How do you fit the Anti rattle plunger on gear lever into selector well?

blink: I have now become an expert at picking up the plunger (bearing) off the garage floor, car floor and the selector well!! Is there a simple way of fitting this item?

July this year will be my 6th year of restoring what was an absolute rusty wreck of a TR250 to nearly on the road car. Converted to right hand drive and have installed o/d and a fully mapped electronic injection system, just need to complete these so called simple tasks before MOT :D

blink: I have now become an expert at picking up the plunger (bearing) off the garage floor, car floor and the selector well!! Is there a simple way of fitting this item?

July this year will be my 6th year of restoring what was an absolute rusty wreck of a TR250 to nearly on the road car. Converted to right hand drive and have installed o/d and a fully mapped electronic injection system, just need to complete these so called simple tasks before MOT :D

First thing to do if it is a repro item is try compressing it into the lever to make sure that the spring doesnt become coilbound before the ball goes in far enough to insert the lever into the housing.

Some of the repro springs are too long!

I usually use a small hose clip or a cable tie to retain the ball in tight and then place the lever on the selectors and then give it a sharp tap on the top of the lever to seat it which will displace the hose clip/cable tie as it goes down and remove the hose clip/cable tie afterwards.

Stuart

Would,nt mind seeing some photo's of your fully mapped electronic injection set up and details if you have time.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter. :blink:

Harry

You're encouragable :lol:

I have now become an expert at picking up the plunger (bearing) off the garage floor, car floor and the selector well!! Is there a simple way of fitting this item?

Bearing? I think this is supposed to be a short rod with chamfered ends - mine are, at least. With this type, the plunger will stay part way in its hole with the spring relaxed and installation is no problem. If you have to make one you can use a bolt shank of the proper diameter, with length ! 1-1/2 to 2x the diameter, with the outboard end rounded slightly. It doesn't need to be especially hard.

Bearing? I think this is supposed to be a short rod with chamfered ends - mine are, at least. With this type, the plunger will stay part way in its hole with the spring relaxed and installation is no problem. If you have to make one you can use a bolt shank of the proper diameter, with length ! 1-1/2 to 2x the diameter, with the outboard end rounded slightly. It doesn't need to be especially hard.

I think a lot of the problems encountered with the fitting is down to the fact that with the repro springs the small rod section doesnt sit into the hole far enough to start and when compressed it becomes coil bound before seating properly. Even with original parts you need the stick in exactly the right plane to get it to go in easily and lets face it Tom you and I have done this lots of times over the years and as they say "Practice makes perfect"

Stuart.