White TR6 decals

Hi All,

I had white TR6 decals to my rear wings some years ago, it wasnt long before they fell off. :angry:

Is there a correct way of fitting these, or a prefered suplier source for quality. Iseem to recall a post but cant find it.

Cheers

Guy

Its Ok just found it dooooh

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....7&hl=decals

However is Meths the best thing to clear old polish of the area.??

Edited by Jersey Royal

Morning Guy.

When I asked if anyone had some spare ones,I luckily discovered some original ones in amongst the paperwork for my car with the previous owners noted down fitting details.

It basically said to soak in water for about 5 mins,scrupulously clean the area its being fitted to with a degreaser, "I used panel wipe",then apply and slide about into desired position, then using a squeege thingamy,"or a hard wallpaper edging roller" to press all over the transfer forcing the remaining water out and helping the glue to bond. Leave for a few minutes and peel the backing paper off carefully keeping the peelback as flat to the panel as poss. Even being careful when fitting they are still lifting a little on the pointy edges as they catch the polish cloth easily.

My main problem was knowing the proper place,spacings of where to fit them without being way off from the original position!

I think that more modern technology,materials in vehicular sign writing vinyls will be a lot better with adhesion and durability,so maybe using a scan of an original,get a local expert to knock you up a set.

The TR SIX adhesive badges,I had made for the back of mine cost me a packet of fags and a pint for a dozen! Found a V good chrome plinth and fitted it to it.

When/if I have to replace them I will get some made up in modern materials.

Dave

...is Meths the best thing to clear old polish of the area.??

Or isoprop?

Whatever, try it on somewhere out of sight first.

I used meths on my previous car to remove chassis wax that strayed from spraying under my Landy.

It bloomed the paintwork and I never could get rid of the bloom afterwards. :(

Ivor

Morning Guy.

When I asked if anyone had some spare ones,I luckily discovered some original ones in amongst the paperwork for my car with the previous owners noted down fitting details.

It basically said to soak in water for about 5 mins,scrupulously clean the area its being fitted to with a degreaser, "I used panel wipe",then apply and slide about into desired position, then using a squeege thingamy,"or a hard wallpaper edging roller" to press all over the transfer forcing the remaining water out and helping the glue to bond. Leave for a few minutes and peel the backing paper off carefully keeping the peelback as flat to the panel as poss. Even being careful when fitting they are still lifting a little on the pointy edges as they catch the polish cloth easily.

My main problem was knowing the proper place,spacings of where to fit them without being way off from the original position!

I think that more modern technology,materials in vehicular sign writing vinyls will be a lot better with adhesion and durability,so maybe using a scan of an original,get a local expert to knock you up a set.

The TR SIX adhesive badges,I had made for the back of mine cost me a packet of fags and a pint for a dozen! Found a V good chrome plinth and fitted it to it.

When/if I have to replace them I will get some made up in modern materials.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I didnt think they were slippers. :rolleyes:

Anyway thanks for the advice, will look into it, and take extra care when fitting.

All the best, whens the plaster come off.?

Guy

Hi Steve.

I doubt you will find a main supplier that will tool up for a small run in silver! There MIGHT be some out there already made in silver that need hunting out.

Your best bet is as I suggsted to Guy,is to find a local vehicle sign writer maker,who is a classic car enthusiast like mine was and get some made up.

He did me my custom TR SIX in std silver and some in a chrome finish.

All you need is an original logo or a good photo for them to copy from!!

Dave

IMAG0006.jpg

Edited by PILKIE

All,

I do my race "decals" in Sticky-Back Plastic! So I can't advise of how easy it is to use, but "decal paper" is now available.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...paper&meta=

You print onto it a design made up on your PC, or perhaps downloaded from the 'Net.

For instance: http://www.tr6pi.com/images/Badge%20RH%20Rear.jpg

Then use it as above.

And advantage of using this stuff is that you can cut out the design with a rounded edge.

I know from SBP experience that characters with pointy edges, serifs ect., lift off very easily and soon look tatty.

As the decal backing is clear, your design can have points without this tendency.

John

All,

I do my race "decals" in Sticky-Back Plastic! So I can't advise of how easy it is to use, but "decal paper" is now available.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&s...paper&meta=

You print onto it a design made up on your PC, or perhaps downloaded from the 'Net.

For instance: http://www.tr6pi.com/images/Badge%20RH%20Rear.jpg

Then use it as above.

And advantage of using this stuff is that you can cut out the design with a rounded edge.

I know from SBP experience that characters with pointy edges, serifs ect., lift off very easily and soon look tatty.

As the decal backing is clear, your design can have points without this tendency.

John

Hi John

Very Interesting.

I remeber the days of Sticky-Back Plastic!, Was used exclusively in Blue Peter

Hey John, i never did get a Blue Peter Badge, But i bet you did :lol::lol:

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal