volt gauge

hi guys

have been replacing the amp meter with a volt metre

understand the volt metre is taken of the ignition switch so rather than

remove the ignition switch i took it from the fuse box were the ignition switch

is connected but it did not work

set up-----wire from ignition switch to volt gauge then earthed

connected the volt gauge to the battery nothing is the gauge U/S or am i doing something wrong

regards pinky

hi guys

connected the volt gauge to the battery nothing is the gauge U/S or am i doing something wrong

regards pinky

afraid it sounds like you could have fried the voltmeter when you disconnected the battery with engine on full chat Pinky......

There are other switched 12Volt points a bit closer to the meter....(heater switch for example)

john

Edited by johnny250

If you earth the negative side of the voltmeter and connect the positive side to the battery, through a fuse for protection, the pointer should slowly climb to the battery voltage.

If it does not, is your battery charged and are you certain of the polarity of the meter terminals?

It won't give an instant reading, wait a few seconds for it to respond.

hi guys

regards pinky

Hi Pinky,

Without a means for testing your voltmeter remotely, I don't know if you have cooked it, but connecting directly across the battery should give a decent reading, but as others have said, you need to give it time to respond. (typically 10 seconds or so). Some voltmeters are polarised so make sure you connect it the right way around.

As a general rule, volts are measured across something, and amps are measured through something, so Ammeters need to be in-line with what you are measuring, whereas voltmeters can be used to measure volts between any point and ground. So connect the negative side of the voltmeter to a ground point and then prod the other end onto whatever you want to measure.

In a car, because the battery voltage is relatively low and most electrical devices draw quite a lot of current, wires tend to lose some voltage due to their resistance, so always better to measure battery voltage as close to the battery as possible.

Good luck

TT

Hi Pinky,

Without a means for testing your voltmeter remotely, I don't know if you have cooked it, but connecting directly across the battery should give a decent reading, but as others have said, you need to give it time to respond. (typically 10 seconds or so). Some voltmeters are polarised so make sure you connect it the right way around.

As a general rule, volts are measured across something, and amps are measured through something, so Ammeters need to be in-line with what you are measuring, whereas voltmeters can be used to measure volts between any point and ground. So connect the negative side of the voltmeter to a ground point and then prod the other end onto whatever you want to measure.

In a car, because the battery voltage is relatively low and most electrical devices draw quite a lot of current, wires tend to lose some voltage due to their resistance, so always better to measure battery voltage as close to the battery as possible.

Good luck

TT

Hi TT

Thanks for the info

It turned out to be the volt gauge U/S

I had another one, this one worked but had a red needle

sorted that out got the gloss paint out and with a very thin brush painted it white

matches in very nicely :rolleyes:

regards pink

Hi TT

Thanks for the info

It turned out to be the volt gauge U/S

I had another one, this one worked but had a red needle

sorted that out got the gloss paint out and with a very thin brush painted it white

matches in very nicely :rolleyes:

regards pink

Hi Pink,

Sorry to hear the gauge is U/S.

Speedy Cables may offer a repair service. (I honestly don't know if they do). I have found them very helpful, but there may be other companies who do similar things.

TT