tr4 heater controls

hi everyone

took my new 4 for a long run through the hills the other day with my mate in a 1300gt jnr alfa - we had a blast.

Just need some advice on the heater controls as it is not immediatemly obvious what is supposed to be happening.

The three heater controls down low on the central dash-to-transmission tunnel panel thingy are a single speed fan on and off ( in the middlle) and two other controls. On the right is the heater matrix valve and on the left is the diverter valve control ( with a picture of a seat and two arrows)

I am curious as the heater does not appear to work very well

Does pulling the matrix valve control out open the valve to supply hot water to heater matrix or does it close off the flow.

Where is the flow of air being direct to and from when I pull the left hand knob out

Also is the fresh air vent infront of the windscreen (the one that pops up) ducted throught the heater matrix/ heater fan/ diverter mechanism or is this purely for fresh non heated outdoor air. Where is this fresh air supposed to enter the cabin.

Hope this all makes sense

Cheers

andrew

hi everyone

took my new 4 for a long run through the hills the other day with my mate in a 1300gt jnr alfa - we had a blast.

Just need some advice on the heater controls as it is not immediatemly obvious what is supposed to be happening.

The three heater controls down low on the central dash-to-transmission tunnel panel thingy are a single speed fan on and off ( in the middlle) and two other controls. On the right is the heater matrix valve and on the left is the diverter valve control ( with a picture of a seat and two arrows)

I am curious as the heater does not appear to work very well

Does pulling the matrix valve control out open the valve to supply hot water to heater matrix or does it close off the flow.

Where is the flow of air being direct to and from when I pull the left hand knob out

Also is the fresh air vent infront of the windscreen (the one that pops up) ducted throught the heater matrix/ heater fan/ diverter mechanism or is this purely for fresh non heated outdoor air. Where is this fresh air supposed to enter the cabin.

Hope this all makes sense

Cheers

andrew

Andrew The vent flap needs to be open for any air to enter the heater and fresh air vents. The fresh air vents are fed down through the plenum behind the bulkhead and to get it into the car the vents at each end of the dash need to be open. For heat the fresh air dash vents need to be closed and the temperature control should be out all the way. The distribution knob controls hot air up to the screen when pushed in and down to the feet when pulled out. The fan will assist the heater when the vent flap is shut. If you arent getting much heat it may be the matrix needs cleaning out or the valve on the engine isnt opening correctly and allowing hot water to flow to the unit.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi andrew,

I think the controls are the same as the 4A.

The one that turns the hot water valve on/off needs to be pulled to make things get warmer. However having pulled it I would also check inside the engine bay that it did actually open 'Fully' - sometime they don't.

The other control has three positions (I think). Fully in and the air goes nowhere/facia. Pulled to the first stop and the air goes to the windscreen and usually works very well. Fully out and the glowing airstream is directed all over your feet.

However where does the air come from - With the external air vent in front of the screen open, air is rammed in due to forward motion or sucked with the fan unit and directed as above.

If the director valve is closed/fully in then with the external vent open 'fresh' air is blown out of the facia vents - along with leaves, bugs and a certain amount of dust.

If the external vent is shut then air can be drawn into the heater from the facia vents (if open).

The heater has the capability to be very warm/hot if working OK. If it is not doing the job then some diagnosis needs to be done.

1. Disconnect the heater input pipe, fully open heater valve, run engine and note the water flow. If adequate continue below otherwise you have bigger problems than a

blocked heater.

2. Disconnect the heater output pipe and somehow direct back into radiator (remove rad cap).

3. Fully open the heater valve.

4. Run the engine and note the water flow coming out of the heater. If OK scratch head!!! If not OK use rad flush etc and a garden hose to try and clear blockage.

Roger

thanks guys

just knowing what the knobs are supposed to do will be a good start. The valve on the engine appears new and works smoothyl so i suspect this isnt the problem.

Good to know that you can 'recirculate' cabin air in through the fascia vents through the heater and out onto your feet or windscreen.

I guess this means thought that there is no way that hot air should be coming out of the fascia vents which is what i was experimenting with and trying to get to happen (like a modern car).

BTW there seems to be a reasonable amount of heat which can be felt through the gearstick aperture - pleasant I imagine on wintery days

cheers for your replies

andrew

"BTW there seems to be a reasonable amount of heat which can be felt through the gearstick aperture - pleasant I imagine on wintery days

cheers for your replies

andrew"

Yes, that is yet another of Standard Triumph's innovative ground breaking features - for some reason not taken up by other manufacturers!! :lol:

Regards

Peter

BTW there seems to be a reasonable amount of heat which can be felt through the gearstick aperture - pleasant I imagine on wintery days

You may also find that if your gearbox tunnel insulation is not as good as it could be the exhaust will keep your left foot toasty.

So am I right in saying that to get the heater working at its "hottest" if you like, the vent flap on the bonnet has to be open??

Not so sure about that. With the vent flap open, you are drawing in new air from outside.

With it closed, you are re-circulating the air inside the car. Maybe that gives you less

volume (depends on the speed you are doing) but it must be warmer than drawing

air from outside.

AlanR

Edited by TR 2100

Hi David,

with the heater working as it should be you will get the most volume of 'hot' air out of the heater with the external vent open.

You may get slightly hotter air with the vent closed but much less volume and as the air is cooled on leaving the heater it will feel

cooler than the less hot air (vent open) at greater volume.

I shall lay down as my brain hurts!!

Rgds

Roger

Its always best to run with the flap open now and then to dry any moisture out from the plenum. Thats the advantage of 4/4a heater/fresh air vents as at least they manage some airflow through the ends of the plenum rather than the 5/6 type where its a dead end and thus far more prone to rot.

Stuart.