Spluttering

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get my TR6 back on the road again soon. I have been out of action since the summer when my other car (Mercedes) saved my life after being hit head-on by a 32 tonne truck!!

Last time I used the TR6 (back in August), it was spluttering terribly when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears. Once it got to about 60mph, it ran fine, but to get there was rather juddery and kept spluttering in the lower gears.

I have put in new plugs, points, condensor, coil, oil and fuel - is there anything else you can reccommend please?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

post-6258-1233836753_thumb.jpg

post-6258-1233836753_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get my TR6 back on the road again soon. I have been out of action since the summer when my other car (Mercedes) saved my life after being hit head-on by a 32 tonne truck!!

Last time I used the TR6 (back in August), it was spluttering terribly when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd gears. Once it got to about 60mph, it ran fine, but to get there was rather juddery and kept spluttering in the lower gears.

I have put in new plugs, points, condensor, coil, oil and fuel - is there anything else you can reccommend please?

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Andy, congratulations on surviving that mess. I hope you were able to polish out the scratches on the Merc.

It sounds like you have gone through the ignition side, now time to look into the fuel delivery (injectors, MU, filter, pump etc) I guess.

Stan

Bit of a lucky escape, good job it wasn’t the soft top TR! :blink:

Could be any one of a number of things or a combination of several; it’s a process of elimination really. Start by ensuring the problems is definitely not electrically related; there have been some distinctly dodgy repro rotor arms about & it may be worth replacing both the rotor & cap for good quality replacements; check/change plug leads for modern silicone; check/adjust ignition timing; do you have an electronic ignition fitted? For good measure, you could do a compression test as well.

Once you’re happy the electrics are OK, time to concentrate in the fuel system; I would always renew the fuel filter & check/adjust the fuel line pressure to start of with as it could be as simple as that - too low & it will misfire under acceleration & never develop max power; check you don’t have a blockage at the tank or anywhere else for that matter; bleed & check the injectors for weeping & spray pattern; check the metering unit distributor is correctly timed; check the condition/seal of the vacuum hose from the centre inlet manifold to the top of the metering unit; check fuel is returning to the tank from the PRV & metering unit bleed off; how is the age/condition of the metering unit?

This problem is common & comes up very regularly, there are lots of archive posts about how to do all of the above & a link to some free Lucas fault finding documentation so use the search facility & have a read up; come back with specifics if you need. ;)

Oh I forgot; check condition of the throttle bodies & butterfly synchronisation.

Edited by Richard Crawley

Hi andy

Hope you sued the arse off um ,cos that netting looks a bit under strenght to hold that lot back.

I had similar problem few months back, my throttle linkage was all out of sink with thw butterflys opening in a staggered fasion ,adjusted by sight then had them by vacume.

alan

Hi Andy,

the netting is there to keep the dust under control not from tunnelling Merc's

I'm jolly glad that I bought some cheap shares in 'T-cut'.

Glad to hear your OK.

Roger

Whenever I've had spluttering (unless its the ale) its been a dodgy injector, have had one or two get tired on me on my last 3 TR's, £20 and fixed...