I'm hoping for some suggestions as to possible cause of a fault that's developed on my 4a over winter.

I was driving it yesterday in the rain (a rare occurencef), switched on the wipers they started working very slowly, then got slower then slower, then even slower, we're talking several seconds per sweep, then stopped completely.

I switched them off, then when I tried them again some time later it did the same again.

The fact that they work at all suggests to me that it's not a fault with the motor (have you seen the price :blink: !!)

So I'm thinking maybe one or both of the wiper gear box things may have partially ceased.

Does anyone have any better ideas? Or experienced a similar problem?

I can't be too complicated, there's not much to go wrong!

Check that there is 12v at the motor - could be a voltage drop across a dodgy contact.

If it's not that then it's either a siezed mechanism or your motor's sh4gged.

I would hope it's the motor if I was you as despite the expense, it's a damn sight easier to replace than trying to get at the wheel boxes!

Hope it's and easy/ cheap fix!

Adey

I can't be too complicated, there's not much to go wrong!

Check that there is 12v at the motor - could be a voltage drop across a dodgy contact.

If it's not that then it's either a siezed mechanism or your motor's sh4gged.

I would hope it's the motor if I was you as despite the expense, it's a damn sight easier to replace than trying to get at the wheel boxes!

Hope it's and easy/ cheap fix!

Adey

Thanks Ade, rain has stopped so I'll drag it out of the garage and have a look now.

Colin

Colin,

I have had exactly the same problem. I have now removed the wiper motor and drive cable and found the drivers side wheelbox is partially seized. I am not looking forward to replacing it at all :angry:

I rebuilt my car in 2001 and used new wheelboxes, which I now believe may be TR6 items which are apparently different.

Hope this helps.

Graeme

you could try removing the cable and then turning the wheelbox wheel through 180 degrees as it has unlikely been done before thereby exposing previously unused side of the wheel which should have zero wear.

I did this once on a spitfire and it solved the problem,the trick is to remove the cable and not touch the wheelboxes at all until you are ready to spin them through 180 degrees.on rethreading the cable to the same length as before ensures you are on a fresh wheel.

hope this helps

alan

Thanks for your suggestions, dragged it out of the garage rooted in the loft to find the motor I took of a Triumph 2000 in a scrap yard 20 years ago, before I took anything to bits I gave them another try and sure enough they're now working OK.

Only difference is yesterday it was raining. today it wasn't so I appear to have wipers that work fine as long as it's not raining. :huh:

Good news is I don't tend to take it out in the rain, so shouldn't be too much of a problem, as long as they work the once a year I need them to, for the MOT.

But I'll be filling you suggestions away for next time they break.

Thanks again

Colin

Hi Colin,

I had a similar problem, the wipers did their own thing. In the rain very dodgy, turn on and off a few times and hey presto all OK next day hopeless. when checking with a multimeter all seemed well and wipers quite happy. Next day in the wet (it rained a lot last year) hopeless.

New motor sorted the problem. Whats the use of having £120 in your pocket doing nothing !!!!!

However to check the wheel boxes uncouple the drive shaft at the motor and see how much force is required to move the wipers (lift wipers off screen first).

Roger