new member here !!!!!!!!!

hi

recently joined the register and in process of buying a tr7 with a sprint engine!

my first adventure into owning an older more mature car.

i just wondered what advice anyone may have for a novice!

thanks

Welcome, buy a workshop manual and parts book. Then give the TR a 12k service.

I would also drain the antifreeze out and flush the cooling system. Then fit a new thermostat and refill the cooling system. Refill with a good quality antifreeze with a corrosion inhibitor and distilled water.

Just my thoughts.

I would also drain the antifreeze out and flush the cooling system. Then fit a new thermostat and refill the cooling system. Refill with a good quality antifreeze with a corrosion inhibitor and distilled water.

While you are at it, and bearing in mind the recent article in TRaction and discussions on the other forums, I would suggest changing all the hoses, including the heater hoses inside the car. No matter how new they look, or if the history indicates they have been replaced in recent years, they can be badly deteriorated internally and give way at any time, with disastrous consequences.

(Use Kevlar or silicone hoses if you can get them).

Edited by BrianC
  • 4 weeks later...

Make sure you check all the places for corrosion. Particularly behind the seats under the carpet. If there is serious rot at the back it is a pain in the preverbial to repair. Get under the beast and really have a look. Just cos it is shiny does not mean it's any good ! Check the windsceen pillars at the top of the door again dreadful to repair.

Usual old car cr*p check the dipstick no signs of water ?

Never be afraid to ask - Malcolm Paris is great so is Alec and Tom Pringle - both have had several TR7's and 8's.