Chassis and Engine serial numbers Help

Problem is that to change the ownership, we have to proof that all the numbers (body and engine)

are match to the registration.

I do not know how to say in English, you put the paper sticker on the number, then you scratch it

by pencil to get the numbers underneath appear, what do you call this?

You say that it is difficult if not impossible to record a change of engine number, in which case

it seems to me that the first task is to find out what engine number is recorded by whoever is

responsible for verifying its identity. It could be the 'stuck' engine that is recorded or it could

just be the 'spare' engine.

The spare engine is a factory rebuilt engine. What the factory did was rivet the brass plate over

where the original number was stamped. The original number would be under the brass plate,

stamped onto the side of the block. Security of ID was not thought of as much of a problem in

the 50s and 60s - it wouldn't be a difficult job to fix the factory brass plate to a genuine TR

engine!

I find it hard to believe that it would be impossible to get a genuine replacement engine accepted

by the authority. You can show that all is genuine, you would probably have to pay tax on the

engine you import and the receipt for that can go with your application.

What you can and cannot do in countries such as Indonesia is governed almost entirely by the

degree of cooperation of the authority and invariably their cooperation can be arranged one way

or another.

AlanR

Yes, I agree, the spare engine is no use.

That's also my thought about importing rebuilt engine, consolidated with other parts to replace the tired ones.

But the problem is that our Government policy does not allow us to import used machine.

7mm

Hi 7mm,

If you want to contact me direct that is fine. All you have to do is click on the link on the left. I would however suggest that you continue to use the forum as there are a lot of people out there that know an awful lot more about TR's than me & are ready to help. You have already had an example of this with your 'spare' engine.

As far as the dream car goes , unless you sort the paperwork out first you may just have to walk away. If I understand you correctly the seller cannot sell you the car unless the paperwork is correct, or at least you cannot register it if you buy it. Surely it is up to the seller to provide the correct documentation. If he cannot, WHY NOT?

I may be old & suspicious but could he have got hold of the old Renown engine to try to convince an unsuspecting buyer that it was the original engine. The buyer pays his money, then cannot register the car because the paperwork is wrong. If so then you are dealing with a crook - BEWARE!

If you are allowed to buy the car & register it even though it has a japanese engine in it this is still a possibility. It would still be possible to buy a brand new engine from one of the reputable suppliers & import this if this is an option although probably very expensive.

If all else fails then there are always other ways to get the right paperwork as already suggested by others!

I am sorry if I seem a bit negative, but as another contributor has already said " the paperwork can be more difficult than

the actual restoration"

Best of luck!

Thanks to all of you have given me the good info and advises.

My thought is... if the paperwork was perfect, the seller would not sell the car!

I am going to get the info locally related to the paperworks, all the possibilities could be done to make the paperwork flawless.

Best Regards,

7mm

Hi 7mm,

If you want to contact me direct that is fine. All you have to do is click on the link on the left. I would however suggest that you continue to use the forum as there are a lot of people out there that know an awful lot more about TR's than me & are ready to help. You have already had an example of this with your 'spare' engine.

As far as the dream car goes , unless you sort the paperwork out first you may just have to walk away. If I understand you correctly the seller cannot sell you the car unless the paperwork is correct, or at least you cannot register it if you buy it. Surely it is up to the seller to provide the correct documentation. If he cannot, WHY NOT?

I may be old & suspicious but could he have got hold of the old Renown engine to try to convince an unsuspecting buyer that it was the original engine. The buyer pays his money, then cannot register the car because the paperwork is wrong. If so then you are dealing with a crook - BEWARE!

If you are allowed to buy the car & register it even though it has a japanese engine in it this is still a possibility. It would still be possible to buy a brand new engine from one of the reputable suppliers & import this if this is an option although probably very expensive.

If all else fails then there are always other ways to get the right paperwork as already suggested by others!

I am sorry if I seem a bit negative, but as another contributor has already said " the paperwork can be more difficult than

the actual restoration"

Best of luck!

My thought is... if the paperwork was perfect, the seller would not sell the car!

Logical, but not necessarily correct. You did say the seller doesn't know much about the

car and obviously isn't keen enough to find out. Maybe he has tried checking up a bit,

realises there may be a few problems and hasn't the interest / enthusiasm to sort it out.

That gives you a chance to be pessimistic when talking to him about the likely problems

(to knock the price down) and get a bargain and get a nice car to enjoy.

DON'T let him know how much you like the car. It must be a very limited market - OK,

not many TRs about in Indonesia but then not many buyers either.

Be a little bit patient. Leave it a few days, go back to him saying you're half interested

but . . . . . so many problems.

AlanR

Thanks to all of you have given me the good info and advises.

I am going to get the info locally related to the paperworks, all the possibilities could be done to make the paperwork flawless.

Best Regards,

7mm

I think this is the best thing. It may take longer, but will be safer. THEN do what AlanR says , tell him it is too much effort & offer him a much lower price. He may bite your hand off.

Best of luck!

I think this is the best thing. It may take longer, but will be safer. THEN do what AlanR says , tell him it is too much effort & offer him a much lower price. He may bite your hand off.

Best of luck!

I agree, you have time on your side - who else in Indonesia is going to be mad enough to buy it! :lol:

If you do go ahead, you will get a lot of support from the Forum - many of us would probably go for it given the chance, although it will be a brave decision for a newbie to TRs. Should be a very interesting and challenging project, so I hope you make the right decision (for yourself, that is) and wish you the best of luck - I'll enjoy watching from a safe distance!