So what's all this Sprint/Hillclimb stuff about then?

Right, the good old red TR4 that Ade and I campaigned a while back looks like it might be back on the road soon. I'm not planning to rally it in the foreseeable as I'm also prepping a BMW 2002tii for that purpose, but I might be tempted to enter the RotT and LeJog in Nov/Dec. In the meantime I want to get out and use it in some form of motorsport but I'm not sure what's the best route. A local pal/occasional navigator takes his Elva Courier sprinting and hillclimbing and this sounds like fun but not too stressful (compared to a night road rally or LeJog for instance) ... does anyone out there who does this stuff have any hints/tips about how/where to get started, what sort of licence I need, what sort of stuff do they look for at scrutineering, how does the scoring/class system work, what's the TR Register championship all about, anything else you can think of that might help???

Thanks a lot in advance, Andy Lane

Right, the good old red TR4 that Ade and I campaigned a while back looks like it might be back on the road soon. I'm not planning to rally it in the foreseeable as I'm also prepping a BMW 2002tii for that purpose, but I might be tempted to enter the RotT and LeJog in Nov/Dec. In the meantime I want to get out and use it in some form of motorsport but I'm not sure what's the best route. A local pal/occasional navigator takes his Elva Courier sprinting and hillclimbing and this sounds like fun but not too stressful (compared to a night road rally or LeJog for instance) ... does anyone out there who does this stuff have any hints/tips about how/where to get started, what sort of licence I need, what sort of stuff do they look for at scrutineering, how does the scoring/class system work, what's the TR Register championship all about, anything else you can think of that might help???

Hi Andy

I don't think I could begin to answer all your questions (my typing skills are not up to it) but agood start would be the Championship Website which gives you pointers on how to get started. The website will give the regs including the scoring system which is a class bogeytime system so in theory anyone can win. If your car is prepared for rallying I would have thought it would be OK it is largely safety stuff such as throttle return springs yellow earth lead timing strut full harness with four points metal barrier between tank and driver off switch marked accordingly and shed as much weight as possible. A national B licence is sufficient.

Why not come along to Gurston Down nr Salisbury on the 19th April and talk it through with any of the drivers or phone me on 01403 242489.

Regards

John

Andy

I found this useful Getting started

Why not come along to Gurston Down nr Salisbury on the 19th April and talk it through with any of the drivers or phone me on 01403 242489.

Regards

John

Thanks for the info John, sounds very encouraging as I shouldn't have to get a different licence or modify the car too much. Sadly the 19th April clashes with the Ilkley Jubilee Rally which is one of the few classic rallies I thought I'd try to do this year, but I'll have a look at the rest of the calendar.

Cheers, Andy

P.S. Thanks also to Alec and V8again for the links - I'll have a look at them now.

• 3 weeks later...

Andy,

What a sensible decision. The TR S&HC Championship website is no longer up to date but if you look in the Competition News area of the TR Register site you should be able to find everything you need including the ability to download the necessary Registration documents. Take a look and if you then have any questions please drop me an e-mail.

Roger McEwen

Thanks for the info John, sounds very encouraging as I shouldn't have to get a different licence or modify the car too much. Sadly the 19th April clashes with the Ilkley Jubilee Rally which is one of the few classic rallies I thought I'd try to do this year, but I'll have a look at the rest of the calendar.

Cheers, Andy

P.S. Thanks also to Alec and V8again for the links - I'll have a look at them now.

Andy,

Last year we did a bit of sprinting & hillclimbing and the Ilkley Jubilee (TR3A). Just sent off the entry form for the Tour of Cheshire in March. Not sure about the Jubilee this year at the moment as it's the day after a forest rally that Ian (co-driver) may be competing in. Look forward to seeing you on the circuits, hills and rallies. And if you're serious about doing LeJog, perhaps we could hook up with another and put a team entry in and benefit from reduced fees? I think 3 need to appy as a team at the same time.

regards Kev

• 2 weeks later...

See you both on the ToC then ..... Im told that Rob Kiff will be sitting beside me ..... and that we may campaign 3VC again just to keep the delicious thing out there in rally land .....

I fancy giving BST a go on the Hillclimbs Andy - shall we hold hands and be the newbies ? lots of serious, fast and light competitors out there I understand ..... and lots of 6 cylinder motors ....

Regards

Tony

Andy,

Last year we did a bit of sprinting & hillclimbing and the Ilkley Jubilee (TR3A). Just sent off the entry form for the Tour of Cheshire in March. Not sure about the Jubilee this year at the moment as it's the day after a forest rally that Ian (co-driver) may be competing in. Look forward to seeing you on the circuits, hills and rallies. And if you're serious about doing LeJog, perhaps we could hook up with another and put a team entry in and benefit from reduced fees? I think 3 need to appy as a team at the same time.

regards Kev

I guess you don't mean this kind of hillclimbing!

Exeter Trial 2009 Simms 2009 inside TR7

outside

MikeW