Electrics have gone!

Hi all,

More woe with the TR6. Hadn't used the car for 10 days and thought I'd go for a short nocturnal drive last night.

Turned the key, ignition and oil pressure lights lit up for a split second and then it all went dead. Tried again and nothing happened, no lights, no noise, nothing. Had a quick look at the fusebox this morning before leaving for work. Had a blown 30A fuse (3rd or 4th one down), anyone know where I can find a replacement at short notice in Central London? I'm not far from all the gizmo shops of Tottenham Court Road.

Also, shouldn't all the fuses be 35amp?

I've been meaning to take a closer look at the electrics since getting the Kenlowe fitted 2 weeks ago and the TR passing its MOT even though the rear lights don't work (brake lights and headlights are fine)!

Cheers!

Eli

Hi all,

More woe with the TR6. Hadn't used the car for 10 days and thought I'd go for a short nocturnal drive last night.

Turned the key, ignition and oil pressure lights lit up for a split second and then it all went dead. Tried again and nothing happened, no lights, no noise, nothing. Had a quick look at the fusebox this morning before leaving for work. Had a blown 30A fuse (3rd or 4th one down), anyone know where I can find a replacement at short notice in Central London? I'm not far from all the gizmo shops of Tottenham Court Road.

Also, shouldn't all the fuses be 35amp?

I've been meaning to take a closer look at the electrics since getting the Kenlowe fitted 2 weeks ago and the TR passing its MOT even though the rear lights don't work (brake lights and headlights are fine)!

Cheers!

Eli

Hi Eli,

You are correct all four should be 35 amp.

Just done a search, Maplins Electronics Store seems to be in Tottenham Court Road

See this... http://www.maplin.co.uk/Stores.aspx?QueryZ...&DOY=search

Hope this helps.

Guy

Cheers guys. Managed to cram most electronics stores on Tot Crt rd and Goodge St into my lunch break but no luck. Gerry at Enginuity said he'll bung some in the post tomorrow.

I've just played around with the remaining fuses, swapping their positions and still not even a flicker of life.

Please forgive my amateur knowledge of TR6s and all things electrical, but what else could be causing this? It had a kenlowe and an extra relay fitted professionally 2 weeks ago, could this be linked?

Any ideas for a cheap and speedy fix? Replace all fuses and relays? I can't afford to have anything more done to the car at the garage, recent costs have meant giving up cigarettes (timely, I know) and beer (what I'm most fond of after my car)!

Thanks!

Cheers guys. Managed to cram most electronics stores on Tot Crt rd and Goodge St into my lunch break but no luck. Gerry at Enginuity said he'll bung some in the post tomorrow.

I've just played around with the remaining fuses, swapping their positions and still not even a flicker of life.

Please forgive my amateur knowledge of TR6s and all things electrical, but what else could be causing this? It had a kenlowe and an extra relay fitted professionally 2 weeks ago, could this be linked?

Any ideas for a cheap and speedy fix? Replace all fuses and relays? I can't afford to have anything more done to the car at the garage, recent costs have meant giving up cigarettes (timely, I know) and beer (what I'm most fond of after my car)!

Thanks!

It sounds like you have an overload or an outright short on one of the circuits. There are only three circuits and they have a lot of stuff on them so the trick is to first identify which circuit is blowing the fuse and then isolate the specific sub circuit that is doing it to narrow down the faulty wire, switch or component. Looking back at recent history is a good plan so that new fan installation is a good candidate. You shoudl be able to disconnect it from the system to verify if it is playing a role.

If you dont have one already you need a circuit diagram for your year. There are some on the net but I think they are all US spec which are similar but not identical to the UK cars. The usual manuals will probably be a better source.

If you are totally lost then come back here with info about which fuse is blowing (what color wires are connected to that fuse ?) and where did the installer connect the fan circuit ?

If the system is really dead even with a new fuse that is not good as it may mean something else got burned out (wire/switch) before the fuse triggered. It could also just be a bad connection at the fuse box (fuse and/or wire).

When you say no flicker of life do you mean nothing works (lights, horn, starter, heater, wipers etc), ie it is as if the battery is disconnected ?

Stan

It sounds like you have an overload or an outright short on one of the circuits. There are only three circuits and they have a lot of stuff on them so the trick is to first identify which circuit is blowing the fuse and then isolate the specific sub circuit that is doing it to narrow down the faulty wire, switch or component. Looking back at recent history is a good plan so that new fan installation is a good candidate. You shoudl be able to disconnect it from the system to verify if it is playing a role.

If you dont have one already you need a circuit diagram for your year. There are some on the net but I think they are all US spec which are similar but not identical to the UK cars. The usual manuals will probably be a better source.

If you are totally lost then come back here with info about which fuse is blowing (what color wires are connected to that fuse ?) and where did the installer connect the fan circuit ?

If the system is really dead even with a new fuse that is not good as it may mean something else got burned out (wire/switch) before the fuse triggered. It could also just be a bad connection at the fuse box (fuse and/or wire).

When you say no flicker of life do you mean nothing works (lights, horn, starter, heater, wipers etc), ie it is as if the battery is disconnected ?

Stan

Cheers Stan!

Nothing works as if there is was no battery connected. Last used the car 10days ago and it was running fine. It definitely seemed like a short rather than a case of there being no power: ignition and oil indicators did light up brightly for a split second.

I'm going to give the battery a once over now the rain has subsided. Ignition switch is another prime suspect.

Eli

Edited by EliTR6
Cheers Stan!

Nothing works as if there is was no battery connected. Last used the car 10days ago and it was running fine. It definitely seemed like a short rather than a case of there being no power: ignition and oil indicators did light up brightly for a split second.

I'm going to give the battery a once over now the rain has subsided. Ignition switch is another prime suspect.

Eli

Hi Eli

Had a similar problem with the 4, but only on one circuit. It was the fuse box itself. May be worth striping in out, taking it off and checking the base (underneath) for corrosion..............sorted my problem, could be yours. If not, then at least its eliminated :unsure:

Keep us posted <_<

Just quickly removed and brushed down the battery connectors, plugged 'em back in and disconnected the new relay: we have power!

Swapped the fuses around again, made sure a 35A was on the kenlowe circuit and plugged it back in (there is no power going through the horn cicuit for lack of fuses). Engine fired up first time perfectly with the choke, headlights and tail-lights working too.

Will replace the fuses with the new ones from Enginuity and will keep an eye on the kenlowe. As it wouldn't have kicked in at (cold) start last night, I'm not convinced the fan is to blame.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your help. I'm dreading the number of beers I now owe to you guys! Bring on Malvern!

Eli