What to do with the wiring loom when going to RHD

Hello

I have come to that point in my TR4 restoration where I am wondering whether to get a RHD wiring loom or whether to make do with my current LHD one. Can someone who has done this let me know how easy it is to use the LHD loom when converting to RHD? Are any modifications required or is it just a case of squeezing it in? Thanks for your help.

Myles

Although I have not done this, I don't think there are many differences, so if your existing LHD loom is in good condition the simplest and cheapest solution would probably be to simply make up extension looms for the few circuits that are affected.

You could buy new cabling in the appropriate colours, but I would be inclined to acquire a second-hand RHD loom from TRGB, TR Bitz or someone that has replaced their old loom during a rebuild, and use the relevant sections from that.

Unless you are a competent auto electrician never mess with wiring looms as it is not worth the risk of an electrical fire . It is far easier to buy a new one and not only does it fit correctly but you havent got to worry about 40 odd years of wear and tear. It is impossible to tell without dismantling the loom to check each wire to see if it is any good. Headlamp wires especially tend to take more load than is good for them. Second hand ones arent worth the risk either.

Stuart.

All

Thanks for your comments. If I go for a new loom I would like to have it upgraded to take an alternator and also put in the provision for an electric fan. Does anyone know a supplier who can provide a loom with these modifications for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Myles

Edited by woodward

Myles

I did a post about my upgraded wiring loom 4.12.2007.If you click on my profile,click on members posts and scroll down to 4th Dec 2007.

Make out your " wish " list of everything you need now and any future upgrade ( electrical ) you might want to put on later when funds permit.

Hazards,fan overide,lighting relays, spotlights,alternator, extra fuses,etc

An electrical fire is not something I hanker after, not after years of restoration.

Bob

All

Thanks for your comments. If I go for a new loom I would like to have it upgraded to take an alternator and also put in the provision for an electric fan. Does anyone know a supplier who can provide a loom with these modifications for a reasonable price?

Thanks

Myles

Myles

Autosparks 0115 949 7211 will fit any extras that you may require into their looms. Very helpful people as well.

Stuart.