Can anyone help with this? My Tr2 runs fine at speed but pulling away from a standstill or low speed it often feels more like a kangaroo as the engine revs surge up and down. De-clutching and trying again seems the only solution.

The car has twin H4 SU's and I've done the normal checks and everything seems in order, but I'm obviously missed a trick somewhere!

Can anyone help with this? My Tr2 runs fine at speed but pulling away from a standstill or low speed it often feels more like a kangaroo as the engine revs surge up and down. De-clutching and trying again seems the only solution.

The car has twin H4 SU's and I've done the normal checks and everything seems in order, but I'm obviously missed a trick somewhere!

Have you plenty of oil in the dashpots?

Regards Jack

Have you plenty of oil in the dashpots?

Regards Jack

Hi, Thanks fur the suggestion. There is plenty of oil in the dashpots. I have used 10/40 oil. The car has done this since I brought it 6 months ago.

Regards

Graham

Does it happen when the engine is hot, or does it happen all the time? I'm thinking about some sort of vapour lock. After all, the fuel pipe is running close to the engine.

You state the cars does this trick from the moment you've bought the car. Perhaps you can compare the situation of your car with an other.

Second possibility that comes to my mind: did you check the vacuum advance mechanism of you car: does the diaphragm work correctly?

As said, it's a good thing to compare your car with a car that's functioning fine, I think.

Menno

Now dont laugh , are the engine mountings good, poor mountings make the throttle linkage have a mind of its own, especially if the linkage

is in poor nick as well.

Now dont laugh , are the engine mountings good, poor mountings make the throttle linkage have a mind of its own, especially if the linkage

is in poor nick as well.

Good point, as I found out today. I crossed some speedbumps today (I like the expression 'Sleeping Policeman' better, though!) and although driving with modest speed, I noticed some kickback under my right foot! The acc. pedal is more or less directly linked to the engine, where other cars have a cable operated system! I think that soft enginge mountings can easily cause this type of problems!

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij
Good point, as I found out today. I crossed some speedbumps today (I like the expression 'Sleeping Policeman' better, though!) and although driving with modest speed, I noticed some kickback under my right foot! The acc. pedal is more or less directly linked to the engine, where other cars have a cable operated system! I think that soft enginge mountings can easily cause this type of problems!

Menno

Thanks for your sugestions. The engine mountings were faulty when I got the car, the engine was sitting low, but was disapointed as replacing them made little difference to this problem. I wonder if the vapour lock idea might be the cause as it does seem worse when the engine is hot.

Never owned an early TR before, but have had experience of older cars, so don't think its my driving.

Regards

Graham

If you have an inline fuel filter fitted check it. Had a simular problem and turned out to be a clogged up filter

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan, the car has no additional filter but feels it maybe a fuel starvation problem. But sustained 80MPH? No problem

Hi Alan, the car has no additional filter but feels it maybe a fuel starvation problem. But sustained 80MPH? No problem

At sustained speed you wont be drawing anywhere near as much fuel as when accelerating. So check pump and also float levels as if they are too low it will also not help. But also check bob weights are moving freely in the distributor.

Stuart

Guest colinTR2

Graham

A suggestion not yet posted. I find mine occasionally doing the kangaroo thing, I then remove foot from the loud peddle and push the heel of that foot further forward so that my foot is actually as vertical as possible on the peddle, this always seems to help to give more throttle control. The one time I have a real problem is on rough grass, then just on and off with the throttle.

Colin

Graham

A suggestion not yet posted. I find mine occasionally doing the kangaroo thing, I then remove foot from the loud peddle and push the heel of that foot further forward so that my foot is actually as vertical as possible on the peddle, this always seems to help to give more throttle control. The one time I have a real problem is on rough grass, then just on and off with the throttle.

Colin

Thanks Colin. I do get the impression that the problem is most likely to occur pulling away on bumpy roads, and its the throttle linkage that is being effected. Its why I was surprised changing the front engine mountings didn't make any difference. I'm sure my throttle control can be improved and will try your suggestion but I still believe there is a problem with the car.

Regards

Graham

Menno

Thanks, Menno. I have changed them. Still thinkyou are on the right lines though.

I do get the impression that the problem is most likely to occur pulling away on bumpy roads, and its the throttle linkage that is being effected.

You can probably prove or disprove this theory by driving a suitable bumpy route in bare feet - it makes you more careful and sensitive on the loud pedal. Maybe wise to keep the left shoe on though :rolleyes:

The throttle linkages can be set so that even the most feather like touch acts directly on the carbs. or you can set it so that there are a couple of cms play in the pedal before it acts on the carbs. the latter makes it all far more controlable

andy

Edited by 67_gt6
The throttle linkages can be set so that even the most feather like touch acts directly on the carbs. or you can set it so that there are a couple of cms play in the pedal before it acts on the carbs. the latter makes it all far more controlable

andy

Thanks, Andy. I believe there is very little play in the linkage so I will see what it feels like with more free play, after I've tried Brian's idea of driving barefoot.

Back in the 1950s, Juan Fangio, Stirling Moss, Mike Hawthorne and all the others would race with only soft moccasins on their feet. These were made of soft leather like that which is used for fine kid gloves. And that's why the sidescreen TRs have a smooth surface on the throttle pedal so they could have the finest feel of the throttle while racing.

Another innovation for the TR. Bet most of you were not aware of this.

Brian's suggestion would mirror this technique.

And to add my 2p: when the engine is could, you're probably using the choke, thus more or less revving the engine without the use of the accellerator pedal, so it's possible that you will not notice the kangeroo-effect caused by the loud pedal when the engine is cold.

Menno

Edited by Menno van Rij
Dear Kangaroo TR2

Isolved my jerky takeoffs and bouncing acceleration by having Racetorations of Gainsborough fit one of their cable accelerators. This cured the problem. Their workmanship is first class.

Barco2

Thanks for everyones ideas and suggestions. I will have a play at the weekend and report back.

post-7343-1239874942_thumb.jpg

post-7343-1239874942_thumb.jpg

I've had a good play this weekend. The main problem is definitely accelerator bounce and using better throttle control does improve matters no end. I have also balanced the carburettors and ignition timing so I'm happy again now.

I think the ultimate cure will be the suggested cable conversion that I may do in the future, but for the time being the car is very usable.

I think I it felt it was worse when the engine was hot is because of the choke action and the first mile from where I live is smooth.

Anyway, thanks for all your help