TR-4A Tire Size

Welcome to the forum Zoom1a. 205 section tyres are too wide for 5 1/2j rims (standard are 4 1/2 I think but not sure); correct size is 185 maximum but many fit 195 section as these are a common fitment to modern cars & so are cheap. This topic comes up very regularly (yesterday was the latest), use the search button to read the archive posts in the general & 6 forum also.

Hi, I have recently replaced a pair of 185x70 Vredesteins with 165 Firestones prompted by the doubling in cost of the 185s.

This is on standard size wires, and surprise surprise, after a 1200 mile trip to Brittany and back I prefer the 165s, for roadholding, control and the way they ride over ridges without being deflected like the 185s were.

So maybe Triumph had it right in the first place.

One point if you do go for the extra wide option I suggest you check the state of the chassis especially around the front lower wishbone mounts, these have a habit of ripping off under high loads.

Best Regards Chris

Hi, I have recently replaced a pair of 185x70 Vredesteins with 165 Firestones prompted by the doubling in cost of the 185s.

This is on standard size wires, and surprise surprise, after a 1200 mile trip to Brittany and back I prefer the 165s, for roadholding, control and the way they ride over ridges without being deflected like the 185s were.

So maybe Triumph had it right in the first place.

One point if you do go for the extra wide option I suggest you check the state of the chassis especially around the front lower wishbone mounts, these have a habit of ripping off under high loads.

Best Regards Chris

Everyone likes big fat tyres these days but fitting tyres with too wide a section for the rims will not give better ride or handling & is something I constantly seem to be rambling on about on the forum so it’s nice to get a post from someone who’s actually proved it to themselves!

Edited by Richard Crawley

I run 165 Michelin XAS and find that they are very good for roadholding, the only thing I have found is careful setting up of tyre pressures is required as too low gives tyre squeal and a slightly mushy ride and too high makes the car skittish on pronounced bumps.Although I do have quite hard shock settings and a live axle.

Stuart

Stuart...

pray tell these magical tyre pressures... :mellow:

your eager student

Ade

Ade I currently run 24 front and 26 rear on the Michelins after much experimentation, however I believe that that only works on the suspension setup on this car which is standard front springs with poly bushes and the spax at 8 clicks and the rear as its a live axle, has standard deep dish springs and ally spacer blocks with 4 extra spring clamps each side and uprated lever arms. Works for me but I am thinking of lowering the rear by 6mm as the standard repro springs dont have the extra distance piece that the originals had.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Cheers Stuart,

not far off those myself (25 front, 28 rear). Sport springs and Spax on the front (approx 6-clicks on) and standard rear springs with twin-valve lever arms ;)

I can still convince myself that there is more tweaking possible though!

thanks again

ade

Ade I currently run 24 front and 26 rear on the Michelins after much experimentation, however I believe that that only works on the suspension setup on this car which is standard front springs with poly bushes and the spax at 8 clicks and the rear as its a live axle, has standard deep dish springs and ally spacer blocks with 4 extra spring clamps each side and uprated lever arms. Works for me but I am thinking of lowering the rear by 6mm as the standard repro springs dont have the extra distance piece that the originals had.

Stuart

Stuart

Me too, spot on pressure wise, I'm on Colway Road Sport 185's, after some trial & error now run 24psi front and 26 rear.

Front has sports springs with standard ride height and uprated rear springs and Polly bushes all round. :rolleyes:

Manvers had the car on 185 when I got it and I've always been happy with the ride ;)

Interesting comment on the 165's though, dozens of members can't be wrong, maybe worth a try. :huh: