I was wondering if anyone has ever done a power steering swap into their TR4? If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be awesome. My TR4A has a Ford 302 swap, so the pump should be easy to get and I have enough room for it under the hood. I'm more curious if there's a power steering box that could easily swapped in? Here's some pics of the car just because I can. This winter I'm cleaning up the engine bay since it's a little messy and that's all thats really left to do to the car.

Cheers.

P1000486.jpg

P1000487.jpg

P1000481.jpg

Hi Matt,

I think I see the problem - your HT coil is in the wrong place and somebody has put a blackberry cheese cake on top of the engine.

Seriously though what have you got going on in the engine, it looks most interesting !!!!

Roger

Just one question, please. Why????? :blink:

Why not, Power, reliability and parts are easily found locally. Not to mention the look on people's faces when I pop the hood or rev it at a stoplight.

I agree entirely. Whilst I wouldn't personally do this to any TR2-5 (6s are fair game as there are plenty of them still around and cheap), I enjoy seeing (and hearing :)) cars with interesting transplants - especially when the car looks standard from the outside as yours does.

Presumably, the conversion is reversible if a future owner really wanted it? It would be nice to read an article on the conversion in TRaction, or watch and listen to a video clip on YouTube.

Surely this modern engine, even though of greater capacity, is unlikely to be heavier than the TR's iron and steel lump? In which case, why fit power steering and lose the feel which the original set-up provides. Even though I am small (less than 5' 6" and less than 10 stone [< 140 lbs in dollars]) and an Old Fart, I have never considered the TR4's steering to be heavy other than when parking. I watch with horror when people wind the steering from lock to lock whilst stationary on their two ton (and more) monsters - they have no idea what they are doing to their vehicles, but very upsetting to an Engineer like me!

Ian Cornish

Being younger, I'm just accustomed to the feel of Power steering over the manual box. The car already has an upgraded brake booster and having the steering would be nice. The swap was not done by me, but it looks likie it could easily be switched back to stock, but I believe there were heavy modifications to the brake system, steering linkage and engine mounts. The inner fender wells were left in tact.

Being younger, I'm just accustomed to the feel of Power steering over the manual box...

Try driving a sidescreen car with the original worm-and-peg steering box, then drive the TR4A. I guarantee it will feel as if you have power steering!

I was surprised recently at how much difference there is between them when I drove Lynda's TR4A after several hundred miles in my TR3A.

Having said that, neither of them are seriously heavy, even for a geriatric with a heart condition :P

• 2 weeks later...