My TR3A has just failed its MOT due to excessive wear in the rocker shaft bush and, on closer inspection, I fully understand why! I have started to remove the steering assembly to see what else is worn and everything is ready to go except that I can't split the rocker shaft from the drop arm. The manual refers to use of a "suitable lever" and clearly my usual selection of levers, bars old screwdrivers etc don't fit the bill, and I can't get a ball joint splitter in anywhere near. Any suggestions on how to split them gratefully received.

The nice chap at Revigtons told me that if the car has been used a lot with a worn rocker shaft bush (which it has) it is also likely to have damaged the rocker shaft and the worm. In case the worst comes to the worst, and as shafts are not currently available, does anyone have a steering assembly for sale that might need less work than mine?

Dave

Dave, Have a look at the enclosed site for steering box restoration: http://www.macysgarage.com/myweb6/steering_box.htm

You will see that levers etc are not recommended due to the possible damage they can cause and a puller should be used.

I am however in exactly the same position as you as I have tried a puller on the arm but it won't budge. I have also tried a puller and used oxy-acet to heat it up but it still won't budge. As you will know the arm is splined and tappered. I have sought advice from some local agricultural repairers and they have suggested heating it up again with oxy and then quenching it in cold water and then use a puller. They believe this should achieve separation. Obviously a soak with Plusgas for a couple of days before hand would do no harm. I have 2 full length steering columns for my TR2 restoration and I am having the same problem with both, so in view of your experience it seems it is not uncommon. I have not yet had chance to try the above suggested solution having been away on business for a couple of weeks.

If you hear of any other successful methods I would be pleased to hear.

Regards

Trevor.

Trevor,

Thanks for the link to the very useful photo manual. I was obviously half asleep because what I meant to say was that I couldn't separate the drop arm from the centre tierod. I have now managed this but not without damaging the fulcrum pin which I will have to replace. Any tips on how to get it out?

I will save trying to split the droparm from the rocker shaft for tomorrow! You are quite right to point out that this shouldn't be attempted with brute force.

Dave

Well, finally got the thing to pieces to find that the ball races are pitted, the pin that engages with the worm is damaged, the rocker shaft is badly scoured and the worm itself is damaged.

I suspect that when the car was converted to to RHD they used a box that had been sitting in a scrap yard full of water. Fits with the rest of the work carrried out by a supposedly competent , then well known memeber of the register in the early 90's!

Have posted a request to see anyone has anything for sale in better condition that I could re-build in preference to mine.

D

My TR3A has just failed its MOT due to excessive wear in the rocker shaft bush and, on closer inspection, I fully understand why! I have started to remove the steering assembly to see what else is worn and everything is ready to go except that I can't split the rocker shaft from the drop arm. The manual refers to use of a "suitable lever" and clearly my usual selection of levers, bars old screwdrivers etc don't fit the bill, and I can't get a ball joint splitter in anywhere near. Any suggestions on how to split them gratefully received.

The nice chap at Revigtons told me that if the car has been used a lot with a worn rocker shaft bush (which it has) it is also likely to have damaged the rocker shaft and the worm. In case the worst comes to the worst, and as shafts are not currently available, does anyone have a steering assembly for sale that might need less work than mine?

Dave

Many thanks for the offers of help. I have bought a second hand assembly which, in combination with mine and the usual new parts should yield a good result. My main problem at the moment is that I cannot get hold of new bearings in time to get it all back together in time for the MOT on Saturday. Does anyone have a set that I can buy and/or replace later?

Apologies for effectively repeating a post here and in "for sale/wanted", but thought I might get a slightly wider audience.

Dave

Having spoken to Revingtons again, it seems that the steering box bearings are on back back order and may not be available for some time. I have therefore found a supplier of 1/4" ball bearings and will try fitting them in the original cages.

As an aside "simply bearings" website seems to be a good source for bearings oil seals etc.

Once again, thanks for all offers of assistance.

Dave

Dave

If you are still having problems, I have just converted to a Revingtons Rack and Pinion and my old worm and peg is now available!

Was pretty tight (for a worm and peg) and had just passed an MOT without problem.

Unc :blink: