Surrey Top

As a new member and after so much help from the Forum on my overdrive problem , I wonder if some of you sages could advise.

My 4A is my only car and I do about 6-7,000 miles a year, winter and summer. I think I've done most things to make it a reliable and safe, regular drive - engine and overdrive gearbox are standard, 123 ignition, alternator, kenlowe and uprated suspension, halogens plus (very important to me) a rear fog light. Pheonix exhaust, only because it sounds so much better! otherwise it's pretty standard and I've had few problems in the last year.

Anyway, I'm now thinking of a Surrey top with both hard and soft panels. The reasoning is it may be a bit drier and warmer in the winter and quieter on the motorway. I am sure that this has been done to death but would appreciate advice. I know originals are very hard to come by, so will probably have to settle for a GRP replacement. Where should I go, bearing in mind I do not have time to fit and spray (actually, if I did have the time, I'd bog it up)? And any idea of costs? Is it a good idea anyway?

Regards,

David.

Edited by DavidB

Original Surrey tops are much sought after, rarely found and consequently are pricey. In addition, they can be missing some bits and/or damaged.

Have a look at the websites of Revington and Moss (possibly others). I know Revington produces a rear surround with built-in lefthand and righthand roll bar and a basic version without roll bar, fitted with plexiglass window. The Revington lid can be one-piece metal, fabric and/or a cleverly-contrived split metal lid which can be fitted in the boot (the one-piece lid is too big to go in the car).

Ian Cornish

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Surrey top minus rear screen and rubber. I bought a replacement glass backlight and rubber from Moss at £199.95 and £38.95 respectively. After getting the Surrey resprayed the guy in the restoration firm spent 2 hours trying to offer the glass into the rubber. It proved a very uncomfortable fit with the widest point between the lower forward "points" of the screen being about 3/4" too narrow relative to the frame. When it looked as if it might just about seat...it broke.

Those screens are just not a good fit! Moreover, the rubber surround at £38 is a joke. You would expect the vulcanised join (where the rubber ends meet) to equate to the rear lower centre of the screen. In fact it is on the top of the screen just above the driver's head. For near enough £240 that is not a good experience! Nor am I happy about being passed from one person to another in Moss, none of whom seem to be at their extensions. Grrr!

Edited by Edmond
I have a Surrey top minus rear screen and rubber. I bought a replacment glass backlight and rubber from Moss at £199.95 and £38.95 respectively. After getting the Surrey resprayed the guy in the restoration firm spent 2 hours trying to offer the glass into the rubber. It proved a very uncomfortable fit with the widest point between the lower forward "points" of the screen being about 3/4" too narrow relative to the frame. When it looked as if it might just about seat...it broke.

Those screens are just not a good fit! Moreover, the rubber surround at £38 is a joke. You would expect the vulcanised join (where the rubber ends meet) to equate to the rear lower centre of the screen. In fact it is on the top of the screen just above the drivers head. For near enough £240 that is not a good experience! Nor am I happy about being passed from one person to another in Moss, none of whom seem to be at their extensions. Grrr!

I would try talking to Jeff Marks at Moss rather than any of the counter staff, he is their R&D director and does know what he is talking about. He has just had a new screen in his 5 Surrey (Due to the soft section peeling off at high speed :blink: ) and it went in without any problems. I would check the dimensions of the frame as I have had to either spread out or pull in the front lower corners to get them to fit cars properly :blink: . That may be why it came to you without the glass.

Stuart.

I would try talking to Jeff Marks at Moss rather than any of the counter staff, he is their R&D director and does know what he is talking about. He has just had a new screen in his 5 Surrey (Due to the soft section peeling off at high speed :blink: ) and it went in without any problems. I would check the dimensions of the frame as I have had to either spread out or pull in the front lower corners to get them to fit cars properly :blink: . That may be why it came to you without the glass.

Stuart.

Stuart - thanks. Will be happy to talk to Jeff. The Surrey was intact, complete with glass , and on the car since new. Sadly a yob decided to smash the original screen some months back.