Tr7 press fleet

Guest pmorand

Guest pmorand

Hi.  I have an early UK TR7 DHC which started life with the Triumph press fleet, and I'd really like to track down which magazine(s) it featured in.

I've tried the Heritage trust who weren't able to help, and have checked out most of the 'road test reprint' books around, but haven't found my particular car - JRW 592V.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

• 4 years later...
Hi.  I have an early UK TR7 DHC which started life with the Triumph press fleet, and I'd really like to track down which magazine(s) it featured in.

I've tried the Heritage trust who weren't able to help, and have checked out most of the 'road test reprint' books around, but haven't found my particular car - JRW 592V.

Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Hi only took 4 years and 7 months but a reply is a reply.

Some years ago I did some research on the TR7 DHC press cars and found out a little about your car.

It was 1st registered in January 1980 as one of at least 22 "JRW" press cars.

It was likely that it was used at the press launch at Woburn Abbey in February 1980.

My records show it was Russet brown (one of 3 "JRW" Russet brown cars).

As far as I can tell it never appeared in a press publication but was probably driven in February 1980 by a journalist or two.

I do not know what happened to the press cars after the launch but I can say quite a few have different age related registration numbers now.

JRW 592V may have been owned by a Paul White of Chipping Ongar during the 1990's

Before it was registered in Jan 1980 it was manufactured in Canley and delivered to the press garage in October 1979.

I could take a guess at the commision and body numbers but if you let me know the commision number I will be able tell you more from the records.

Incidently the DHC press cars all have commision numbers beging "TCG". This prefix normally refers to a FHC as production DHC had numbers begining "SP" (I think?).

Hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know.

Good reply though. Would you be prepared to share some of your research with me for my column in TRaction? Or even write an article of your own. It would be interesting :P

Malcolm.

Yes some day when life slows down a little I will try and pull all the facts and figures together and get in touch via the register.

• 3 years later...

JRW 594V Maybe alive or exported - Press Road Test on E-bay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ORIGINAL-1980-ROAD-TEST-Triumph-TR7-Drophead-/310191960046?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Magazines&hash=item4838e1afee

VEHICLE ENQUIRY Services Provided By DVLA:

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for JRW 594V are:

Date of Liability 01 09 1989

Date of First Registration 02 01 1980

Year of Manufacture 1980

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1997CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Petrol

Export Marker Export

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour RED

Vehicle Type Approval

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I have recently purchased JRW599v, can u tell me anything about this car ?

Hi I saw your car for sale on ebay and can confirm it is one of the original 22 press cars mentioned in my earlier reply. (search the forum under Press Fleet if you have not read it.) I was interested to hear it was sold from the motor show stand in 1980. It was at Woburn for the press launch in February 1980 but I have never seen it in any publications or reports. I do know that a number of cars would have gone back to the press garage for maintenance or repairs if damaged, this may be why so few convertibles are featured in print.

It might worth asking the TR7 registrar to see how many 1980 convertibles he has with Vin numbers begining with "TP" as these may well be sister cars to yours. These owners may have some information regarding their cars which could apply to yours.

Not all the press cars have retained their "JRW" registrations so vin numbers and date of registration are the best clue.

Good Luck

Topoff

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the colours of the following cars, JRW583V, JRW590V and JRW 584V, the Autosport road test car.

Hi Chris

The press cars you asked about are listed with their colours below.

JRW583V WHITE

JRW590V WHITE

JRW584V RUSSET BROWN

Do you need any more information? Can you tell me any more about them or the other press cars?

I have just doubled checked my records and need to correct my previous reply.

Topoff.

Hi Topoff - I've been following this thread with a lot of interest. Do you have any information on JRW 582V in general (i.e. was this a press car at the Woburn launch) and more specifically which shade of White it should be - the Heritage trace says "Leyland White" whereas the commission plate says "Ermine White".

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Topoff - I've been following this thread with a lot of interest. Do you have any information on JRW 582V in general (i.e. was this a press car at the Woburn launch) and more specifically which shade of White it should be - the Heritage trace says "Leyland White" whereas the commission plate says "Ermine White".

Thanks

Hi this is an interesting one. The records I have show JRW 582V was one of the Woburn launch cars but its colour was Inca yellow. I am pretty sure that Inca was never an official convertable colour but it may have been on the very early cars. Of the 22 JRW cars 4 were Inca yellow and if I'm right the Vin number on your car should be 112709 and the body number (stamped on a plate somewhere on the shell probably the bulkhead) 200034.

For what ever reason many of the 22 cars have changed colour early on in life prehaps done by BL?

Please let me know if the numbers match, if they don't the Vin will help me indentify your car.

Toppoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob

It's good that another press car has turned up. I first heard of your car when it was owned by Mike Hanley who lived in Easleigh. He bought the car in August 93. Later it was owned by Nigel Dales from Poole. He claimed to have re-sprayed the car to its original Leyland White. I'm not sure what colour it was before, a different shade of white?

The original spec. was tan interior with alloy wheels.

It was made in June 1979 and was released to the press garage at BL, for the launch in Woburn, this happened in February 1980(one of 22 cars).

Of the 22 cars 5 were white.

I do not know of any pulications that featured you car but it would have been at the launch and probably went on the 72 mile road test, planned by BL to go from Woburn Abbey to Woburn Abbey via Culington, Whitchurch, Charndon, Steeple Claydon, Padbury, Winslow,Stewkley, Great Brickhill and Little Brickhill (this sounds more like BR than BL).

From then to August 1993 is anybody's guess. An enquiry to DVLA for all previous owners may help you find out more.

Good luck and keep in touch.

Topoff.

Quote 'Apply to request information from DVLA vehicle records (V888)Use the V888 form to apply for information from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) vehicle records.

Overview

If you want to find out information about a vehicle and its owner, you can apply to request this information from the DVLA. However, information will only be released if you are entitled to receive it, for example if you can show 'reasonable cause' to require it.

How to use this service

Download the form from the link below and fill it in. The form includes useful guidance notes and information including where to send the form.

To access the form you will need a copy of Adobe Reader. Information on how to download this for free is available on the right panel of this page.

Download 'Request for information (V888) - members of the public' (PDF, 193K) 'Unquote

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_10016794

£5.00p gets you a copy of the First Registration Doc - copies of all Owner transfers ( photocopy of V5's ) & any other copies of docs such as no. plate change.

You can trace all previous owners this way.

Edited by Neil_W
  • 1 month later...

Topoff, thanks for the information, I was trying to put together a list of the cars, colours etc for a short article Im preparing.

Hi, as mentioned before I have JRW 599V, it is inca yellow and I have just had it resprayed again in inca yellow, it was the original colour because the paint code was FAB. I bought a classic car book a couple of months ago and featured in the TR7 section was picture of JRW 600V, it is a metallic blue, if u want I could scan a picture for u, let me know, mabye u already know of this car ! Geeso1v

Hi geeso1v

Your car, JRW 599V was, as you said, originaly Inca Yellow and was recently on ebay (where you bought it from I guess) and was the 1980 Motor Show car.

I do not have any pictures of your car but I do have a copy of the V5 and can confirm the Vin No. Reg No. and colour when cross referenced with the factory records.

I have copies of many of the press photos of JRW 600V as this was deemed to be the favourite colour although only 2 Persion Aqua cars were used for the press launch.

It would be good to find out more about 600V I hope it still exists.

Topoff

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Mike, this TR7, JRW 599V is Inca yellow and was the 1980 motor show car.

Sold on ebay last year it was on it's way to Scotland.

It was one of the 22 press convertables, 4 of which were yellow.

I do not have any pictures or pulications that refer to it but as it was at the motor show there must be lots of pictures somewhere.

Geezo1v has left more info earlier on in this thread, if you havn't already seen it.

Regards

Topoff

Hello Topoff

Thanks for replying. I'd read the info on the previous page and was a bit confused because Geez01v was in Scotland and the car is for sale in Devon.

It looks like a very nice example though. However, since my previous posting, I been fortunate enough to purchase a gold coloured FHC, (preferred a FHC to DHC really).

Best Regards

Mike.