Rocker box breather pipe

Guest james67

Guest james67

Hi All

The rocker box breather pipe on my TR5 was vented to atmosphere and a mechanic after doing some other work on the engine has put the pipe back in to the air intake and it seems to me that the engine is now not running as smooth as it did

So my question is

Is it deter to vent the rocker pipe back in to the engine ore out atmosphere it seem strange to me to put all that **** back in to the engine. But if you should does any one no why.

James

Hi James,

I remember reading about this as I was also interested, (although I'm interested in everything TR.. :D ). The link is as follows:

Crankcase breather

Cheers

Tony

Now I am confused. Have recentkly posted am item as my ratsport catch tank (which has a breather on top) was full of water when last emptied after a long run (in flooded Devon). It vents thru the breather and seemingly catches the mositure in the tank which condenses back to water (oily coloured). If this tank had a feed to the fuel pump blanking plate what would be going on here , ie is it a feed or is this another breather ???

Hi guys

Speaking about Triumph six cylinder engines in general, they do run better if you vent the crankcase directly to atmosphere. The early examples did this anyway, venting straight out of the rocker filler cap and a vent pipe on the block (think this was the norm until 66/67ish).

The only reason crankcase gases are re-circulated is for emission purposes. If the engine is worn and there is raised crankcase compression you sometimes find that the engine struggles to tick over with the amount of **** being produced.

The down side is that you will most likely get the smell of the gases in the vehicle... although you might like that sort of thing, and knowing TRs it will mix nicely with the exhaust gases that also get pulled back into the cockpit.

Ideally you don't want crankcase gases going back into the engine... it will run more efficiently and smoothly without... and it will make no difference whatsoever to global warming, badgers or dolphins so before anyone starts harping on about 'the planet' can I just say "cobblers"

Thank you

Dazzer

Guest james67

Hi Dazzer

Many thanks for you input I think I will be putting the breather pipe back in to my cach tank and see how it goes. But as always the forum is a grate tool I don't user it much but when I do most of the time I can find out what I need to no

Hi guys

Speaking about Triumph six cylinder engines in general, they do run better if you vent the crankcase directly to atmosphere. The early examples did this anyway, venting straight out of the rocker filler cap and a vent pipe on the block (think this was the norm until 66/67ish).

The only reason crankcase gases are re-circulated is for emission purposes. If the engine is worn and there is raised crankcase compression you sometimes find that the engine struggles to tick over with the amount of **** being produced.

The down side is that you will most likely get the smell of the gases in the vehicle... although you might like that sort of thing, and knowing TRs it will mix nicely with the exhaust gases that also get pulled back into the cockpit.

Ideally you don't want crankcase gases going back into the engine... it will run more efficiently and smoothly without... and it will make no difference whatsoever to global warming, badgers or dolphins so before anyone starts harping on about 'the planet' can I just say "cobblers"

Thank you

Dazzer

Hi Dazzer

Many thanks for you input I think I will be putting the breather pipe back in to my cach tank and see how it goes. But as always the forum is a grate tool I don't user it much but when I do most of the time I can find out what I need to no

Hi guys

Thank you

Dazzer

YES but would you expect to use the petrol pump blanking plate (with pipe) as a second breather as well as the rocker and if so why

YES but would you expect to use the petrol pump blanking plate (with pipe) as a second breather as well as the rocker and if so why

Hi Robin

I suppose you could, but the breather on the early engines is separate below the fuel pump. Either would work.

I would have to say though that an engine in good order will not produce that much compression/vapour oils.

The TR4 we run just vents to atmosphere and there is absolutely not a trace of anything.

If you're getting emulsified oil (oil and water foamy mix) its usually a sign of running over cool, if everything else is in order; head gasket etc.

Are you running with a thermostat?

Dazzer

Hi guys

Thank you

Dazzer

The early cars did vent to atmosphere but I recall that the vent tubes ran down the engine and were referred to as "draft tubes" which I always assumed meant that they took advantage of the low pressure created at the open end in the airstream to provide some positive ventilation of the crankcase. Using a PCV valve into the inlet manifold achieves the same result but does it in a closed system so none of the vapors escapes and in addition to reducing emissions and smells, Positive ventilation has some other beneficial effects like reducing oil leaks.

Certainly if the motor is clapped out that will make itself evident through poor running and fouled plugs and in my experience newly rebuilt engines will have a bit more blow by until the rings bed in.

Stan

The early cars did vent to atmosphere but I recall that the vent tubes ran down the engine and were referred to as "draft tubes" which I always assumed meant that they took advantage of the low pressure created at the open end in the airstream to provide some positive ventilation of the crankcase. Using a PCV valve into the inlet manifold achieves the same result but does it in a closed system so none of the vapors escapes and in addition to reducing emissions and smells, Positive ventilation has some other beneficial effects like reducing oil leaks.

Certainly if the motor is clapped out that will make itself evident through poor running and fouled plugs and in my experience newly rebuilt engines will have a bit more blow by until the rings bed in.

Stan

I ahve a thermostat and generally the catch tank is slow to fill. I have had a topic on the forum as it was full of water after a long (wet) run to Devon during the storms but no sign of water elsewhere. No not using or burning oil either. I was just wondering whether 2 breathers was better than one as the catch tank has 2 inputs anyway.

I now vent my TR5 from the rocker cover to chassis well back so smells can not get into the cockpit and it lubes the chassis as well.Engine does run sweeter.I got a bit pi**ed off with oil in the breather hose and plenuim chamber let alone into the engine.I guess I will have to re-connect for the MOT.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

I now vent my TR5 from the rocker cover to chassis well back so smells can not get into the cockpit and it lubes the chassis as well.Engine does run sweeter.I got a bit pi**ed off with oil in the breather hose and plenuim chamber let alone into the engine.I guess I will have to re-connect for the MOT.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :rolleyes:

Harry

do you reckon that having two breathers would be better than one, ie the the rocker box AND the blanking plate covering the petrol pump hole on a PI car.

Not sure Robin,guess someone out there will clarify this point!.Are you going to The Wagon and Horses tonight on the Alternative in Elstree?.If the weather holds out I will come in my TR5 and you can try the seats.

Regards Harry. :unsure:

Sorry no can do. Still stuck here in the City and have some !"£$%^ to clear workwise so wont be able to make it. I will try for the next tho as I want a caht with you as I am hopeing to do some serious work on my 5 this winter.....

Hi Robin

Two threads on the same topic http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....showtopic=14880 say hello to Jerry from me

Regards

Neil

Neil

thanks it would seem it is another breather exit to a catch tank. OK have a plate will try during my winter 'clean up'

Sorry I am a bit late to this thread.

Venting the rocker to the carbs/pi is an emissions thing and it keeps oil off the road but dosnt help the running or power output one bit.

As we know the biggest bang comes from air and fuel in an appropriate ratio, if part of the ratio is now oil fumes result has to be a smaller bang.

Best to vent to a catch tank. If doing this vent also from the crankcase, you can join the 2 with a T piece and feed just one end into the tank. The fumes will turn back into a black oily looking substance (oil) but being hot will cause condensation when cold, hence the water/mahonaise (correct spelling for a sauce made of eggs and origionating from the town of Mahon in Menorca, but I digress). If it were left in the engine the creamy coating would vanish when the engine got hot again (steam and more fumes). BTW Do not be tempted to empty the catch tank back into the engine again.

I bought a really good tank from Harry but seeing the ratsport one I think it is probably the one i will go for next. Rally design do a good one, I fitted one to my caterham as described above and it was easy to empty as well. A half litre size should be ok for our cars.