TR7/8 Power Steering

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to install an SD1 power steering assembly to a TR7 V8 and if so are you able to provide any istructions, hints or tips to enable me to do the same

Hi Kemsing56, and welcome!

You wouldn't be the owner of the silvery-gold TR7\V8 spotted in Kemsing a few weeks back, would you? It had a very distinctive V8 badge right in the center of the front... and I actually deferred to it, but only because it had right-of-way! It looked a bit of a bruiser!

Maxwell :rolleyes:

Hi Kemsing,

As Maxwell says, Welcome to the forum.

Im sure there are others on here with far more experience of SD1 power stering rack conversions - however i was able to find a fair amount of info in the "Roger Williams book - How to improve Triumph TR7 TR7-V8 & TR8"

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Kemsing56, and welcome!

You wouldn't be the owner of the silvery-gold TR7\V8 spotted in Kemsing a few weeks back, would you? It had a very distinctive V8 badge right in the center of the front... and I actually deferred to it, but only because it had right-of-way! It looked a bit of a bruiser!

Maxwell :rolleyes:

Hi Maxwell,

I am currently in the processof rebuilding my TR7 to include a 3.5 V8, I also recently acquired a green standard Green DHC which you may well notice in and around Kemsing. The Gold 4.6 V8 bruiser belongs to Jim a friend of mine who likes nothing better than sprinting said vehicle at every opportunity.

Simon

Hi Kemsing,

As Maxwell says, Welcome to the forum.

Im sure there are others on here with far more experience of SD1 power stering rack conversions - however i was able to find a fair amount of info in the "Roger Williams book - How to improve Triumph TR7 TR7-V8 & TR8"

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the info I have managed to locate a copy of said book on a UK website and am in the process of ordering a copy

Cheers

Simon

Hi All,

Has anyone managed to install an SD1 power steering assembly to a TR7 V8 and if so are you able to provide any istructions, hints or tips to enable me to do the same

Hi,

I installed an original TR8 power steering rack on my car but I took it off, sold it on eBay, and fitted an S&S electromechanical system instead, leaving me more space in the engine compartment where the p/s pump and reservoir used to be. The S&S system works well, but it is not cheap. Robsport also have a system, which I think is hydraulic. If you are fitting an SD1 system :rolleyes: I think the rack needs to be drilled to fit the subframe as the holes are in the wrong place. Personally I would go for a more modern system if possible.

Cheers Ian

Ian Davidson

:rolleyes:

It's an awful lot cheaper to buy a couple of old crankshafts from the scrappie and get your arms in training . . . .

unless of course you have a medical problem, in which case power steering is obviously the appropriate option.

Too many thoughts of power steering stem from a badly set-up front end.

Cheers,

Alec

It's an awful lot cheaper to buy a couple of old crankshafts from the scrappie and get your arms in training . . . .

unless of course you have a medical problem, in which case power steering is obviously the appropriate option.

Too many thoughts of power steering stem from a badly set-up front end.

Cheers,

Alec

Agree

I drove my 8 for three years with no PAS and with 195's on the front and correct tyres pressures it is well ballanced and the only time you realy notice the weight on the steering is parking, but you only do that once each time you drive it :lol:

My replica has POS but running 8" fronts and it is VERY light, also the old setups were not progressive and therefore takes a lot of feel out of the steering, I would stick with manual.

Chris

hi Simon,

Having given you the info about the book, I would like to add that i'm with Chris and Alec on this one myself -

I run my 8 without power steering. As Alec says a lot of the steering problems are down to lack of maintenance/ set up - just checking tyre pressures helps. The upper swivels are more often than not just forgotten about, they work alot better with fresh lubricant. Has the rack been regreased. What sort of condition is the steering shaft with the universal joints in? Are the ball joints and tracjk rod ends in good condition?

Before going out and spending a truck load of money, I would be in favour of a really good service.

Cheers

Ian