Camshaft choices.

Just surfing to try and find the ideal camshaft for my 6, found this comparison chart.

Lots of information, maybe helpfull? Who knows!

Cams.

Rob.

Useful site Rob well spotted.

Stuart.

Looking at Moss's choices, fast road 83 and fast road 89 are looking tempting, specs below-any experience with either?

SPECS BELOW FOR BOTH 83 FIRST (TT10405N)

Very good all round cam for fast road and traffic conditions.

Inlet Timing: 36-74

Exhaust Timing: 58-34

Duration: 290 degrees

Lift: 0.293"

Installation Figure: 106 degrees

Inlet Clearance: 0.014"

Exhaust Clearance: 0.014"

Power Band: 2750-6250

Fast road 89 below.TT12041N

Very good cam with more lift than F/R 83 better mid range and top end power.

Inlet Timing: 37-63

Exhaust Timing: 74-28

Duration: 280 degrees

Lift: 0.288"

Installation Figure: 103 degrees

Inlet Clearance: 0.022"

Exhaust Clearance: 0.024"

Power Band: 2500-6000

Edited by robgeev

Guys

Use the link that Rob put on and then back off the last part of the URL. The main site has got some usefull info. I quite like the Gear Speed Calculator.

Regards

Tim

Anyone know what the abbreviations ECA & ICA stand for?

There's another page with the definitions here:

ICA Inlet Centerline Angle - angle at which the inlet lobe is at full lift - forwards from TDC.

ECA Exhaust Centerline Angle - angle at which the exhaust lobe is at full lift - backwards from TDC.

LCA Lobe Center Angle - angle between LCA and ICA.

Incidentally, I assume the timings are all valve at seat - any thoughts? I do know that some cam grinders prefer to quote ate 0.050" lift, on the basis that this gives a better idea of the working profile (something about the ramp shape distorting seat values).

Cheers,

John

There's another page with the definitions here:

ICA Inlet Centerline Angle - angle at which the inlet lobe is at full lift - forwards from TDC.

ECA Exhaust Centerline Angle - angle at which the exhaust lobe is at full lift - backwards from TDC.

LCA Lobe Center Angle - angle between LCA and ICA.

Incidentally, I assume the timings are all valve at seat - any thoughts? I do know that some cam grinders prefer to quote ate 0.050" lift, on the basis that this gives a better idea of the working profile (something about the ramp shape distorting seat values).

Cheers,

John

Thanks John.

I'm pretty sure that the lifts quoted are valve measurments rather then cam lobe.

Decided to stick with the Triumph Tune fast road cam from Moss, this is the one that was fitted previously, and was nice to drive, very definite "power band" coming in at about 3000 rpm, don't want to risk low end tractability for the sake of a couple of 6000rpm bhp, as in reality most people will be driving sensibly most of the time!

Rob.