front spoiler

Hiya Pinky,

2 years ago I had my bumper chromed and so removed the spoiler as a matter of course and decidedto repaint it. I went for black gloss after having stripped off the old stuff and rubbed it down. I think is must be made of fibre glass or something similar. As for the finish. Well personally I think I did a **** job because although I gave it a base coat then 5-6 top coats with a spray can the finish is sort of grained. I shall watch your replies with interest. <_<

Hi Pinky.

When I restored my daily driver Dolly Sprint I had for 11 yrs, it was a long term rolling resto!! I stripped it and reshelled it,painted it dark red etc!!

I repainted the front spoiler, IIRC they are made of moulded glass fibre and have a rough grainy finish.

I gave it a damned good clean with white spirit,sprayed it with 2/3 coats of etch primer,then I used up 2 or 3 x 500 ml spray cans of Simoniz satin black until I was happy with the finish!!

I had no probs with peeling paint !!

I havent got one on my 6 and I am not going to fit one,as they were not fitted to the early cars!!

Cheers Dave

hi guys

has anybody painted the front spoiler it is made of a sort of plastic /nylon is it paint able i was thinking about a mat black ?

regards pink

Hi Pinky,

What colour is your motor green or dark blue, just i read it referred to on another thread as green <_<

I have seen spoilers painted body colour, look smart, but personaly a wipe over with back to black as Currylager, or an Autoglym product

work for me.

Nice wheels

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
I believe there are two types of front spoiler, fibreglass, or moulded plastic. I have the moulded plastic type and i'm hoping a wipe with some silicone or some of that "back to black" stuff will smarten it up a bit. I expect the fibreglass type will need a coat of flexible paint perhaps?

I have an original spoiler, circa 1975 which is indeed black moulded plastic & is currently living in the loft; they really belong to the later CR series & so I never re-fitted it. You can paint them but a special primer is required &, I believe, an Acrylic paint finish; perhaps Stuart will know for sure.

A problem with spoilers, any spoilers, is that they can come in so many varieties of plastic, fibreglass etc etc - even OE stuff isn't consistent, the material may have changed over the years as parts were subsequently remanufactured.

Which primer is appropriate depends on the plastic and the topcoat paint used.

One way out is to consult a local body man or paint factor, and get the primer and topcoat from the same source.

Mind you, not many years back my local body man (now sadly retired) had a cracker - a very flash Merc variant, AMG or somesuch, and a Merc bodyshop had failed twice to get the right paint finish on the front end after accident damage. The problem being that they hadn't realised that 3 separate primers and 2 separate undercoats were required for the different materials comprising the complex spoiler arrangement . . . .

Wonderful thing, technology :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Alec