Adjustable steering ??

As the title indicates . How do I tell whether or not I have the adjustable steering type ? looking at the Moss catalogue it shows a non standard wheel however my car has a split woodrim wheel (fitted in the early 60s and now quite tired ) . I am presuming that there should be a wheel sort of thing adjacent to the boss to adjust the column ? I only need to know as I need to buy the horn/indicator thingy and apparantly they are different .

Its as clear as mud to me.

As the title indicates . How do I tell whether or not I have the adjustable steering type ? looking at the Moss catalogue it shows a non standard wheel however my car has a split woodrim wheel (fitted in the early 60s and now quite tired ) . I am presuming that there should be a wheel sort of thing adjacent to the boss to adjust the column ? I only need to know as I need to buy the horn/indicator thingy and apparantly they are different .

Its as clear as mud to me.

Scotty,

the non adjustable column is pretty obvious the tube goes from the rear of the steering wheel to the box or halfway to the box if a later type.

If you need the horn and indicator centre unit I have one for the none adjustable column, I also have the tube that goes down through the box if you need it.

I think they are the same for both adjustable and non adjustable columns but the experts will let you know I hope.

regards

Peter.

Hi Scotty,

If you have a car with the adjustable wheel, then there is a knurled adjuster immediately behind the steering wheel, and a sort of cone looking thing around the column in front of the dash, from recollections of the LHD TR3B I had with the adjustable wheel.

The non-adjustable type just has plain tube in front of the dash.

Nothing is interchangeable between the two types at the steering wheel end, as the inner and outer columns are different, including the steering wheel spline.

Sorry Peter, but the control heads and stator tubes were different too.

It's very rare to see a RHD car with the adjustable column, as it was an option mostly fitted to LHD cars exported to the States.

Cheers,

Viv.

I have only had one sidescreen car with adjustable column and that was a Californian 57 3 and I very much doubt if any UK 2s ever had that option. As Viv says the entire unit is different including the spline size. BTW for what its worth I have an adjustable top section from a split column car if anyone is interested in it.

Stuart.

I have only had one sidescreen car with adjustable column and that was a Californian 57 3 and I very much doubt if any UK 2s ever had that option. As Viv says the entire unit is different including the spline size. BTW for what its worth I have an adjustable top section from a split column car if anyone is interested in it.

Stuart.

My TR2, dating from November 1954 (TS 3690) was built with adjustable steering, but when I bought the car in a partly dismantled state in 1977 the column was missing and hence I replaced it with a standard item. I have picked up an adjustable wheel and head on my travels but never tracked down the correct sliding column. As has been said, the spline is different, being larger diameter. Since I am of substantial build and over 6', the feature is not of a great deal of use to me - it does not put the wheel further away than the standard column, only closer to the driver.

Nick

I endorse what Nick Webster has written about the adjustable column - a waste of time as it brings the steering wheel nearer the driver. My second TR2 was fitted with this device, and, being very short in both legs and arms, I found my chest was almost touching the steering wheel. So, I managed to remove the adjustable part of the column and thereby get the steering wheel into a usable and comfortable position. Perhaps a person with incredibly long legs and rather short arms might find the device helpful, but I imagine the vast majority would find it most uncomfortable.

Ian Cornish