TR3A and overdrive

Hi All.

What would be involved in fitting overdrive to a non overdrive 3a car?

I assume that i would need to source a new box with overdrive fitted, so what type of box would fit?

Another question your thoughts on liable cost 1 k?

Regards and Thanks

Guy

Guy

A decent rebuilt A Type overdrive will cost you £500 - £750 ish

Then you need to source the switches and fitting it all together - then you probably need a new clutch while your there....etc

I would budget £1500 ish to be realistic.

Regards

Mark

Hi Guy

Retro fitting overdrive is well documented, the easiest way is to obtain a complete gearbox and overdrive, but expect to pay a tad over £1k for a reconditioned unit. The gearbox/overdrive is a straight swop for the non overdrive box, and any TR box will fit, with the proviso that the later 4 synchro boxes have a thicker bellhousing which adds 15mm to the length and you will need to modify or replace the rear mounting. The only other job is to wire in the electrical switches, which is straight forward.

If your existing box is in good nick, you could contemplate adding an overdrive to it, but this is definitely not a do it yourself job for the inexperienced. The long extended output shaft has to be replaced with a short one and the overdrive and adapter plate added, and the gearbox top has to be drilled and tapped for the inhibitor switches.

Some people have used saloon overdrive boxes, which tend to be comparatively cheap, but have mounting and speedo drive angle, problems.

If you or anybody else is interested, I have (somewhere) got a short shaft, an adapter plate, an A type overdrive (condition uknown), a non overdrive box, and a saloon A type overdrive box (also condition unkown), all these I need to sell as I have acquired enough OD boxes for my present needs.

Regards John

Guy,

I looked at 2 cars yesterday - a white TR3A & a dark blue TR3A both overpriced and nasty welding all over the inner body tub! - both located in the midlands and with dealers....(not TR Dealers)

I've still got you on the list Guy - the right car will eventually turn up!

Regards

Mark

Guy,

I looked at 2 cars yesterday - a white TR3A & a dark blue TR3A both overpriced and nasty welding all over the inner body tub! - both located in the midlands and with dealers....(not TR Dealers)

Regards

Mark

If that was at Bob's then I looked at the White one last year. Deseamed wings and lots of filler, in very poor condition for the amount of money being asked. I am glad I was passing that way, as I would have hated to have made a trip there just to see that car.

Guy do you need overdive on the Isle of White? :D

Keep looking.

Guy,

Regards

Mark

Mark,

There are some bad ones out there as am sure you know, from what i have found the owners are very sincere in what has been done

and then surprised when you turn it down. Think you have to be sure the bloke doing the work for you knows what he is doing, and another

thought maybe you pay for what you get. :blink:

Have my finger in a couple of pies, will see what happens

Regards

Guy

Keep looking.

Hi Jack,

Hows you baby doing, you still have to post some photos... :rolleyes:

I wouldnt know if you need overdrive on the Isle of Wight, perhaps you should ask Pinky, :P

However i do live on an even smaller Island very close to Frogland (sorry Badfrog again) ,

and overdrive would be very useful on some of those lovely uncluttered French roads :rolleyes::lol:

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
If that was at Bob's then I looked at the White one last year. Deseamed wings and lots of filler, in very poor condition for the amount of money being asked. I am glad I was passing that way, as I would have hated to have made a trip there just to see that car.

Keep looking.

Hi Jack,

were is the Isle of White, I no were the Isle of Wight is as i live there. :rolleyes:

yea we do need overdrive on the island as we have some fast roads often a little bid nerve racking for overners though :P

are you referring to the three that was for sale on the Island last year for four grand? :blink:

regards pinky

Hi Jack,

were is the Isle of White, I no were the Isle of Wight is as i live there. :rolleyes:

yea we do need overdrive on the island as we have some fast roads often a little bid nerve racking for overners though :P

are you referring to the three that was for sale on the Island last year for four grand? :blink:

regards pinky

Hi Pinky,

Just thought I would spell it the way it should be. :P:D

No the Car I was referring to was near the NEC. White TR3a, May be the same one Marko went to see.

Hi Guy,

If its fine tomorrow, I will take some new pics and post them. The roads up here are too salty to take it out at the moment, so its getting new parts fitted and some Q50 sprayed into its cavities.

Can't make my mind up which too buy for it, new chrome spoked wheels to replace the steel ones, or a carcoon to keep it snug in the garage. Can't have both, as her indoors will want something for herself.

Regards Jack

Edited by Jack Horner
Hi Pinky,

Just thought I would spell it the way it should be. :P:D

No the Car I was referring to was near the NEC. White TR3a, May be the same one Marko went to see.

Hi Guy,

If its fine tomorrow, I will take some new pics and post them. The roads up here are too salty to take it out at the moment, so its getting new parts fitted and some Q50 sprayed into its cavities.

Can't make my mind up which too buy for it, new chrome spoked wheels to replace the steel ones, or a carcoon to keep it snug in the garage. Can't have both, as her indoors will want something for herself.

Regards Jack

Hi Jack,

I made the same error, White Wight or even Pink in Pinkys case... :lol:

A solution to you quandary re wheels / carcoon, could always part ex her indoors then you could have both. ;):blink:

Look forward to photos .

Regards

Guy