gearbox identification

Hi all,just starting to clean up the gearbox and found some numbers ,the car is a 1 owner but how can you tell if its the original gearbox ,would it be on a heritage certificate if i get one,

thanks in advance,regards nick.

Edited by had17462
Hi all,just starting to clean up the gearbox and found some numbers ,the car is a 1 owner but how can you tell if its the original gearbox ,would it be on a heritage certificate if i get one,

thanks in advance,regards nick.

Its a bit difficult to tell from your pictures but a TR5 gearbox number on the housing by the clutch cross shaft would start with CP*****.and it wont appear on your heritage certificate.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart.

As a matter of interest,how can one tell,,find out,, if the gearbox and back axle numbers, correspond with what was fitted when the car was built?

As the heritage certs only list the original eng,body,chassis numbers,,its possible they may have been replaced at some point with genuine, but not original to the car, new or used parts!

Just curious!!!

Dave

Hi Nick,

The box that you have is an original factory exchange reconditioned unit. These units were identified by the numbers GR...... /7 as per yours. Basically they were an old casing with new internals. Sometimes the old original number can also be found. I have one fitted to my TR6 and obtained it from a clearance sale at a Triumph Dealer in the early 80's. Moss make reference to these units in the gearbox section of their catalogue.

cheers

Derek

Hi Stuart.

As a matter of interest,how can one tell,,find out,, if the gearbox and back axle numbers, correspond with what was fitted when the car was built?

As the heritage certs only list the original eng,body,chassis numbers,,its possible they may have been replaced at some point with genuine, but not original to the car, new or used parts!

Just curious!!!

Dave

Dave I have no idea other than they are usually fairly close numbers i.e. engine/gearbox/axle. If you know someone with an unmolested car of a similar age it may give you a ball park figure.

Stuart.

• 5 years later...