lightening the flywheel

Nick

i have bought and read Gareth Thomas Tuning manual in there it said 6-8 kg can be taken off , but doesn't say where from

i am getting the tuning people i am using to look at it before they start giving me a wafer thin flywheel

depending on the cost of the std machining, TRGB supply one with ring gear for £195 but dont know how much lighter it is haven't ask them yet

regards

david

I sometimes wonder if people think Triumph used extra heavy flywheels in order to make the cars slower <_<

The later crankshafts on TR6s used heavier flywheels than earlier ones ( U.S. spec cars at least ) so I wouldn't worry about reducing these to the weight of the early ones.

When I asked my [ UK ] supplier of stage @#$%&!! head, exhaust header/ system and high lift cam ( 0.508" ) about lightening my '250 flywheel he didn't recommend it.

I wonder what it's like starting off uphill with a paper thin flywheel... :huh:

Hi Nick,

If you're rebuilding and balancing an engine, then the flywheel will usually lose a little weight by virtue of the standard skimming and balancing procedure.

Whether any more drastic weight reduction is advisable is another question. If you're looking for out-and-out competition performance, then probably yes. If you're looking for overall driveability on the road, then possibly not.

In my youth, I enquired of the local engine shop as to how much I should have the flywheel lightened by. The reply was to the effect of "how sensitive is your gear-changing, and how long are you looking for the engine and drive train to last ?".

A lightened flywheel will give a quicker engine response - but possibly at the expense of reduced service life of, for example, thrust washers, crank, clutch, gearbox . . . as in you can't have the cake and the halfpenny !

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Nick,

If you're rebuilding and balancing an engine, then the flywheel will usually lose a little weight by virtue of the standard skimming and balancing procedure.

Whether any more drastic weight reduction is advisable is another question. If you're looking for out-and-out competition performance, then probably yes. If you're looking for overall driveability on the road, then possibly not.

In my youth, I enquired of the local engine shop as to how much I should have the flywheel lightened by. The reply was to the effect of "how sensitive is your gear-changing, and how long are you looking for the engine and drive train to last ?".

A lightened flywheel will give a quicker engine response - but possibly at the expense of reduced service life of, for example, thrust washers, crank, clutch, gearbox . . . as in you can't have the cake and the halfpenny !

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec

as you know i am messing /learning with my engine and as above all the "people" state lighten the flywheel as there seemed to be no real indication as to how much and where, i was going to buy the TRGB one, my car will be a road car not race, so do you think its a waste of time

regards

david

If you are thinking of buying from TRGB anyway, talk to their workshop manager Richard Dempster. He has rebuilt (or overseen the building of) many TR engines - including mine, and tends to err on the side of reliability. He will give you honest advice on the suitability/cost effectiveness of the lightened flywheel. for your intended use.