Oil cooler oil flow direction query.

I would love to know how you got on, i'll see what Mocal come back with first, once they receive my bits, i also notice Moss sell both types of stat in their catalogue too, its of great concern if one of these possibly incorrectly supplied devices could Knacker an engine (who'd pay?). I too will be glad when i can fit and forget ;)

Update

Still no reply from Rimmers apart from they have forwarded my comments to Mocal and await there response. Have send a further e mail today as a reminder.

E mail is supposed to be fast these days, and i find it irritating when you dont get answers back same day. :angry: Maybe its just me and the start of one of those days.

Cheers

Guy

Bloody great, i have got the same push on ot/1 stat, which i got from Rimmers, i have sent them an e mail.

If its not suitable why sell it :angry:

Not happy, will let you know the outcome.

Cheers

Guy

I spoke to Mocal this saturday and have asked them to supply me with a new set of hoses with the correct type of oil stat. Mocal have very kindly agreed to swap my incorrect stat for the correct type free of charge as a good will gesture, for which i am very grateful.

The gentleman i spoke to (wont mention his name) also confirmed he'd had an e-mail from rimmers asking which type of stat Mocal would recommend, needless to say i don't think it was the type we have both had initially. If i find out more i'll let you know.

When my engine got hot i lost all oil pressure with the push on stat, fortunately it was idling in the garage, so i could turn off before any damage was done, so be careful if you take the car for a spin, might be a different story with the engine in gear/under load ;)

I spoke to Mocal this saturday and have asked them to supply me with a new set of hoses with the correct type of oil stat. Mocal have very kindly agreed to swap my incorrect stat for the correct type free of charge as a good will gesture, for which i am very grateful.

The gentleman i spoke to (wont mention his name) also confirmed he'd had an e-mail from rimmers asking which type of stat Mocal would recommend, needless to say i don't think it was the type we have both had initially. If i find out more i'll let you know.

When my engine got hot i lost all oil pressure with the push on stat, fortunately it was idling in the garage, so i could turn off before any damage was done, so be careful if you take the car for a spin, might be a different story with the engine in gear/under load ;)

Hi James,

Thanks for the above info, Rimmers have today confirmed they have re emailed Mocal. Think i will see if anything happens tomorrow then phone them direct.

Is this their number.. 0208 568 1172.

How many Tr6 do you think have been supplied with the incorrect stat by Tr Suppliers, and whom concluded the ot/1, was correct ? So who is going to end up with egg on there faces?

Personaly i just want it sorted and The Suppliers to ammend there information accordingly.

Cheers

Guy

Hi James,

Thanks for the above info, Rimmers have today confirmed they have re emailed Mocal. Think i will see if anything happens tomorrow then phone them direct.

Is this their number.. 0208 568 1172.

How many Tr6 do you think have been supplied with the incorrect stat by Tr Suppliers, and whom concluded the ot/1, was correct ? So who is going to end up with egg on there faces?

Personaly i just want it sorted and The Suppliers to ammend there information accordingly.

Cheers

Guy

I used 020 8232 3523,

good luck ;)

James

I used 020 8232 3523,

good luck ;)

James

Have just had a reply from my supplier....

"I have finally received information from Mocal, and they would recommend

an OT2 for the TR6"

So there you go , dont fit an 0T1, unfortunately my supplier isnt as generous as yours James, at the moment.

May have to reconsider who i use in the future, although i have not in the past had any need to whinge or moan and rant.

Cheers

Guy

Hmm, i hope you end up with a happy outcome Guy somehow. I have now recieved the correct stat and pipework, but does it matter which way i connect this baby up?. it has come assembled with the hoses already connected, but does it matter which way the oil flows through the stat?, will be glad when this is all sorted ;) .People must be getting bored of this thread :P

Hmm, i hope you end up with a happy outcome Guy somehow. I have now recieved the correct stat and pipework, but does it matter which way i connect this baby up?. it has come assembled with the hoses already connected, but does it matter which way the oil flows through the stat?, will be glad when this is all sorted ;) .People must be getting bored of this thread :P

James,

Have a look at these instalation instructions,

http://www.motionaero.com/files/Mocal_Oil_Thermostats.pdf

I have only had a brief look but seems it doesnt matter with the ot2, might be worth a call to the man at Mocal.

Although Mocal recommend the ot2, according to my supplier an ot1 would work with 13 row cooler on a standard six motor. Mine aint and nor are most, so looks like i will be footing the bill for ot2 and associated pipework.

Incidently what size pipework have they supplied?

Cheers

Guy

I have now recieved the correct stat and pipework, but does it matter which way i connect this baby up?. it has come assembled with the hoses already connected, but does it matter which way the oil flows through the stat?, :P

Take off the hoses.

Imagine the stat is a little car with four stubby wheels. Place it so you are above the car.

Squint through the stat. In one of the two channels you should see a spring. Position that channel so it's the front wheels and they are at the top.

The stat is held together by four small bolts - with the spring channel as the front wheels, you should find that the boltheads are at the bottom.

Now the right-hand front wheel is the oil inlet from the engine.

The right-hand back wheel is the oil return to the engine.

Ivor

Edited by 88V8

OK, thanks for the detailed fitting instructions, i will have a go at fitting tomorrow or saturday, i believe the weather might be good this weekend, would be nice to finally get the car out of the garage ;) . The pipework supplied with the stat is the same diameter as the previous one (1/2")

Thanks again, will let you know how i get on,

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, James

Have just recieved my ot/2 stat, its only taken 3-4 weeks for them to sort out.

i ended up coughing up for two stats the correct one and not so correct one, oh well never mind, :angry:

I have the 1/2 inch hoses any tips on how to fit to 5/8 push on connectors on ot/2, have tried hot waterand just cant get them on.

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal
I have the 1/2 inch hoses any tips on how to fit to 5/8 push on connectors on ot/2, have tried hot waterand just cant get them on.

1/2" onto 5/8", are you sure they're meant for each other so to speak?

I also used the Mocal 1/2" hose and the connectors I bought with the stat, some straight, some 45 angle, sorry didn't bother check the size as I bought it all at the counter from Mocal.

Boy was it a struggle.

Now I should say that I'm the 'before' in the Charles Atlas ad, so that may have something to do with it, but here's how I managed.

First, suck eggs n'stuff, you've mounted the stat on the car and know exactly the hose lengths....

So I spannered the first connector tightly onto an old oil filter housing and put in the vice, it has to be solid so it won't move.

I aligned it so it was precisely how I would need it aligned for pushing against it, and I should explain that I held the hose and pushed, I had no success at all trying to push the connector into the hose.

In fact, I had started by holding the hose in the Workmate, and pushing the connector, the Workmate slid across the floor in one direction, my feet went in the other, the hose said haha. :lol:

Anyway, the alignment in the vice I checked by actually practicing pushing, I mean really pushing, and at the same time noted how I needed my body (ooooooh) and feet aligned so I could stand in the correct position ab initio, no shuffling around with the hose cooling.... and I adjusted the alignment in the vice until perfect.

You only get one chance with this hose, if it goes on half-way you can't get it off again without cutting, so I hope you have enough to spare to mess one length up... like I did.. :blink:

Then I put some vaseline on the connector spigot, quite a lot. Also slipped the hose-end finisher disc onto the connector.

Then got a small but deep metal pot and filled it with water (you were on the right track). Don't have a primus, so I heated it with a paint stripper gun, got the water boiling.

Then I held the hose in it, so it was immersed just past the point of expansion on the connector, don't want to soften too much length of the hose otherwise it will collapse when you push....

And it shouldn't touch the sides or bottom whilst heating cos that will harden it, you need it soft.

I boiled it for two full minutes, rehearsing in my mind the moves to get the hose to the spigot. Moved my feet and my body (oooooh) into the right position.

Then took the hose out, with my fingers already in the grip needed for pushing. On my left hand - the one nearest the heat - I had a glove, not just any glove but a golf glove so it wouldn't slip.

The instant I took the hose out of the water, I put the hose against the connector and pushed like my life depended on it.

No twist, just push. It has to be one huge continuous push, no pause.

By this means, got some of the ends fully home, others about 1/8" shy, but the disc finishers covered them all OK.

To backtrack a bit, after the first hose was connectored at both ends, I went back to the car, with the connectored hose, fastened it onto the stat and rechecked the length of the next hose. And after the second and third hoses. There was some variance from my initial measurements.

So there it is. No leaks and it looks OK, but next reincarnation, more muscles O Lord :wacko:

All that grief and aggravation sure makes the braided stainless hoses with their threaded connections seem cheap!

But grief & aggravation is what we do - after all, Brits designed the TR :lol:

1/2" onto 5/8", are you sure they're meant for each other so to speak?

I also used the Mocal 1/2" hose and the connectors I bought with the stat, some straight, some 45 angle, sorry didn't bother check the size as I bought it all at the counter from Mocal.

Boy was it a struggle.

Now I should say that I'm the 'before' in the Charles Atlas ad, so that may have something to do with it, but here's how I managed.

First, suck eggs n'stuff, you've mounted the stat on the car and know exactly the hose lengths....

So I spannered the first connector tightly onto an old oil filter housing and put in the vice, it has to be solid so it won't move.

I aligned it so it was precisely how I would need it aligned for pushing against it, and I should explain that I held the hose and pushed, I had no success at all trying to push the connector into the hose.

In fact, I had started by holding the hose in the Workmate, and pushing the connector, the Workmate slid across the floor in one direction, my feet went in the other, the hose said haha. :lol:

Anyway, the alignment in the vice I checked by actually practicing pushing, I mean really pushing, and at the same time noted how I needed my body (ooooooh) and feet aligned so I could stand in the correct position ab initio, no shuffling around with the hose cooling.... and I adjusted the alignment in the vice until perfect.

You only get one chance with this hose, if it goes on half-way you can't get it off again without cutting, so I hope you have enough to spare to mess one length up... like I did.. :blink:

Then I put some vaseline on the connector spigot, quite a lot. Also slipped the hose-end finisher disc onto the connector.

Then got a small but deep metal pot and filled it with water (you were on the right track). Don't have a primus, so I heated it with a paint stripper gun, got the water boiling.

Then I held the hose in it, so it was immersed just past the point of expansion on the connector, don't want to soften too much length of the hose otherwise it will collapse when you push....

And it shouldn't touch the sides or bottom whilst heating cos that will harden it, you need it soft.

I boiled it for two full minutes, rehearsing in my mind the moves to get the hose to the spigot. Moved my feet and my body (oooooh) into the right position.

Then took the hose out, with my fingers already in the grip needed for pushing. On my left hand - the one nearest the heat - I had a glove, not just any glove but a golf glove so it wouldn't slip.

The instant I took the hose out of the water, I put the hose against the connector and pushed like my life depended on it.

No twist, just push. It has to be one huge continuous push, no pause.

By this means, got some of the ends fully home, others about 1/8" shy, but the disc finishers covered them all OK.

To backtrack a bit, after the first hose was connectored at both ends, I went back to the car, with the connectored hose, fastened it onto the stat and rechecked the length of the next hose. And after the second and third hoses. There was some variance from my initial measurements.

So there it is. No leaks and it looks OK, but next reincarnation, more muscles O Lord :wacko:

Ivor,

Thanks for the above method.

Made me laugh, :lol::lol::lol: . For a simple job its a royal pain in the deriere.

Not sure though that we have the same ends on the stat, my 0t2 has push on connectors, i i have to push the 1/2 pipe over it.

Where as yours a think are screw jobbies and you have made up the pipe ends yourself

I will give it another go with the stat in a vice, lots of boiling water, loads of vaseline or ky, get my feet positioned correctly, borrow a golfing glove, and push that little hose all the way in one go. :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Thanks Again

Regards

Guy

Not sure though that we have the same ends on the stat, my 0t2 has push on connectors, i i have to push the 1/2 pipe over it.

Where as yours a think are screw jobbies and you have made up the pipe ends yourself

You're right, sorry I didn't pick that up, but I think the same mod op would apply.

However, it may be I'm not understanding something, but if you have 5/8" push-on connectors and 1/2" hose, I would be inclined to give Mocal a ring before you try again, because I think you have nooooo chance, not even if you boil it in extra-virgin olive oil. :lol:

You're right, sorry I didn't pick that up, but I think the same mod op would apply.

However, it may be I'm not understanding something, but if you have 5/8" push-on connectors and 1/2" hose, I would be inclined to give Mocal a ring before you try again, because I think you have nooooo chance, not even if you boil it in extra-virgin olive oil. :lol:

Thanks Ivor,

To be honest,this whole five week episode in just fitting a stat into my oil cooler system has been a nightmare.

Rimmers supplied ot/1 stat, apparently incorrect for the six, they took advice from Mocal, all of a sudden it could be fitted, ordered new pipes to suit as mine had hardened over the years, then it transpires that the ot1 is only suitable for a standard car, but would be better of with ot2. Rimmers ordered ot2 for me being fully aware of hoses i had, as they supplied them, they reckoned they would be a tight fit but possible. :huh:

I dont need this grief am cheesed off, going to have to chill out, before i go near that stat and pipes or they may well be launched into space. :unsure::unsure:

Rant over

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

Final Update.

Spoken with Nick at Mocal, (think auto ltd)

nice chap and has sorted it out for me, sending a screw type ot2, and fittings that will connect to existing pipework. :rolleyes: :rolleyes

So the Moral of the story i suppose is, do more research on your product or deal with the main agent where ever possible.

Cheers

Guy

update. I recieved the parts from Nick the next day, all now fitted, job done, phew

Edited by Jersey Royal