just trying to fit a front anti roll bar...... instructions say that the sumpgard will already be drilled for the U bolts.....mine isn't.

Anyone got approx measurements from outer edge of plate to the brackets please?

thanks

john

just trying to fit a front anti roll bar...... instructions say that the sumpgard will already be drilled for the U bolts.....mine isn't.

Anyone got approx measurements from outer edge of plate to the brackets please?

Assuming it's the same as the 6 radiator skidplate, 2" to centres.

The fore & aft position is pretty well self-defining according to the kink of the bar so I won't mention a measurement, but the mounts of my standard bar are very near the start of the front upcurve.

Ivor

Assuming it's the same as the 6 radiator skidplate, 2" to centres.

The fore & aft position is pretty well self-defining according to the kink of the bar so I won't mention a measurement, but the mounts of my standard bar are very near the start of the front upcurve.

Ivor

many thanks Ivor....... I'll get back under

john

many thanks Ivor....... I'll get back under

john

John,

Iam sure I was admiring your car at Duxford the other week, where did the 'clock' come from, its very tasty

John,

Iam sure I was admiring your car at Duxford the other week, where did the 'clock' come from, its very tasty

Thanks for that Robin,

the clock is a 'wind up' 8 day from a Russian MIG29. It's got a stop watch, and various resets etc. I bought it from an antiques+collectors fair some years ago, with a tale from the Russian lady selling it that the pilot had fallen on hard times etc...... after buying it, I found a couple more on other stalls....and even more on the internet!

john

P.S what I thought might be a 1/2 day fitting the anti-roll bar has taken two days so far and it's still not on.....! question to self......do I really need it! :(

Edited by johnny250
I hate to ask stupid questions but if you dont, you dont learn.

did the 250 not come with an anti roll bar as standard, I just assumed it did.

No Peter,

no roll bar fitted on mine, there are two 3/8" holes only in the rad guard where something may have been (not the 4 holes as expected for U bolts.)

I think I will use these existing holes anyway and machine up some extra adaptor plates for the U bolts, rather than trying to drill the sump guard, as getting access to the nuts is going to be very difficult. I am fitting an uprated (TR6?) bar kit from Moss.... it wasn't easy getting the drop links attached to suspension and bushes fitted but they are on at last.

john

Edited by johnny250
I hate to ask stupid questions but if you dont, you dont learn.

did the 250 not come with an anti roll bar as standard, I just assumed it did.

Peter

It was an option it only became std fit on the 6 as far as I know

Regards

Neil

My 250 did not have the holes for the ARB, I did have a spare from a TR6 whin I used as a template to allow me to fit an ARB

at a later date. The measurements that I used for mine where 2" inboard from the edge, 0.5" from the forward edge for the front

hole centre and 1.75" centre's.

Simon

My 250 did not have the holes for the ARB, I did have a spare from a TR6 whin I used as a template to allow me to fit an ARB

at a later date. The measurements that I used for mine where 2" inboard from the edge, 0.5" from the forward edge for the front

hole centre and 1.75" centre's.

Simon

John

thanks for the info. I have a Valencia 5 , I bought a radiator shield with the bar and links secondhand from TRGB, stripped, repainted and fitted in a couple of hours. Obviously all the holes for the ARB were already in place etc. I donnt think that the Rad shields are expensive as they are often saved when the chassis is us...

Not standard on a '5' as far as I am aware

Correct, thats why I bought one from a 6 chassis that was scrap, ARB and radshield with drop links (US) and brackets to connect to wishbones, cheap and easily fitted.

All fitted OK now, I ended up fitting the rubber bushes to the bar before fitting the drop links to the suspension arms, in reverse order to instructions.

I did find afterwards that one of my welding clamps with 'U' shape jaws fitted and compressed the bushes perfectly...... hindsight is a wonderful thing :mellow:

I made up some plates to accept the U bolts and fixed them to chassis with the existing single 3/8" hole....seems to work OK.

john

All fitted OK now, I ended up fitting the rubber bushes to the bar before fitting the drop links to the suspension arms, in reverse order to instructions.

I did find afterwards that one of my welding clamps with 'U' shape jaws fitted and compressed the bushes perfectly...... hindsight is a wonderful thing :mellow:

I made up some plates to accept the U bolts and fixed them to chassis with the existing single 3/8" hole....seems to work OK.

john

John

AND have you noticed a difference in handling ?I only ask as I frankly didnt notice much of a difference, I'd already done all the bushes etc and new shocks .

A bit late to mention this :( but your rad skid will now be under cyclic load as the arb tries to shove it up and down - be worth checking that the skid/chassis rail bolts are tight. Mine had been run untight at some time and ovaled the holes in the ends of the rails as well as necking the bolts.

Ivor

Thanks for that tip Ivor, no doubt i'll be getting under there again when we return from Le Continent.

Robin, I've only had a quick blast around the block so far, to make sure the wheels still go round. It felt 'stiffer' all round.....but it could have been the Kings new Clothes syndrome....... we'll see when I try it out over distance

john