Scuttle vent glued shut

Hi all,

Thanks again for everyone's help with my electrical gremlins. The TR6 had to make a last-minute dash to France and back on Friday night and ran like a dream. Saw a lovely red '70s TVR 3000 on the Ferry, not as loud as the TR though and not brave enough to tackle the rain hood down!

I've got several jobs to tackle this coming weekend. Need to replace the base of the passenger side mirror as the thread is knackered and the mirror needs replacing and the bad earth affecting the rear lights needs hunting down and sorting out.

I'm puzzled as to why the scuttle vent (full lid on '71 PI model) on the car has been glued down. I've tried half-heartedly to prise it open but am scared of damaging the paintwork. Could there be a good reason for it to remain closed or should I just have another go at opening it this weekend? The cable seems to be broken somewhere between the dash and the vent, I'm sure it's going to be a bugger to sort out...

Thanks!

Eli

Hi all,

Thanks again for everyone's help with my electrical gremlins. The TR6 had to make a last-minute dash to France and back on Friday night and ran like a dream. Saw a lovely red '70s TVR 3000 on the Ferry, not as loud as the TR though and not brave enough to tackle the rain hood down!

I've got several jobs to tackle this coming weekend. Need to replace the base of the passenger side mirror as the thread is knackered and the mirror needs replacing and the bad earth affecting the rear lights needs hunting down and sorting out.

I'm puzzled as to why the scuttle vent (full lid on '71 PI model) on the car has been glued down. I've tried half-heartedly to prise it open but am scared of damaging the paintwork. Could there be a good reason for it to remain closed or should I just have another go at opening it this weekend? The cable seems to be broken somewhere between the dash and the vent, I'm sure it's going to be a bugger to sort out...

Thanks!

Eli

not sure this helps but on my CP series its a metal rod not a cable. Mine prises open from the outside readily but perhaps yours has been secured to stop water/debri getting into scuttle. It depends how much you want to open it. Given it should have a rubber seal around flap you should be able to open it and damage the rubber seal not the paint then replavce seal , ps they are £14 so not cheap and not easy to replace , fiddly, hope this helps

not sure this helps but on my CP series its a metal rod not a cable. Mine prises open from the outside readily but perhaps yours has been secured to stop water/debri getting into scuttle. It depends how much you want to open it. Given it should have a rubber seal around flap you should be able to open it and damage the rubber seal not the paint then replavce seal , ps they are £14 so not cheap and not easy to replace , fiddly, hope this helps

I'll give it a go, thanks! It's properly glued shut, you can see the glue under the lip. It's not an urgent job at all and I managed fine last winter without it. It did get a bit nippy driving at night though!

Eli

Eli you may be opening a can of worms here so to speak as the reason it has been glued shut is more than likely that the plenum has rotted out on the bottom outer corners and it has been fixed down to stop water getting in.

Stuart.

Yes Robin, I can understand your problem, in damp weather you will almost have 0 ventilation as long as the lid is closed, even with the blower on. If you try to open it don't use any force if so it's bound to separate or bent on the hinged bracket, rather bristle part :( Once overstreched it will always stay open at the leading edge unless you seperate it and weld it again ;)

Hi Eli,

Not knowing what sort of glue was employed, you might try an all-purpose adhesive cleaner ( 3M make it here in the 'states ) to soften whatever was used. It succeeded in loosening the mirror in a Wingard assembly, so has a good chance against your glue too. It won't damage the paint, either ;)

As for a rotted plenum, the operator can always elect to close the vent when it rains <_<