Steering Rack Gaitors fitting trick

Is there a trick to getting a new gaitor onto the drivers side ? I decided to replace the steering rack boots and now find it is impossible to get the new drivers side one over where it has to be secured at the "fat" end .Is there some super trick I dont know about or is it a case of removing the rack and doing the job on a bench ??? I kinda of hope this is not the case!!

Hi Alan

I found the same problem with my TR6. Apparently the gaiters are intended for the Sprite/Midget racks but have been used on TR's for some time. I couldn't get the bloody thing to fit either and neither of them looked right on the rack especially at full lock where they looked very stretched. Eventually I bought some universal ones via the internet that fitted fine. They had about twice the number of convolutions.

Can't remember where I got them but it didn't take much of a search to find them.

Hope this helps

Tony

Hi Alan

I found the same problem with my TR6. Apparently the gaiters are intended for the Sprite/Midget racks but have been used on TR's for some time. I couldn't get the bloody thing to fit either and neither of them looked right on the rack especially at full lock where they looked very stretched. Eventually I bought some universal ones via the internet that fitted fine. They had about twice the number of convolutions.

Can't remember where I got them but it didn't take much of a search to find them.

Hope this helps

Tony

I got these from TRGB and Im generally very happy with their parts. im sure these are designed to fit over snuggly but I just cant see how you get them into postition..

Alan,

Its not nice but you have to just hook a couple of fingers in under the rubber and pull luke hell to stretch them enough to get them on. I Have done it a couple of times now on different cars and the first time I thought I would split the boot but they do stretch an awfull long way.

Cheers

Alan

I got these from TRGB and Im generally very happy with their parts. im sure these are designed to fit over snuggly but I just cant see how you get them into postition..

That's where I got mine from as well and they did tell me they were not easy to fit and suggested hot water and lubricant. I have no complaints about TRGB, I even bought my car from them :D and always have excellent service on parts etc. But I still couldn't fit the bloody boots though. Too old & too arthritic I guess! :( That's why I opted for an easier to fit set.

Tony

Try this:-

- fold the end of the gaiter back on itself by about an inch

- push the gaiter up against the rack where you want it to fit

- unfold the gaiter while keeping if pushed up against the rack

This should result in getting about 1/2 an inch onto the rack so you can pull it on the rest of the way. It may not work first time but after a couple of attempts it's worked for me. Still a bl*$dy fiddly job however!

Good luck & happy new year!

Sean.

Slide inside the gaiter a couple of thin, aluminium shoe horns, coated with grease and disposed on opposite sides - these form a slide up which the gaiter can be pushed to get it over the knuckle. In fact, any thin sheet of metal would help.

I agree - it is a sod of a job!

Ian Cornish

Hi Alan,

had similar problems, found that the Moss supplied gaiters had diiferent diameter ends compared to the rack.

Having good speaks with the Moss man he came to the conclusion that MG gaiters would fit the right side but haven't got a clue about the left (nearside) gaiter - how many different steering racks are out there!!!

Roger

• 2 weeks later...