tr4 small gauge panel

hi all just could anyone tell me the correct panel on a early tr4 the one i have is stainless steel with engine turning swirls all over but looking in bill pigot original triumph book it looks differant it looks stainless but no swirls also mine has come from the us were thay differant over there

Edited by gaz2trs
Was this on Ebay recently complete with the small dials?

hi david yes it was just trying to collect some parts to get my 4 back to how it was as the build no is 10515L the dials are correct with ref in the moss book but not sure about the panel. need to find the speedo and tacko now and cubby lid i have rh dash ready just trying to collect the right bits

This is an original, but I don't know how old it is. It is a light aluminium with a regular pattern of knurling on it, yours looks as if it has the swirl marks added with a Frost type tool?

Hi gaz,

your panel may quite possibly be a period aftermarket accessory rather than a modern 'repro'.

There were a number of such proprietary 'extras' around in the 60s, in the UK and in the USA - they tended to be characterised by a simplified edge flange rather than a properly rolled rim. I was into 'custom cars' at the time, hence the recollection . . .

Cheers,

Alec

hi david yes it was just trying to collect some parts to get my 4 back to how it was as the build no is 10515L

the dials are correct with ref in the moss book but not sure about the panel. need to find the speedo and

tacko now and cubby lid i have rh dash ready just trying to collect the right bits

Hi gaz,

For car CT 10515 L, you should have a black-finished panel. I think there were

slight differences in the grain finish over the years but not so much that anyone

would notice.

Speedo and tach gauges are not too hard to find. If you are being fussy, the 3A

and 4 tachos are different, the 4 tacho shows has a red segment between 5000

and 6000.

Your small gauges should be the TR3A style - that's full face (no shroud over the

top part) and curved glasses to all gauges (large and small). Only difference is

the TR4 temp gauge looks the same but operates from an electric sensor, not the

3A capillary tube type.

AlanR

Hi gaz,

For car CT 10515 L, you should have a black-finished panel. I think there were

slight differences in the grain finish over the years but not so much that anyone

would notice.

Speedo and tach gauges are not too hard to find. If you are being fussy, the 3A

and 4 tachos are different, the 4 tacho shows has a red segment between 5000

and 6000.

Your small gauges should be the TR3A style - that's full face (no shroud over the

top part) and curved glasses to all gauges (large and small). Only difference is

the TR4 temp gauge looks the same but operates from an electric sensor, not the

3A capillary tube type.

AlanR

the gauges ref no i think match the no in the moss book and the temp gauge is a electical sensor type the panel looks old and i think its stainless my car at some point has had later gauges put in this is why i have brought these gauges and panel to get it back to the correct way it left the factory the panel on the car is black this may be the original one then and just the gauges changed so is it correct to have a black panel on build no ct 10515L would like to no

According to Original Triumph, by Bill Piggott, the last shiny panel was on CT4398, black crackle finish followed to the end.