Balancing Wire Wheels

Hello Roger

"I heard that, Pardon"

Just cos your away from home, don't think you are going to get away with that!!!!!!! Sue

PS. see if you can live this one down, especially in Le Mans :lol::lol::lol::lol::unsure::unsure::unsure:<_<

Edited by SuzanneH
  • 4 weeks later...
Could it ruin the splines in my wire wheel hubs if the high speed balancing is done without the adapters. I'm getting mixed signals and none of the shops that I deal with have the adapters.

Also I have two M+S/mud tyres that I was thinking about putting on the rear for a little rallying. Can I mix the muds with the regular radials that I have on the front? Getting mixed signals on this too.

Thanks

Dave

Thanks to everyone who responded...very helpful. I was finally able to find someone who had both the experience and the proper adapters to balance my new tires on my wire wheels. I watched him closely and without the proper adapters I have to believe there would have been some risk in messing up the splines. The other thing I leaned which wasn't that much of a surprise is that wire wheels can also be heavily unbalanced even without tyres mounted. In one case my tyre guy suggested that I get the wire wheels trued up first but I convinced him to put on some extra weights.

Thanks again.

Dave

1965 TR4

Thanks to everyone who responded...very helpful. I was finally able to find someone who had both the experience and the proper adapters to balance my new tires on my wire wheels. I watched him closely and without the proper adapters I have to believe there would have been some risk in messing up the splines. The other thing I leaned which wasn't that much of a surprise is that wire wheels can also be heavily unbalanced even without tyres mounted. In one case my tyre guy suggested that I get the wire wheels trued up first but I convinced him to put on some extra weights.

Thanks again.

Dave

1965 TR4

Dave,

I am glad you found an acceptable resolution. I do not hold with the "Do it on the car" method, I believe it is a waste of time.

Two comments. First where did you find the "Angel of Mercy" (it would help others). And secondly, all those who disagree with my comments, please don't bother to remonstrate, there will be no further response, not only that, I know I'm right!

A Pringle Esq, PM me, gl@vowhtr.org will do, we have things to discuss.

Dave,

I am glad you found an acceptable resolution. I do not hold with the "Do it on the car" method, I believe it is a waste of time.

Two comments. First where did you find the "Angel of Mercy" (it would help others). And secondly, all those who disagree with my comments, please don't bother to remonstrate, there will be no further response, not only that, I know I'm right!

A Pringle Esq, PM me, gl@vowhtr.org will do, we have things to discuss.

Yes, I wonder if a list of tyre places could be conpiled where we know there is a reasonable chance of 'getting it right'!

I have Minilites with centre splines on my car but still get wheel wobble at times.

Regards,

Monty.

Been there got the tee-shirt and found a garage with "On car" wheel balancer.

The difference is magic. Its the only way to go. Do'nt worry about splines. Worry about broken spokes!

You'll never notice till you look.

I thought broken spokes were normally found on old high mileage poor condition wheels - wrong.

My standard chrome wires were bought new in 1999 (MWS) and still look new, although I have checked the spokes occasionally it was only recently whilst having new tyres fitted that I noticed one wheel was running slightly out of true. I found one broken long spoke ( mushroom head parted company from main spoke dia).

I replaced this one and then checked the other 3 wheels and found one more in the other back wheel. Apparently the best way to check for loose or broken spokes is to go round the wheel and tap each spoke with a sold metal bar about 3/8 dia, they should "ring" a loose or broken one will have a dull sound.

I replaced the broken spokes and just tightened until they all sounded about the same, surprise the wheels run true.

One point on ballancing, with the response to this post there must be an opportunity for the Register or someone to make a batch of the required adaptors. I have some made a while ago to the Moss data, and although my "correct" rear cone taper is a slightly different taper to the one on the tyre shop machine cones they both work the same, it is the adaptor which fits over the outer external taper on the wheel which is all that is really needed.

Chris

As its not always possible to have a piece of steel bar handy in your pocket :blink: a quick check of spoke integrity is to go round the spokes flicking them in the centre with your index fingernail, doesnt need to be very hard (painful) and you will get a ring out of them if they are tight and a a dull thud if they are suspect. Good test when confronted with second hand wheels at autojumbles etc.

Stuart.