Hello.

During the last weeks, I have been completely restoring the interior of my 1959 TR3A, fabricating new panels, painting the central dash with wrinkle paint, and lately recovering the dash panel with new vinyl…. Interesting experience!

Now, I need to procure a new glove box (cubby box). I know I can get it from several dealers, but I would like to try to make one by myself.

Can you help me with this questions:

- dimensions of the glove box?

- how is the glove box attached to the dash and to the firewall?

- any pictures of helpful details?

I will highly appreciate any information and hints on this subject.

Thanks in advance.

Jesus

1959 TR3A

Valencia, Spain

Jesus

One of my colleagues will have to help you out with the dimensions because I run a TR4 but the material you need is "millboard".

Here in the UK the suppliers would be people like : -

Woolies....www.woolies-trim.co.uk

Do a word search on millboard and their website even has a picture.

Another.....East Kent Trim Supplies .....www.classiccar-trim.com

The board is relatively easy to bend into shape,clip it temporarily together, drill a few holes through both thickesses and then pop

rivet together.From the Moss catalogue you will need to attach a small bracket to the top.

If you make the cylinder part deeper by 20/25 mm you can cut a series of little tabs at the back of cubby box, then the back oval

shape can be glued for neatness, or pop rivetted again if you prefer.

The problem with millboard is that it is only supplied in large sheets....as you will see from the websites.Damage in the post/ transit

is quite a possibility.You would be able to make several glove boxes out of a single sheet.

Do you have access to a local car trimmer there in Valencia ,who could sell you an offcut ( sufficient for your needs ) rather than a

whole sheet ?

I would always recommend you practice first with some thick cardboard before cutting the actual material.Scoring the back of the millboard

with a sharp knife will help if the curve is a little tight....bend it gently to test first of all.

Bob

Thanks to Bob for the hints, to Menno for the pictures and to Simon for his kind offer.

Can still somebody look under the dash of his TR2/3/3A at how the cubby box is fixed to the dash panel lower edge? Some photo would be great!

Jesus

Thanks to Bob for the hints, to Menno for the pictures and to Simon for his kind offer.

Can still somebody look under the dash of his TR2/3/3A at how the cubby box is fixed to the dash panel lower edge? Some photo would be great!

Jesus

Jesús,

Mine is (was) attached with the small screws that you can see on the photo's (I think I've sent these too). These screws go through the lower part of the dashboard, upwards through the g/box lower edge. The screws are fixed by these small plates behind thin metal (don't know their name at this moment). Beware, use small screws! The lower edge of the box slots into the lower part of the dashboard: the lower part of the d/board is folded backwards, away from the passenger, making it possible to hide screws, thus preventing your knees hitting them.

It's the back that holds it all together and supports it g/box. I used a strip that was attached from the back of the box (screws through the back), the other end of that metal strip was attached to the bulkhead, using the bolt that holds the indicator relay. I've understood that there's no standard solution (and I've never seen a NOS or remade bracket for sale). I think.

Perhaps 'first owners'can post a pic. of the bracket in their cars. That would also help me!

Regards,

Menno

I'm used to put a few layers of black Ducktape over the protruding screw-heads and any sharp parts under the dash. My wife is not very TR minded :( and I don't take any risk to further excite her, and eventually be made responsable for damage to her knees ;)

I have fitted an additional fusebox inside the glovebox for some extra theft protection, so I remove the fuses when the car is parked in an unprotected area. This will give some thinking to potential NEW OWNERS if they wish to fire up the engine. In addition I have added an alu plate on the underside of the glovebox, plus a 120decibel alarm on the cover. :) Life is not easy these days :angry:

Thanks for the new inputs.

With your indications and photos I have been able to fabricate a cubby box, as shown in the pictures below. Now I have to line the interior with grey felt. I will perhaps paint the exterior with polyester, in order to make the cardboard waterproof.

Jesus

I can't speak for concours rules in Europe, but here in North America, judges never ask to look inside the cubby or glove box. I bought a new glove box in 1990 and only intalled it in 2005. For 15 years here, judges in US and Canadian National Concours shows here never even noticed that it was missing.

If that is the case in Europe, or if you are not planning to show your car in the judged concours competition, I don't see why you would need to "flock" the inside (velvet finish) of your glove box. I'm sure you could use the time on other items that are more important.