Hi Colin,

we were typing our respective thoughts at the same time, and thinking along similar lines.

There is a difference between whether the leading shoe of a leading/trailing arrangement is facing forwards or backwards, forward relative to the direction of travel that is.

Hence the average handbrake with a rear wheel leading/trailing handbrake arrangement works better when travelling forward than it does when travelling backwards . . . . in reverse it's a trailing/leading arrangement.

Or in the case of my Snipe, careless use of the handbrake (on the right of the seat too, for most of us the stronger arm!) in reverse can damn near snap your neck with huge twin trailing becoming leading shoes.

If you look at Don's car, the primary contact (shoe end actuated by the piston end of the cylinder) is leading, whereas In Andrew's case the primary contact is trailing.

In other words, Andrew is trying to lead from behind, as it were. No comments about army officers or his sex life, please :P Just be satisfied with the fact that he's got more stopping power in retreat than most !! :lol:

Switching back plates will amend the situation from trailing/leading to leading/trailing.

Hope that makes sense - I know what I'm trying to say, but an engineer might well explain it better than an amateur enthusiast can manage !! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec/Colin,

thank you for your explanation that read very convincingly and thank you Neil for hurting my head.

Looking at Andrew and Dons lefthand brake assemblies the only difference I can see is that Andrews cyclinder is at 2-o-clock and Dons is at 4-o-clock.

Neil, this is were you are hurting my grey cell, as the wheel rotates anticlockwise it wouldn't matter (or does it) quite where the cyclinder is!!

I appreciate that the piston side of the cylinder will move the shoe against the drum first and then react with the other shoe but this will happen anywhere through 360 degrees.

As has been said the hand brake should work better one way than the other and mine feels, although I haven't tested it, as though it works better backwards but the brakes are assembled as per the manual.

I can see that the leading show will be forced into the drum but can't see how its angular displacement has an affect.

I shall now go and rest.

Roger

Hi Folks

Well, I did get to work on Saturday but decided to go through a process on elimination. I removed the adjusters etc (which slid fine on the back plate, but had some lateral movement) so I fitted new locking plates/spacers and chamfered off all the shoe edges, leading and otherwise just to be sure! Test drove TRK, but only cured the clatter a little. So, next step is to have my drums skimmed - been quoted £25 each; this seems a bit steep, is it?

I have to agree with Colin and others that I can't see rotating the back plate by about 30 degrees being the only solution, other than providing a 'line of sight' for the handbrake, so that will be the last thing I do - so onwards and upwards!

Oh, and guess what I found lurking behind the brake shoes - the steady posts, but they wouldn't budge - yet!

Cheers

Andrew