Check this £40k TR4A out.... and a Question

Hi Badfrog

The other mod for when it is really hot linked to elec fan pic before fitting in the tube

Cheers

Neil

Now that would make Guy de Lombard speechless. :lol::lol:

Cheers,

All,

I'm sure the purists will hate it but I love the look and spec of this car: http://www.royal-falcon.de/Fahrzeugangebot...4_A_IRS_.html#5

Anyone else removed their bumpers?

Anyway, my real question is, are those side grille vents specially made? Are they cut into your own existing panels, or is this a remanufactured wing thing?

John :huh:

:angry:CAUTION - PERHAPS UNRELATED, BUT THIS LINK JUST COMPLETELY LOCKED UP MY COMPUTER - REQUIRING A RE-BOOT. :angry:

Edited by angelfj
:angry:CAUTION - PERHAPS UNRELATED, BUT THIS LINK JUST COMPLETELY LOCKED UP MY COMPUTER - REQUIRING A RE-BOOT. :angry:

Frank that must be your end as no problem here. Maybe your new administration has their eye on you! ;)

Stuart.

No problem with the link either.

The complete set of photos shows an interesting lateral view: The vent is oversized. Nothing to do with the original VC's vent or the replica made by Revington.

I must add that it is totally disproportionate in my view. Of course anybody has the right to do whatever he wants with personal property. Nevertheless, I dub it a "don't" in function AND aesthetics.

Bumper removal has one advantage : just weight the removed parts. It also has one main drawback: explain to the local force that it's not legal but "tolerated". Then pay the fine. :lol::lol:

Ask me how I know.....

Cheers,

It also has one main drawback: explain to the local force that it's not legal but "tolerated". Then pay the fine. :lol::lol:

Ask me how I know.....

Cheers,[/quote

Thats a cheek considering every car today has no effective bumpers! ;)

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Am I allowed to call myself the 'horse's mouth' regarding front wing vents ? I hope so, because they first appeared on 'works' TR4 rally cars when I was administering the team.

** They most certainly did work, and very well too - but you must remember that 'works' rally cars always ran with big sump shields in place (absolutely full-length shields for the Liege, RAC and, I think, Shell 4000 rallies) to preserve the sumps on rough roads. These, naturally, made a lot of difference to the air flow under the bonnet.

** The profile of those vents was self determining - look in the engine bay and see where other panels, inner wheelarches, etc, line up.

** The chrome grilles were, indeed, cut down from the Herald grille of the period.

GRAHAM ROBSON

Am I allowed to call myself the 'horse's mouth' regarding front wing vents ? I hope so, because they first appeared on 'works' TR4 rally cars when I was administering the team.

** They most certainly did work, and very well too - but you must remember that 'works' rally cars always ran with big sump shields in place (absolutely full-length shields for the Liege, RAC and, I think, Shell 4000 rallies) to preserve the sumps on rough roads. These, naturally, made a lot of difference to the air flow under the bonnet.

GRAHAM ROBSON

Graham,

I think you've given us the true secret of it: the full-length undershields. Without these, no scoop effect, no positive air pressure in the bay and the surface depression on the wing is the only force at work. Thus aspiration from the grille sucks up air in the vicinity of the carbs as there is no positive pressure to take advantage of.

With the shield, hot air from the bay is not aspirated but naturally forced out by positive pressure and the carbs are not disturbed.

Certainly explain why the test I read about was negative. The car was plain standard without any shield. So, if you want the system to work, you need both.

Side vents alone are meaningless, just like big carbs without an adapted camshaft and distribution.

Cheers,

Edited by Badfrog
Graham,

I think you've given us the true secret of it: the full-length undershields. Without these, no scoop effect, no positive air pressure in the bay and the surface depression on the wing is the only force at work. Thus aspiration from the grille sucks up air in the vicinity of the carbs as there is no positive pressure to take advantage of.

With the shield, hot air from the bay is not aspirated but naturally forced out by positive pressure and the carbs are not disturbed.

Certainly explain why the test I read about was negative. The car was plain standard without any shield. So, if you want the system to work, you need both.

Side vents alone are meaningless, just like big carbs without an adapted camshaft and distribution.

Cheers,

Badfrog/ Graham

Graham: Thank you for confiirming my own experience, they work!

Badfrog: My apologies, in our earlier wing vent debate I think I forgot to mention that, as my car is a pretty faithful works rep, I have a works style full undertray (which explains why the vents work on my car)

This photo just shows the leading edge of the shield and the tow eye. As you can see it closes off the underbelly from just below the rad, full width to the chassis rails and past the sump!

I don't think that these are the correct grilles if that's whats being attempted .......
(Sorry I'm late entering into all this. ;) ) Correct, Tony. The grille here appears to be from the original Spitfire 4 or possibly the Vitesse 6 (same mesh; different size grilles).