gearbox tunnel cover

This may seem an interesting question but how different are the gearbox tunnel covers as we go thru the various tr models. I don't have a tunnel cover for my 55 TR3 so I am looking at having one fabricated using a borrowed cover as the template. Then I see our local Tr Register here in NZ has in the spares dept tunnel covers for 4/6 made in either plastic or fibreglass.

Question will the cover for a latter model Tr fit my 3. The gearboxs seem to be interchangable so I assume the tunnel profiles are similar.

Your thoughts as always appreciated. Cheers jim

I am fairly sure the covers from TR4-6 do not fit the sidescreen cars. Furthermore, I would stick with a steel cover if possible, as it provideds greater rigidity and reduces scuttle-shake.

On the later cars, there is only the choice of fibreboard originals or reproduction fibreglass or plastic. I fitted a fibreglass one in my previous TR4A and it required a lot of bodging to make it fit correctly, and more importantly, to make it water-tight. It also seemed less rigid than the decaying fibreboard one it replaced, but perhaps modern fibreglass covers are better. Lynda's current TR4A came with a good quality plastic cover which seems to fit well and is far more rigid.

Edited by BrianC

Hi Jim,

I think the main problem you will encounter is that the floor curvetures around the gearbox will not line up, and possibly the bulkhead fixings. I had a look in the parts book but it was'nt that clear. Definately steel though, for the rigidity

Cheers, peterm

Jim the 4a type wont fit as the floor shapes are different and the front flange is different as well. You definitely need a steel one for a sidescreen car as the rigidity really helps.

Stuart.

Thanks guys

I guess i knew it wouldn't/ couldn't be that simple. i will revert to my original thought of getting one fabricated in steel.. i hadn't thought of the benefit of the extra rigidity previously, until you metioned it.

Progress has been slow over the last 6-9 mnths on the resto. Time and money etc etc. But we are slowly getting back on the job .. We are are currentlt trial fitting the tub on the chassis and finishing off the panel work. 3/4 of that is now done so I expect to be painting the tub some time latter in the year. Then will come the big question of what colour. Currently I am thinking that Salvador blue looks like a possibility. Can anyone assist with the paint code or modern equilivent. I have only seen cars reported to be painted in salvadore blue on the web and I'm unsure of how accurate their representations are.

Thanks guys

I guess i knew it wouldn't/ couldn't be that simple. i will revert to my original thought of getting one fabricated in steel.. i hadn't thought of the benefit of the extra rigidity previously, until you metioned it.

Progress has been slow over the last 6-9 mnths on the resto. Time and money etc etc. But we are slowly getting back on the job .. We are are currentlt trial fitting the tub on the chassis and finishing off the panel work. 3/4 of that is now done so I expect to be painting the tub some time latter in the year. Then will come the big question of what colour. Currently I am thinking that Salvador blue looks like a possibility. Can anyone assist with the paint code or modern equilivent. I have only seen cars reported to be painted in salvadore blue on the web and I'm unsure of how accurate their representations are.

Jim the car in my avatar pic is a Salvador blue one and I think there is a current Rover formulation for it although I dont have the reference number to hand at the moment. I will check tomorrow.

Stuart

Hi Jim

I too have a spare steel cover, it needs a bit of repair but quite minor, if it was cut into four pieces, (it's got to be easier to weld together than starting from scratch), and nested, it should fall into Parcelforces pricing scheme, it actually weighs 5.4 Kg, but it's the volume that matters, and would seem to cost about £95, and would take "from 7 days". If it's of any interest, let me know and I'll look into it further.

Regards John

Thanks john for the offer, I have been sidetracked to Australia for the last week with a family emergency and have been offline till now. I will still be over here for at least another week, and have logged on in an internet cafe. I will be in touch when I get back home and can think a bit more clearly. Cheers jim