steering wheel bushes

just replaced steering column bushes with art delvins poly bushes.these went in very tight, used anti seize on inside and gorrilla glue on outside as recommended.wheel does not turn freely,very sticky.the poly is really grabing.any suggestions on how to free this up. bushes are not coming out.also the steering cowl(steering covering) is moving to (side to side and front to back).I figure the support strap has loosened from all the banging on the steering rod.any suggestions.is there a bracket on the fire wall to support the column which i may have damaged. is it attached to the column? thanks for any suggestions

just replaced steering column bushes with art delvins poly bushes.these went in very tight, used anti seize on inside and gorrilla glue on outside as recommended.wheel does not turn freely,very sticky.the poly is really grabing.any suggestions on how to free this up. bushes are not coming out.also the steering cowl(steering covering) is moving to (side to side and front to back).I figure the support strap has loosened from all the banging on the steering rod.any suggestions.is there a bracket on the fire wall to support the column which i may have damaged. is it attached to the column? thanks for any suggestions

Hi Mark ,

Welcome to the forum,

The wheel should turn freely , i reckon you will have to disconnected doughnut and steering wheel etc and take out the shaft and give it a good clean up with wire wool.

The shaft is supported by fire wall with two bolts and also right behind the tacho you will see a bar going up at about 45 degrees from the clamp(immediately behind the dash) Seems like the bolts are all loose.

Thats alli can suggest, i have just done mine , what makes it difficult us getting to it i would also suggest you get a good manual as that will help no end.

Good Luck

Guy

http://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index....5&hl=bushes

Edited by Jersey Royal

If the shaft is painted it can be extra tight....mine was, so I cleaned the paint of....then it was loose! That Gorilla glue foams and expands in volume

A LOT!...did you dribble any where you shouldn't?

john

hi mark

I have completed this job about 4 weeks ago, I stripped the column out as a sub assembly disconnected it from the doughnut, I was told to use no lubrication or glue to hold them in, lubrication attracts dirt which increase wear to the bush, I believe the glue has got inside the bush, why did you glue it in ? the rubber fixings on the bush should hold it, I think you need to strip the unit down and start again you need to get the steering right

let us no how it goes

pinky

hi mark

I have completed this job about 4 weeks ago, I stripped the column out as a sub assembly disconnected it from the doughnut, I was told to use no lubrication or glue to hold them in, lubrication attracts dirt which increase wear to the bush, I believe the glue has got inside the bush, why did you glue it in ? the rubber fixings on the bush should hold it, I think you need to strip the unit down and start again you need to get the steering right

let us no how it goes

pinky

He glued in the bushes becase he is not using the standard bushes with ears but instead is using the Art Lipp bushes made of Delrin that can be installed instead of or in addition to the old worn out standard bushes. The installation can be done without removing the steering colum which is in itself a blessing but as the Delrin bushes have nothing to positively locate them in the outer column, Art instructs people to glue them in with gorilla glue.

Bob Danielson did a nice job of describing the procedure here:

http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org/SteeringColumn.htm

Art Lipp's web site is here:

http://www.trparts.com/newitems/column.html

Art also makes a nice throttle bush kit for us LHD folks who find the teflon throttle shaft bushes a PITA to deal with. I will be installing that kit shortly. I also have a set of the Delrin steering column bushes here on my desk. When I get a chance I'll fit one onto a spare inner column shaft and see how tight they are.

Stan

I checked a set of Art Lipp's Delrin bushes on a spare inner colum and while they are a snug fit the column moves freely.

You mention that the cover is moving.. I assume you mean the part that the switches are attached to and where the plastic trim pieces with the swtch logo's are attached. This is a notoriously flimsy joint so if you have been bashing the steering column around without protecting this joint there is a good chance that the joint between the bell shaped end piece and the outer column tube has broken. Time for more gorilla glue or stronger if that is the case..

Stan