engine cutting out after driving approx.4 -5 miles continued

After posting my problem on the TR4/4a forum Nigel Lay suggested that the problem could be the rotor arm and recommended that I contact the Distributor Doctor for a replacement.I found his web site and the it seemed some of the Lucas rotor arms shorted out internally between the brass rivit and the metal clip that is in contact with the distributor shaft and the results matched what was happening with my TR.ie would restart after cooling down.I looked at the rotor arm carefully and there was some discolouration around the metal clip even though the rest of the rotor arm looked brand new.

I sent for a rotor arm from the Distributor Doctor,which came the next day,and fitted it this morning.I am happy to say that I drove the TR for about 2 hours ,including heavy traffic through road works,and it never missed a beat.This all after I had drained the petrol tank replaced any suspect hoses,serviced the petrol pump,stripped the carbs and cleaned them and balanced them.Many thanks to all the people who posted advice and the Distributor Doctor who was willing to spend sometime discussing my problems. :rolleyes:

Very glad to hear the problem has been nailed!

I hope you bought TWO rotor arms from Martin (Distributor Doctor) - one as a spare. Although his rotor arms are unlikely to fail, it's always a good idea to carry a spare, if only to cover the possibility of mislaying or damaging the thing (it's so small, one might drop it and be unable to locate it)!

Ian Cornish

Very glad to hear the problem has been nailed!

I hope you bought TWO rotor arms from Martin (Distributor Doctor) - one as a spare. Although his rotor arms are unlikely to fail, it's always a good idea to carry a spare, if only to cover the possibility of mislaying or damaging the thing (it's so small, one might drop it and be unable to locate it)!

Ian Cornish

Yes I did buy two rotor arms from Martin.The one that failed was a Lucas item bought from Halfords and virtually brand new and which I totally ignored as the cause of the problem.

Brian Grove

Brian,

Glad to be of some help, this happened to me on my wife's Minor some years ago. I bet the 'lucas' rotor arm you bought was in a green box. They are not the old original lucas we all knew, the name only has been franchised as far as I can tell. Attached is a photo I took of the so called lucas one breaking down, it gave me a long walk home - well it lasted 2 miles :blink:

Have fun - Nigel (with TS952)

Edited by Nigel Lay

Speaking about the rotors on sale from Martin, does anyone use them on a Lumenition Optical switch. I had a look at the rotors at the International and had the impression that they would interfer with the optical module ;) Unfortunately, due to time constaints, I was not able to speek to Martin :(

Brian,

Glad to be of some help, this happened to me on my wife's Minor some years ago. I bet the 'lucas' rotor arm you bought was in a green box. They are not the old original lucas we all knew, the name only has been franchised as far as I can tell. Attached is a photo I took of the so called lucas one breaking down, it gave me a long walk home - well it lasted 2 miles :blink:

Have fun - Nigel (with TS952)

Thanks for that Nigel,

I was under the impression that the faulty rotor arms were some 'non-descript' pattern parts...... I just replaced mine with a 'Genuine Lucas' in the green box :( ...... Does the supplier know that they are failing? I trust that you are all sending the duff ones back for refunds?

john

The "genuine Lucas ones in the green box" are those which fail with no warning whatsoever! The last time it happened to me was when we were doing a photo-shoot for a French magazine at Revington TR in May 2006. I drove 4VC across the road to Neil's new premises and positioned it where required for some shots. I was then asked to move it so that 6VC could be photographed. The engine turned over, but didn't fire, so we pushed the car across the yard and I got out my tools. It was a failure of the rotor arm! That's when Martin, who was still working at Revington, told me about the problems with the Lucas part!

Since then, Martin has had rotor arms of the correct pattern manufactured, and I purchased two. One has been fitted, and the second placed in the kit of electrical spares which I carry in the car. The "genuine Lucas" rubbish went in the bin! Well worth the 2 x £5.95 for peace of mind - a TR isn't really a TR if it can't run!

Ian Cornish

I think I still have a few old Lucas rotor arms stashed away as spares but carry old used ones in the car toolkits. Is there an easy way to test whether these are good or is it a case of 'suck it and see'?

Not sure what's in either of the cars at the moment, so I think I will invest in a few spares from Martin. I seem to recall I have two different lengths of the brass rotor. How do I know which should be fitted to any particular engine/distributor combination?