electrical terminal cleaner

Does anyone know where I can buy the chemical cleaner that will bring some of the dirty contacts in my wiring back to life? I understand that you need one which is kind to Bakelite and plastics. Do computer technicians use any suitable products?

Thank you Richardtr3a

• 3 weeks later...

The light switch has been in Coca Cola for 3 weeks and is not showing any signs of improvement. There is some culture growing on the surface. My son remembers a project at school when the tooth suspended in Coca Cola finally dissolved completely. I will give the switch another few weeks before buying some contact cleqaner. I like an on going experiment in a corner of the kitchen.

the cola/tooth bit is a furphy, soft drinks will be carbonic acid anyway. If you want phosphoric acid why not use your rust converter which is more concentrated, even though phosphoric is a 'weak' acid. If you have a look in the 'dental' part of the chemist shop and find some interdental brushes called Pixters, the largest size is good for brushing inside the tube part of the connectors using the acid. I think the large Pixter has a black coded handle.

After I got the compressor and the glass bead cabinet I cleaned all my corroded electrical connectors in the blasting cabinet rather than as above.

As BrianC said, use a switch cleaner, your local 'independant' T/V repair shop will probably sell you a can. I was in the trade for years and they work well, never had any problems with bakelite etc. when using them.

Nigel (with TS952).

I also remember the coke & tooth experiment :blink:

Edited by Nigel Lay