Hi all, first time writing. I'm looking at replacing the heater on my 6, would be grateful for any input into which heater to use, problems anyone has had etc. Thanks in advance

Hi Johnboy

Just thought I would say hello and welcome to the TR Register forums. I'm quite sure some of the more knowledgeable chaps will be along shortly to offer some advice on heaters. In the meantime, you could also try the search function at the bottom left of TR6 forum page. Try typing in +heater.

Cheers

Tony

Hi all, first time writing. I'm looking at replacing the heater on my 6, would be grateful for any input into which heater to use, problems anyone has had etc. Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for a different heater (eg one that puts out more heat) or a replacement heater because yours is nfg ?. Used TR6 heaters pop up quite often on eBay and the usual used spares suppliers and I thought I had recently seen an ad for an aftermarket unit that would fit the TR6 although I'd have to go looking for that.

Stan

Welcome to the forum. Are you looking for a different heater (eg one that puts out more heat) or a replacement heater because yours is nfg ?. Used TR6 heaters pop up quite often on eBay and the usual used spares suppliers and I thought I had recently seen an ad for an aftermarket unit that would fit the TR6 although I'd have to go looking for that.

Stan

Hi Johnboy,

As stan says there is an aftermatket heater, i have no experience of them .

http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/Collection...ent+heater+kits

Good Luck

Guy

Stan

Thanks, if I'm going to take the heater out may as well replace with something better! Seen replacements from Moss and Revington, but have no experience of either

No comment on the replacements, but a rebuild of the original is the rebuild from hell. The cooling coil doesn't fit ( has to be boxed in to the housing to prevent blow-by ), the fan motor is much smaller and has to be re-riveted and re-soldered to the old stuff and requires sealing of the housing where it no longer self-plugs, and the NLA fan blade is quite fragile so must be VERY carefully removed and re-used, provided it's in decent shape. If not, you're out of luck.

Once completed it works just like it should, though <_<

Hi All

On the subject of heater's just changed the water hose's and now the fan is catching ? any idea's

Ta

Neil

Just to be clear Neil, you changed those two horrid little hoses that go from the bulkhead pass-through to the heater and now the heater fan seems to be hitting something ?. That's weird, sounds like something in the heater got disturbed while you were messing with the hoses.

Stan

Hi All

On the subject of heater's just changed the water hose's and now the fan is catching ? any idea's

Ta

Neil

Probably just moved the matrix slightly whilst you were tightening the clip Neil, You may be lucky and just get hold of the two pipes were they exit the case and with the fan running try just moving them slightly until it doesnt catch. Although saying that if the fan has contacted anything as Stan has mentioned they are pretty fragile so it may be bent in which case a strip down will be needed. :(

Stuart.

Just to be clear Neil, you changed those two horrid little hoses that go from the bulkhead pass-through to the heater and now the heater fan seems to be hitting something ?. That's weird, sounds like something in the heater got disturbed while you were messing with the hoses.

Stan

Correct Stan was working fine before no force used and it is catching, baffled?

Regards

Neil

Correct Stan was working fine before no force used and it is catching, baffled?

Regards

Neil

Well that is a puzzlement.. I wonder if it is the fan or if it is a bearing or something else in the motor that is making the noise ?. I'm guessing that you dont use that fan too often and perhaps turning it on after you changed the hoses was just coincidental and there is something else going on with the motor ?

Do you leave the plenum vent open ?. Perhaps there is something living in the heater box..

Stan

Neil

Stuart is spot on as usual.

The heater casing holes, where the heater matrix inlet / output pipes emerge, are generous, to allow a little movement.

The foam holding the matrix tight inside the casing, has with the passage of time, lost some of it's sponginess/ grip.

You have effectively "tipped up one end" which is catching on the fan.Have a gentle little wiggle with the pipes and hope it

settles again.

Bob

Probably just moved the matrix slightly whilst you were tightening the clip Neil, You may be lucky and just get hold of the two pipes were they exit the case and with the fan running try just moving them slightly until it doesnt catch. Although saying that if the fan has contacted anything as Stan has mentioned they are pretty fragile so it may be bent in which case a strip down will be needed. :(

Stuart.

You nailed it Stuart drained the system removed hoses no catching the new hoses was 30mm longer :angry: and your right Stan I had forgot how bloody hard it is to change them but you should all check yours.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Neil

You nailed it Stuart drained the system removed hoses no catching the new hoses was 30mm longer :angry: and your right Stan I had forgot how bloody hard it is to change them but you should all check yours.

Thanks for your help

Regards

Neil

They might be a bit easier to change on the LHD cars as they are in the passenger footwell and we are not fighting with pedals and steering column but it still requires the arms and dexterity of an octopus and 30 mins with your head in the footwell. Good idea to inspect them annually for cracking or leaks and replace them every few years. Using the proper shaped hoses makes the job a bit easier also.

Glad you got the fan noise sorted Neil, removing and stripping the heater is no fun.

Stan