Guy,

When I did mine last summer I used 5/16 UNC helicoils and studs that were UNC at one end (into the arm) and UNF the other (to take a standard nyloc). Loukas at the TR shop found these for me but Moss and others also supply them.

I actually didn't drill out the holes in the trailing arm at all before cutting the new threads (I think I read to do it that way in a previous post on the forum). The old threads had been stripped out completely and with the arm being a fairly soft alloy it was very easy to cut the 5/16 thread straight into the existing hole.

Use a light oil and go slowly - I was nervous about ruining the arms but it wasn't a difficult job in the end.

Ben

Guy

I think you will find, the 1.5 refers to the length of the heli coil. It should be 1.5 times the dia, which should equate to 6 threads. As Ben has stated, I would not bother drilling out the stripped threads, in Aluminium, only in steel. The lubricant I have always used, for tapping out Aluminium, is diesel or paraffin; again I wouldn’t bother, but if you must, then use something like WD 40.

Mike G

Thanks Ben ,Mike,John and Stuart,

For your advice

Have completed the drivers side, there was only one to replace.

As was said, i didnt use a drill bit, just the tap insert, with a little lubricant, and by hand, cleaned out the swarf and remebered to knock off the tang.

Now to the other two on other side

Cheers

Guy