Rebuilding front suspension

:rolleyes: It is a work of art isnt it. Tony has yet to marry that unique tub with the frame as far as I know but I bet he cant wait to drive it. The full story and lots more pictures start here:

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....st&p=106610

Stan

Thank you Stan..and your totally bang on, I can't wait to drive it. I will be working on it ALL this weekend (and longer... :D ). I'm sorry there is no dirt on it MI5 (probably due to the fact that it is undergoing a rebuild as Stan alluded), but how that relates to 'manhood', I have absolutely no idea what you are on about.... :blink:

Tony

Edited by Tonymill
  • 4 weeks later...
:(

I didn't notice that.... only the poor rubbers.

I've had a look at the handbook, the brackets and the links are missing... :(

Anything else to be seen.... :(

3712332291_7322ef9639_o.jpg

Thanks for your help!!! :lol:

Tom

Tom

Looking at the picture I would have to say that the lower wishbone mounting bracket is upside down. I have looked in my repair

manual and it shows this bracket mounted the other way round (the 'u' shaped bracket that bolts to the frame).

Simon

Tom

Looking at the picture I would have to say that the lower wishbone mounting bracket is upside down. I have looked in my repair

manual and it shows this bracket mounted the other way round (the 'u' shaped bracket that bolts to the frame).

Simon

Well spotted Simon, they do look upside down. I wonder if that is an accident or part of a lowering strategy ?

Stan

That could well be as it would also increase the negative camber, which would be good for racing but not for general driving as it would increase the tyre wear

on the inside of the tyre. I may be wrong about the camber angle because this may all be set up correctly even with the bracket upside down.

Simon

Tom

Simon

Hi Simon,

thanks, I noticed that as well while taking the suspension apart.

This is what the lower wishbone looked like:

3822145979_4de16caa47_b.jpg

It was probably done to straighten the wheel setting after bodging the front support. The support had torn loose and was simply welded in that bent position. No wonder the right front tyre was squealing in tight turns.

3822979338_1f3a4deb18_b.jpg

You can see the point where the bracket was once welded to the steering rack support.

3822952798_d8eca80341_b.jpg

That tear doesn't inspire much confidence either.... :(

3822952330_1046e73504_b.jpg

Now I'm nearly through with all the mechanical parts, so there can't be very many more bodges.

I'm curious how many newspapers and old road signs I'll find when I start with the body work (in a far away future).

:)

Ciao, Tom

Hi Tom,

I had a front bracket in similar condition to yours (probably not that bad), But I removed it and fitted a new one with new strengtheners. When you do this to yours, remember to measure up everything so you know where to refit. Make a bigger weld with thicker material to the steering rack mount too.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

I've bent the bracket in position and had it welded by a professional welder. I did it that way because I wasn't sure of the measurements and if I would have removed the bracket the position would have gone completely. I'm happy what it looks like, I'll only need to have the suspension aligned.

I thought my bodges are finished, well, they aren't....

I took the sway bar out, cleaned it, painted it, now it doesn't fit. I don't think it's fault of the paint.... :lol:

Maybe I should have checked before painting....

Which car does this sway bar belong to? Diameter 22 mm

3845061806_a59915ddee.jpg

Anybody got a sway bar and wants to send it to Italy?? The shipping will probably cost more than a new one.... :(

Ciao,

Tom, who is getting fed up with bodges.

Which car does this sway bar belong to? Diameter 22 mm

Looks remarkably like the original SAH one that I have for my TR3A (still not fitted after all these years).

If no-one else comes up with an answer, I'll dig mine out and measure it, although I think mine may be a little smaller diameter, so yours could be for a TR4. What is the measurement between fixing holes?

Edited by BrianC
Looks remarkably like the original SAH one that I have for my TR3A (still not fitted after all these years).

If no-one else comes up with an answer, I'll dig mine out and measure it, although I think mine may be a little smaller diameter, so yours could be for a TR4. What is the measurement between fixing holes?

Hi, Brian, you don't have to measure, it was just curiosity. The measurement between the fixing holes is ca. 753 mm.

Tom

Hi, Brian, you don't have to measure, it was just curiosity. The measurement between the fixing holes is ca. 753 mm.

Tom

I was curious too, so I did - and it's clearly not an SAH TR2-3A bar.

FWIW: Mine is 35.25" (895mm) and 5/8" diameter.

Edited by BrianC
  • 1 month later...

I have of course finished my suspension and been to the Euromeet in Germany. It's not quite as nice as Tonys, but I'm happy with it and it's a really big difference with the new bushes.

After sourcing another "normal" anti-roll bar I found out that the originally mounted bar seems to be the upgraded version for the TR6, sold by Moss with the number TT3284. I'll fit that when I start racing! ;)

3992992222_14870acaa2_o.jpg

Thanks for your help with the various bodges,

Tom

I have of course finished my suspension and been to the Euromeet in Germany. It's not quite as nice as Tonys, but I'm happy with it and it's a really big difference with the new bushes.

After sourcing another "normal" anti-roll bar I found out that the originally mounted bar seems to be the upgraded version for the TR6, sold by Moss with the number TT3284. I'll fit that when I start racing! ;)

Thanks for your help with the various bodges,

Tom

Hi Tom,

You're too kind mate. Your suspension is looking the business now. How does it drive with the new poly bushes all round?.

Cheers

Tony

Hi Tom,

You're too kind mate. Your suspension is looking the business now. How does it drive with the new poly bushes all round?.

Cheers

Tony

It's really very good! In the beginning the car wasn't fun to drive (the steering rack moved about 3/4" left and right, the bushes were completely ruined) and I was wondering if it was an good idea of me to buy a classic car or if I should better have bought a MX-5 (I didn't know how it should drive). :(

Now the driving has changed completely and the car is real fun. Well, I'll have to do something about the US-spec engine, but that's already on the list.

I didn't manage to set a neutral camber on the front right hand side (probably the welded front bracket is slightly out of line) so I set both sides on a negative camber of 1,5°, which is probably better than the original setting anyway. I put rebuilt arm dampers in the back, but I'm not very satified with them, the back is very soft - they don't damp a lot. So always a lot to do! :P

Ciao, Tom