Hi All again,

What are peoples thoughts on an oil cooler on a TR4A (modified with stage 2/3 head, freeflow manifold/exhaust, road cam, 87mm pistons).

Have most owners fitted them or left well alone?

What is the best setup if needed & what is the general fitting location?

What would I need?

Oil pressure seems to be in line with everybodys thoughts & drops a little when hot.

Regards,

Monty.

Hi Monty,

Depends on the climate I suppose. I live in the North-west UK & My TR4 is the same spec as yours and is fine without; but then I don't rally it but it does get driven hard when properly warmed up. Yes oil pressure drops slightly when warm, usually after a long motorway run; but it picks up immediately with revs back to normal operating levels.

I had an oil cooler fitted; it did make a difference but turned out to be just more places for oil to leak from, so I removed it in the end to no detrimental running effects.

So, I would say: Rally/ Race/ Trackdays a definite "yes". Fast road/ normal use; save your money and buy decent oil instead.

When it was fitted, I mounted it off the front of the lower rad shield on 2 angled brackets. I've seen them on the RHS of the water rad before, but I think this only adds to under bonnet temp and robs the carbs of a cool air flow.

Cheers

Adey

Hi All again,

What are peoples thoughts on an oil cooler on a TR4A (modified with stage 2/3 head, freeflow manifold/exhaust, road cam, 87mm pistons).

Have most owners fitted them or left well alone?

What is the best setup if needed & what is the general fitting location?

What would I need?

Oil pressure seems to be in line with everybodys thoughts & drops a little when hot.

Regards,

Monty.

Hi Monty

Have to agree with Adey. Mine is a fast road, does the odd track day (three this year) just blated down to DiJon with hot motorway blast, no problem, Oil sits at 70psi. I was told that only race and rally cars needed it and then only if really hot and working at 5000rpm <_<

Fast road is fine without. Better to keep the under bonnet area cool for the carbs...............change the oil every 3000miles and buy the good stuff! :lol:

Hi Monty

Have to agree with Adey. Mine is a fast road, does the odd track day (three this year) just blated down to DiJon with hot motorway blast, no problem, Oil sits at 70psi. I was told that only race and rally cars needed it and then only if really hot and working at 5000rpm <_<

Fast road is fine without. Better to keep the under bonnet area cool for the carbs...............change the oil every 3000miles and buy the good stuff! :lol:

Thanks Ade & Mike,

Your comments pretty are well spot-on with my thoughts! I am using Castrol Classic 20/50 which will be changed every year/3000 miles so that should be ok. My oil pressure readings are close to yours so feel happy about that!

Regards,

Monty.

Hi

I don't think there are any poor oils out there if you're sensible about your choice ie: Penrites, millers, castrol, valvoline etc.

20/50 mineral (or 20/60 "sports" from penrites) are all good, many advocate semi or even fully synths but I think on a fresh re-build you need to allow for some wear initially to get the engine to bed-in properly.

Halfords classic 20/50 has seal swelling agents that help reduce leaks too.

I ran-up my rebuild engine with some cheaper 20/50 until warm, then dropped the oil and filter immediately to try and get rid of the bulk of the rubbish after the rebuild then re-filled with somne decent stuff. I also use a couple of oil filter magnets on the bowl which help pull out metally bits too - belt and braces!!!

Cheers

Adey

Hi

Agreed on the oil cooler ...... in fact you need to keep a weather eye out for oil running too cold with a cooler on a road car; Even on a rally car if youre doing short tests and then long gentle regularities.

I wouldnt use one unless youre going to be running some real temperature.

Regards

Tony

Hi

Agreed on the oil cooler ...... in fact you need to keep a weather eye out for oil running too cold with a cooler on a road car; Even on a rally car if youre doing short tests and then long gentle regularities.

I wouldnt use one unless youre going to be running some real temperature.

Regards

Tony

Thanks for that Tony.

Regards,

Monty.