Picked it up yesterday

Finally picked up the 2 yesterday . It has not seen the road since the early 70s . I spent a few hours yesterday ( with excellent help from my wife ) to clear about 2 inches of muck including feathers and bird poo from the inside . Good news is the drivers floor is not too bad , the chassis is great , engine is easlily turned , even the boot floor an spare wheel well is sound . Its going to be quite a leaning curve ! Anyone recognise the bumper ? I think its an Austin but am unsure . I got a very good real one with overriders with the car so its no problem.

On trailer

back of car

cockpit

engine

A great looking car with most of the bits there which will help you to keep it original-it shows that these old cars still turn up occasionally. Roll your sleeves up, and get it ready for Malvern!!laugh.gif

Ah well Scotty,

there goes the piggybank, come in the overdraft, and you'd better warn your good lady about the lack of holidays for the foreseeable future . . . oh, and apply for a couple more credit cards while you still can. ;)

Don't worry about the chaps in white coats in a few weeks time, or the pyjamas that tie behind your back . . . it's not a new bondage game, it's just the nice men taking you to the funny farm, where life is wonderful all the time, and they're coming to take you away . . . :lol:

Meanwhile, patience is a virtue, don't try and start it up tomorrow . . .

Cheers,

Alec

Scotty that at least looks as if its pretty much complete which is a major bonus with the early cars! Good luck with the rebuild.

Stuart.

Now the fun part starts chasing down all the spares, I always enjoy trawling round for bits and the satisfaction when you find them is immense ! I have a TR2 in my garage which I am slowly gathering parts for the rebuild so I guess it will be ebay snipers at 50 paces now ;)

Cheers

Alan

Scotty the chrome moulding that goes around the grill mouth is one of the hardest and most expensive bits to find so its a bonus that yours is still there. Whats the chassis (TS*****) number?

Stuart.

Brilliant Scotty,

Looks about the same state TS952 was in except for the front wings which fortunately were good. However my car had been de-seamed with the back wings brazed to the rear scuttle! Have lots of fun, I am sure you will. As has been said the one big bonus is that it is complete as doesn't look too messed about with.

One follow on from Alec's comments, you know it's got to you when your other half comes up to garage at about 2 in the morning to see if you are still alive.

Nigel (with TS952)

I have heard from many wives of sidescreen TR owners who said they were glad that they knew that their husbands were down in the garage working on the TR - rather than worrying if he was with some young bird down at the pub - or elsewhere !!!

I have heard from many wives of sidescreen TR owners who said they were glad that they knew that their husbands were down in the garage working on the TR - rather than worrying if he was with some young bird down at the pub - or elsewhere !!!

Now if we could only get some young bird in the garage maybe holding a cold pint in one hand , now that would be heaven, oh bollocks I really am a sad old git ;)

Scotty the chrome moulding that goes around the grill mouth is one of the hardest and most expensive bits to find so its a bonus that yours is still there. Whats the chassis (TS*****) number?

Stuart.

If the moulding and apron is original it should be between TS4228 and TS8636

Cheers

Trevor (anorak who unfortunately knows such things)

Yes its a 59** number . How do I remove the trim without destroying it ?

Managed to get the engine turning on the starter button last night so progress there .

Start at the rear cockpit cappings removing all the screws across the rear and then lift it off. Next is the rear top quarter cappings and then the screws in the rear quarter panels, remove them and then undo the screws across the bottom of the rear cockpit panel and slide it out forwards.Remove the rear elbow cappings as the screws for the quarter panels also hold them down. Then remove the screws around the door casings, you also have to remove the nut on the lock end of the door pull and its chrome surround to get the panel off. The door cappings can then be removed. The dash capping is held on with three wood screws underneath and the grab handle screws.

Stuart.

Start at the rear cockpit cappings removing all the screws across the rear and then lift it off. Next is the rear top quarter cappings and then the screws in the rear quarter panels, remove them and then undo the screws across the bottom of the rear cockpit panel and slide it out forwards.Remove the rear elbow cappings as the screws for the quarter panels also hold them down. Then remove the screws around the door casings, you also have to remove the nut on the lock end of the door pull and its chrome surround to get the panel off. The door cappings can then be removed. The dash capping is held on with three wood screws underneath and the grab handle screws.

Stuart.

:blink: that seems a heck of a job to remove a bit of chrome !

:blink: that seems a heck of a job to remove a bit of chrome !

Sorry that obviously lost something in the translation! :lol: I did PM you about removal.

The chrome trim is held in with 2Ba nuts around the inside of the mouth.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
Sorry that obviously lost something in the translation! :lol: I did PM you about removal.

The chrome trim is held in with 2Ba nuts around the inside of the mouth.

Stuart.

:lol: Thanks Stuart , didnt get the PM but then I am quite computer illiterate .

Had a good day yesterday - the 2 started for the first time yesterday in about 35 years !! It settled down to a very smooth and quiet tickover almost immediately - I couldnt believe it . There was a cracking cone of black soot and years long accumulation of muck thrown out by the exhaust on the floor . It started at the front of the garage about 3 inches wide and spread to about 2 feet wide at the back of the garage ( and up the freezer ) . My wife and son were howling :lol::lol:

Took the brake and clutch master to bits today . Its in good order other than the rubbers need replacing so is blasted and painted and now on my bench waiting for the rebuild kit to be fitted .