Orphan bolts

Got the rad out for the first time.

This pic is the bumper support strut that hangs off the front of the chassis and is intersected by a brace coming down from the tubular X-member.

Near the front - top left of photo - there's a hole - is there supposed to be anything in it or fastened to it?

And these two small bolts, attaching nothing - what should be here?? :blink:

Same situation on the left side of the car.

Looked in Moss, Rimmer, TR Parts book, none the wiser.....

PO was rather good at omitting components, which during the long period of restoration non-activity it seems he either forgot or lost. <_<

Ivor

Boltsforwhat.jpg

Got the rad out for the first time.

This pic is the bumper support strut that hangs off the front of the chassis and is intersected by a brace coming down from the tubular X-member.

Near the front - top left of photo - there's a hole - is there supposed to be anything in it or fastened to it?

And these two small bolts, attaching nothing - what should be here?? :blink:

Same situation on the left side of the car.

Looked in Moss, Rimmer, TR Parts book, none the wiser.....

PO was rather good at omitting components, which during the long period of restoration non-activity it seems he either forgot or lost. <_<

Ivor

I believe the holes are just gratuitous and serve no purpose, the bolts look like the horn mounting bolts. Where are your horns ?.

Stan

I agree with the others that they are mounting points for the horns.Do not know what the other hole is for.I have just changed my horns due to last year when my TR5 was stuck in a river due to the floods in Malvern.The horns had rusted solid and I very rarely use them.Thought I better check everything as you do for the MOT and blow me(excuse the pun)after changing the wheel bearings,pulling apart the starter motor,changing the Battery and the interior shortly after getting Jas home the horns had also gone the same way.So I was in the same spot two days ago Ivor and that is where the horns brackets should be.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

Are the holes put there for production purposes?

The process of spot welding the chassis together from pressings will generate heat and gases that expand and need to ventilate.

How were TR3 chassis painted? Spray or dip, in which latter case they would float if they weren't perforated!

John

Horns - aha. :rolleyes:

The horn (singular) at present is hanging off the end of the oil cooler.

It will shortly be replaced by triple air horns with the strumpets mounted on a strut running across and behind the front valance betwixt the grille and the lower air intake so they don't impede the rad, with the compressor somewhere underbonnet for periodic oiling.

I do have pair of 'period' twintone horns but I am saving them for some future, and perhaps mythical, application where they will be visible.

Thankyou

PS sorry about the pic it wasn't taken for this purpose....

Hornlocation.jpg

Ivor,the oil cooler rad is normaly mounted on the rad stone guard.This stone guard has drillings in for mounting the oil cooler rad as per factory spec and yes it does sit in front of the rad but,the factory did not find any problems from being sited there.

Ivor,the oil cooler rad is normaly mounted on the rad stone guard.This stone guard has drillings in for mounting the oil cooler rad as per factory spec and yes it does sit in front of the rad but,the factory did not find any problems from being sited there.

Tis where mine's been located for nearly 5 years using those very holes; the correct cooler bolts straight on but I don't have the angled brackets now being advised.

Oil cooler, umm, I guess it's been there since the late 70s when the 2nd owner had most of the car's upgrades done. Certainly wasn't a recent addition as the old piping to it was huge and prehistoric.

In fact, for me it was a toss-up between removing it altogether and inserting a stat, as you may recall I opted for the latter. Probably the cooler doesn't do a lot anyway, as it's not ducted to the grille so I suspect the air mostly goes around rather than through it. :P

Ivor

Newoilcoolerpipes.jpg

Thanks Neil; they appeared shortly after I bought my "kit" & I have though about it but, “Victor” being my role model, I am sceptical! :lol:

Hi Richard

The brackets mounted on bobbins put the cooler close at the correct angle to utilise all the air flow. But being "Victor" you may not believe it :lol:

Regards

Neil

Ivor the capillary tube from the kenlowe should be fitted in the bottom hose ideally.

Hmmm, thanks, I recall we discussed this at length a while ago and I'm afraid I remain unreconstructedly of the opinion that heat should be measured where it's hottest, ie at the top.

In this thread, Lockley210 posted info about a top-mounting fan controller which I must admit I had forgotten, this seems to me a good option for those unable to get a seal on their 50p widget.

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....kenlowe++widget

Ivor