13 or 13.5 inch steering wheels that dont cost an arm and a leg

Browsing the usual catalogs and web sites there are several alternative steering wheels available that will fit the TR6 but they are all either sized for a bus or you need a second mortgage to pay for them. I'm wondering if there isnt a more affordable option for a 13 or 13.5 inch wheel, leather or vinyl, silver spokes, slots or holes, with a hub and a horn push that would fit or be persuaded to fit a TR6. The Mountney wheels look promising, anyone have any recent first hand experince and can suggest a supplier ?

Stan

Browsing the usual catalogs and web sites there are several alternative steering wheels available that will fit the TR6 but they are all either sized for a bus or you need a second mortgage to pay for them. I'm wondering if there isnt a more affordable option for a 13 or 13.5 inch wheel, leather or vinyl, silver spokes, slots or holes, with a hub and a horn push that would fit or be persuaded to fit a TR6. The Mountney wheels look promising, anyone have any recent first hand experince and can suggest a supplier ?

There is a smaller wheel that keeps appearing on eBay UK, a search 'TR6 +wheel' will produce it, from memory abut £40 and I think it's 13".

There are several on there now at £100 but not the one of which I'm thinking.

Or if you're feeling really strong in the arm, you could join the bidding frenzy that always ensues for this brand....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-HERALD-SPITF...id=p3286.c0.m14

I have a Mountney on my Landy. It has a nice thick easy-to-grip rim and is a pleasant drive although after 7 years of abuse the blacking is starting to wear off the leather. I'm not sure it would really suit a concours car, to my eye their products do look a bit clumsy, but it is a nice drive.

A smaller wheel had been on the wish list for the 6, but from where I sit, anything smaller would occlude one of the instruments, so I've stuck with the standard 14.5". Luckily I found one at Stoneleigh with a nice squashy rim.

I am also deterred from the woodys by their slipperiness (is that a word :unsure: ?)

Edit: the search 'TR +wheel' pulls up even more and lower priced, although still not the £40er.

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

Hi Stan,

I have a Mountjoy 13" polished ali with black leather grip. Nice feel, not expensive when I bought a couple of years ago from TRGB. Fittede onto the car with no trouble.

as Ivor states the smaller wheels do obscure the ammeter (on the 4A) but this is easily overcome with a sytem of mirrors, servo motors and a small computer.

Hi Ivor,

slipperiness is not a word it should be slippernocity!!!

Rgds

Roger

Stan

Stan

I fitted a 13 inch Mountney wheel (leather covered rim and polished spokes) around 18 months ago and am pleased with feel and quality. Although possibly not quite as good as other well known brands, the price differential in a car that is used only occasionally made the decision easy. Mine was purchased from Moss.

Stan

I fitted a 13 inch Mountney wheel (leather covered rim and polished spokes) around 18 months ago and am pleased with feel and quality. Although possibly not quite as good as other well known brands, the price differential in a car that is used only occasionally made the decision easy. Mine was purchased from Moss.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. One of the challenges is that none of the US vendors sell an affordable 13 inch wheel and I just cant get over the thought of spending $400 on a 13 inch Moto-Lita wheel and hub when the Mountney solution might be half of that. So I'll continue to monitor eBay. We are getting very close to the permafrost season here so there is no urgency now that I undertand what I need to look for, which was my main dilema.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. One of the challenges is that none of the US vendors sell an affordable 13 inch wheel and I just cant get over the thought of spending $400 on a 13 inch Moto-Lita wheel and hub when the Mountney solution might be half of that. So I'll continue to monitor eBay. We are getting very close to the permafrost season here so there is no urgency now that I undertand what I need to look for, which was my main dilema.

Stan

Update: I found a 10 years+ old but unused Mountney 13inch wheel on eBay, $87 including a TR6 hub. In the box there is a Lotus medallion for the horn push (a self adhesive disk with a peel off backing). I thought I saw a reference in the forum a while back to a source of Triumph medallions for these hubs, is that just wishful thinking on my part or is there in fact a source for the medallions ?

Stan

Hi all.

An early moto-lita 14" thick leather rim,slight dish wheel is my choice!

I found it at the wet 07 Malvern for £10, it only needed a good clean,leather feed and polish,and I found a new boss for £15 as well.

Been told its an early one as moto-lita is inscribed on the lower middle spoke :huh:

It gives excellent feel,good grip,good dash view,has a nice bit of period patina to it as well!!

and doesnt look out of place like some of the new wooden wheels do!!

Dave

IMAG0043.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

Stan,

No its not wishful thinking you can get 28mm diameter self adhesive emblems form www.europaspares.com for £1.57 each moto lita do badges as well I am sure, can't check as I through out the catalog last week after much nagging to tidy up, sods law really.

Mick

Stan,

No its not wishful thinking you can get 28mm diameter self adhesive emblems form www.europaspares.com for £1.57 each moto lita do badges as well I am sure, can't check as I through out the catalog last week after much nagging to tidy up, sods law really.

Mick

Perfect, thanks Mick !.

Stan

Hi all.

I found it at the wet 07 Malvern for £10, it only needed a good clean,leather feed and polish,and I found a new boss for £15 as well.

Been told its an early one as moto-lita is inscribed on the lower middle spoke :huh:

It gives excellent feel,good grip,good dash view,has a nice bit of period patina to it as well!!

Dave

IMAG0043.jpg

Hi all.

Dave

That is a very nice looking steering wheel, the Moto's clearly are better quality than the Mountney wheels and you got a great deal. I fitted the 13 inch Mountney wheel today and went out for a short drive (it was a high of 48 F today) and it feels great. I watched some F1 racing this afternoon and I was already primed for some twitchy steering.. Bit of a challenge at low speeds, partly due to the 215/65 tires, but feels great once we are rolling.

The tourist trophy wheel that I removed had a spring loaded plunger with a wire that connects to the horn push but I elected to make the mod to the Mountney hub that I found here and riveted a copper disc to the bottom of the Mountney horn insert and used the original TR6 horn connector linkage.

Stan

Stan,

Mick

The medallions I ordered from Europaspares arrived today and they are perfect so thanks again Mick for the pointer.

Interestingly when I ordered them I was not charged shipping which I found odd. I sent them email and they replied not to worry, the items had already shipped, have a nice day etc.

Today I got the envelope (a standard letter envelope as these are just thin plastic discs just over 1 inch diameter) and the envelope has a 24p pre-paid stamp on it which I assume is the UK domestic rate.

Hand stamped in red on the envelope is

"DO NOT SURCHARGE, CORRECT POSTAGE RAISED BY REVENUE PROTECTION, TREAT AS AIRMAIL"

and in the lower left hand corner of the hand stamped text is "DE". The item was postmarked Burton on Trent so I'm guessing that the postal system in Derby added the hand stamp.

Any postal service geeks out there care to translate that stamp for me ?. What does the revenue protection part mean ?

Stan