1960 Taylor-Males TR3 Special

A TR3 ? With what kind of TR3 frame ?

SOLID ROUND TUBE TR3 REPLICA CHASSIS

At least it lists a TR engine :- TS 16205E

Do you suppose that this is enough to call it a TR3 ?

Viv - You saw it. What do you say ?

Hi Don,

Sorry I overlooked acknowledging your big day a few weeks back.

50 years of continuous ownership is a very big milestone.

Did a telegram arrive from the Queen, or is 60 years of ownership the marker for a gong ?.

I didn't take a good look at the Taylor-Males chassis, but according to a Register mate in our state of Tasmania where it was built, a wrecked TR3 was the basis for the car.

It certainly has a normal TR tower front suspension because what caught my eye was how they obtained negative camber on the front wheels. The upper inner fulcrum pins had the four fixing bolts removed, and were welded onto the top of the towers further inboard. I thought that to be a pretty agricultural piece of engineering, but then again it has hung together for many decades of racing.

Best regards,

Viv.

I friend in Calgary machined two adapter plates from aluminium and these are bolted to the tops of the towers. There is something on the top of the adapters where the upper parts are now bolted, but these can slide, possibly in a track or tracks - via adjusting screws, much like a tool base on a lathe, in and out then it all gets tightened down. He also reversed his cast iron lower wishbone side-arms up-side-down to lower the car. Very nice.

what caught my eye was how they obtained negative camber on the front wheels.

The upper inner fulcrum pins had the four fixing bolts removed, and were welded

onto the top of the towers further inboard. I thought that to be a pretty agricultural

piece of engineering, but then again it has hung together for many decades of racing.

A lot of trouble to go to when all you need to do is shorten the top wishbones, cut out the

appropriate amount of metal and re-weld.

I wonder if the 'tube' chassis has any element of re-design, as in an attempt to improve

the chassis, or was it just using steel tube as a convenient way to replace the damaged

chassis sections?

AlanR