TR3A - measurement of screws and nuts

Hi all,

Please, could you indicate, what are the most recent measures of screws and nuts used on TR3A and is necessary to have them?

I have become new happy owner of TR3A. I would like to equip my garage with appropriately instruments (mainly spanners and sockets).

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Best regards,

Ondrej

Czech Republic

Hello Ondrej,

Welcome on this forum and welcome in the wonderful world of TRs! I know from experience that visiting this forum and reading all kinds of old topics is very helpful! I've hit the 'search-button' on this page many times and most of the time there was an answer for my questions. I think it's also wise to join the TR Register and become a member. There's a lot of additional info in the magazine every month and there's a CD-Rom from the Register with loads of info, not found on this forum. (Old magazine articles 'how to..' etc).

All nuts are non-metric (as we Europeans are used to). You'll have to buy a 'inch-set', usually referred to as 'AF'. Most well-equiped tool stores sell these spanners. I'm sure they are available in the Czech Republic as well. If not, there are a lot of webshops around that sell these spanners. Just perform a search on google. Mind you, try to buy the best quality you can afford! Good quality tools makes working on a car a lot more pleasant!

There's one brand, Metrinch, that is suited for metric and non-metric nuts and bolds. Again, perform a search.

I hope that you enjoy tinkering and driving your TR as much as the most of us do! And... please post some pics of your car!

Regards,

Menno

Hello Ondrej,

Welcome on this forum and welcome in the wonderful world of TRs! I know from experience that visiting this forum and reading all kinds of old topics is very helpful! I've hit the 'search-button' on this page many times and most of the time there was an answer for my questions. I think it's also wise to join the TR Register and become a member. There's a lot of additional info in the magazine every month and there's a CD-Rom from the Register with loads of info, not found on this forum. (Old magazine articles 'how to..' etc).

All nuts are non-metric (as we Europeans are used to). You'll have to buy a 'inch-set', usually referred to as 'AF'. Most well-equiped tool stores sell these spanners. I'm sure they are available in the Czech Republic as well. If not, there are a lot of webshops around that sell these spanners. Just perform a search on google. Mind you, try to buy the best quality you can afford! Good quality tools makes working on a car a lot more pleasant!

There's one brand, Metrinch, that is suited for metric and non-metric nuts and bolds. Again, perform a search.

I hope that you enjoy tinkering and driving your TR as much as the most of us do! And... please post some pics of your car!

Regards,

Menno

Hi Menno,

thank you for your replay. Of course, I know about AF measurement used on British cars.

I have found many spanners/sockets sets in local shops. But they contain instruments in different sizes. My aim is to choose the most usable and missing pieces buy extra.

That is why I ask for measurement used on TR3A.

Ondrej

Hi Menno,

thank you for your replay. Of course, I know about AF measurement used on British cars.

I have found many spanners/sockets sets in local shops. But they contain instruments in different sizes. My aim is to choose the most usable and missing pieces buy extra.

That is why I ask for measurement used on TR3A.

Ondrej

The most used spanners would be 7/16" 1/2" 9/16" 5/8" 11/16" and 3/4" plus 7/8" for wheel nuts and 1 1/16" for the nut on the steering wheel. Also 2BA is a usefull one for carburettor linkages. If you can as Menno says buy the best quality you can find as you will be using them a lot! ;)

Stuart

The most used spanners would be 7/16" 1/2" 9/16" 5/8" 11/16" and 3/4" plus 7/8" for wheel nuts and 1 1/16" for the nut on the steering wheel. Also 2BA is a usefull one for carburettor linkages. If you can as Menno says buy the best quality you can find as you will be using them a lot! ;)

Stuart

And two of each - one to hold the bolt head, one to fasten the nut - at least for the 7/16" up to 5/8"

Andy

And I would recommend that you pick up either a 3/8" or even 1/4" socket set because some of the fastenings are difficult to access - and that's an understatement.

A TR can definitely fit into the category of "if they made them any more difficult to work on and repair, you wouldn't bother - you'd throw them away and get another one".

Rgds Ian

I bought an extra 1/2" and 9/16" "open-end" which I cut in half so now I can get these short keys into confined spaces such as the nuts on the front of the thermostat housing and to remove the fuel pump. It looks easy in this photo because the front valance of off, but when the valance is on, the shorter key allows you to tighten that nut.

Edited by Don Elliott

Hello Ondrej,

with 3 AF spanner sizes you can do 95% of the TR3a, they are the 7/16, 1/2 and 9/16 and I suggest you have all the spanner/sockets kind such as combination and open spanners and socket drives of 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 for those 3 sizes.

For the Czech Republic I will have a look at Germans and Italian tools such as Hazed, Beta, Usag.

Regards, Guy

Edited by gnotte

Roger - Sorry. I forgot to mention that I also ground the two "tynes" or sides of the 1/2" open end much narrower so it can fit further in. From front to back it was quite thin as it was. Perhaps the one you selelcted is thicker than mine.

Roger - Sorry. I forgot to mention that I also ground the two "tynes" or sides of the 1/2" open end much narrower so it can fit further in. From front to back it was quite thin as it was. Perhaps the one you selelcted is thicker than mine.

Don: He's giving you a bit of a wind up!

Roger. Not in half lengthwise - you silly dilly! :lol: