Having heard rumours regarding overheating problems on the TR3A, I note that Moss sell a ducting kit for less than £10, I was planning to make my own ducting using 2 sheets of alloy to

guide the air to the radiator, before I do does the Moss ducting work, has anyone previous experience?

regards

Peter

Hi Peter

Yes it does work and is essential to the cool running of 3As. That said, over time it will distort and disintegrate if you use your 3A regularly in the rain, but should last a number of years and worth buying, especially at under tenner!

Cheers

Andrew

Peter,

Imho I think that a duct is a 'must' on a TR3A. It channels the air stream towards the radiator, making full use of the radiators' cooling effect. Without the duct, a lot of air does not reach the radiator, it just passes by. So, the cooling effect of the air flowing through the radiator core is mineralised.

I bought a Moss' duct for my 3A and I'm not impressed by the quality of the product. It's some sort of cardboard. Driving in the wet will have serious effect on the cardboard. Before fitting the cardboard duct, I measured it carefully and made a drawing 1:1 scale. I also painted the cardboard duct with black paint and sealed the paint with a 1 component epoxy finish, as used in the yacht industry. Just to add some extra protection against water.

At the moment, I'm restoring my TR and I will make myself a alu duct, using the drawing.

Menno

Hi Peter

Yes it does work and is essential to the cool running of 3As. That said, over time it will distort and disintegrate if you use your 3A regularly in the rain, but should last a number of years and worth buying, especially at under tenner!

Cheers

Andrew

Thanks for your reply Andrew, regards Peter

Peter,

Imho I think that a duct is a 'must' on a TR3A. It channels the air stream towards the radiator, making full use of the radiators' cooling effect. Without the duct, a lot of air does not reach the radiator, it just passes by. So, the cooling effect of the air flowing through the radiator core is mineralised.

I bought a Moss' duct for my 3A and I'm not impressed by the quality of the product. It's some sort of cardboard. Driving in the wet will have serious effect on the cardboard. Before fitting the cardboard duct, I measured it carefully and made a drawing 1:1 scale. I also painted the cardboard duct with black paint and sealed the paint with a 1 component epoxy finish, as used in the yacht industry. Just to add some extra protection against water.

At the moment, I'm restoring my TR and I will make myself a alu duct, using the drawing.

Menno

Menno thanks for your reply I will buy the duct and make a copy in alloy as you seem to have done.

regards

Peter

If you are into originality, it should be painted body colour.

By the way, my TR3A was built without one of these air deflectors. When S-T introduced the TR3A, it was in the autumn of 1957 and it wasn't until the next spring of 1958 that overheating problems were reported back to S-T. My TR3A (TS 27489 LO) is an early car built on Feb 14th, 1958. So they came up with this cheap cardboard device to fix the problem. Dealers installed them free of charge if a TR3A owner complained. The earlier TR2s and TR3s didn't have this problem because of the sheetmetal ducting that is part of the design of the smallmouth openings on the front valance.

It is useful to have the ducting and I agree with all earlier posts. I managed to fix a vertical lightweight right angle channel to either side of my new radiator with some pop rivets. I made up some templates and cut the aluminium sheet to size with a strip across the front of the header tank, which holds the sides firm. The ducting is riveted to the angle channel and works very well. I also fixed the electric Kenlowe fan to the spider like mountings that came with it and they are also riveted to the angle. So no more fixings through the core. The original fan and wide belt are inside the radiator as normal. The best improvement in cooling so far was the new up rated radiator. I felt that the radiator was still quite new until my friend pointed out that it was low mileage but my rebuild was completed in 1986 and 20 years is a very old radiator.

Good luck Richard tr3a

If you are into originality, it should be painted body colour.

By the way, my TR3A was built without one of these air deflectors. When S-T introduced the TR3A, it was in the autumn of 1957 and it wasn't until the next spring of 1958 that overheating problems were reported back to S-T. My TR3A (TS 27489 LO) is an early car built on Feb 14th, 1958. So they came up with this cheap cardboard device to fix the problem. Dealers installed them free of charge if a TR3A owner complained. The earlier TR2s and TR3s didn't have this problem because of the sheetmetal ducting that is part of the design of the smallmouth openings on the front valance.

Hello Don

thank you for your help on the forum, Don have you recieved the e mails I have tried to send to you regarding the history of my TR3A, my E mail address is

peter.fenlon@manitowoc.com

regards

Peter

While you are thinking about ducting, what about the part of the radiator below the bumper line that is shielded by the lower front valance.

Following a tip from Australia, I made up a small duct from galvanised metal sheet to duct air into the lower part of the radiator. It just needs to project down to lower chassis level.

See picture (I hope).

All pretty simple and held on with a couple of pipe clamps.

Certainly helps recovery from potential overheating situations and must push more air through the rad when moving.

post-4445-1182980947_thumb.jpg

te name='pfenlon' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:34 PM' post='69179']

Having heard rumours regarding overheating problems on the TR3A, I note that Moss sell a ducting kit for less than £10, I was planning to make my own ducting using 2 sheets of alloy to

guide the air to the radiator, before I do does the Moss ducting work, has anyone previous experience?

regards

Peter

Edited by Cleo's Dad
While you are thinking about ducting, what about the part of the radiator below the bumper line that is shielded by the lower front valance.

Following a tip from Australia, I made up a small duct from galvanised metal sheet to duct air into the lower part of the radiator. It just needs to project down to lower chassis level.

See picture (I hope).

All pretty simple and held on with a couple of pipe clamps.

Certainly helps recovery from potential overheating situations and must push more air through the rad when moving.

te name='pfenlon' date='Jun 25 2007, 05:34 PM' post='69179']

regards

Peter

Thanks Cleo's Dad

that is a neat little mod which I will copy

regards

Peter

At the Triumph Show at Stoneleigh in February this year, I saw on a stand some ducting in a decent grade of plastic (i.e. wouldn't disintegrate in wet conditions), in metal and - would you believe - in chromed metal! I don't have a catalogue for the event (I'm not sure one is produced), but you could try Google for the organisers or for the ducting itself.

Have you tried any other suppliers who might have ducting in a different material e.g. Revington, Racetorations?

Ian Cornish

On the TR4/4A area, I have just seen this address

richard.heap7@btinternet.com

as someone supplying steel inlet ducting for 4/4A - could well be the fellow whose stand I saw I saw at Stoneleigh, so may cover 3As as well.

Ian

On the TR4/4A area, I have just seen this address

richard.heap7@btinternet.com

as someone supplying steel inlet ducting for 4/4A - could well be the fellow whose stand I saw I saw at Stoneleigh, so may cover 3As as well.

Ian

Hello Ian,

I bought the cardboard duct from Moss, and will make an alloy replica

thanks for the input plastic would be better.

regards

Peter