braided injection pipes

hi been looking through archive for veiws or advice on braided injector pipe`s but can`t find any I know there is some on here

any how the question is are they ok my back pastic ones have gone brittle and keep cracking

Hi Shuey

I too recall seeing the article... I happen to have a brand new spare set lurking in my garage if you are interested - still in the wrapper. I intended to put them on my TR6 (now gone sadly!). I have decided not to put them on my 5 as I wish to keep it generally as original as possible where practical.

I think these can smarten the engine bay up nicely though!

I believe there can be issues of the Stainless Braided hoses acting as a bit of a heat sink that can sometimes cause vapourisation problems from time to time - especially if the car is left stopped for a short while, though I have no experience of this.

Hope this helps.

Rgds

Edited by ianhoward

Must say in the days of mechanical injection on my 6 I have used both types without adverse effects :) but some people prefer the black ones, and they are much cheaper. I also have seen red and green pipes, but these were not my taste ;)

In the previous topics it had been mentioned that braided pipes tend to absorb/collect more heat, leading to vapor lock, but I never noticed this :)

Must say in the days of mechanical injection on my 6 I have used both types without adverse effects :) but some people prefer the black ones, and they are much cheaper. I also have seen red and green pipes, but these were not my taste ;)

In the previous topics it had been mentioned that braided pipes tend to absorb/collect more heat, leading to vapor lock, but I never noticed this :)

I agree with Jean, i have the braided hoses on mine, have been on for many years and i have not had problems with them.

I did put them on as i was paranoid that the plastic ones could one day ware a hole, as they used to touch the underside of the bonnet even though they were clamped together. I did not fancy the resultant effect of fuel spraying out into the engine bay.

Just my thoughts

Regards

Guy

Edited by Jersey Royal

hi thanks very much for advice I`ve just read through the links from jonlar (thanks very interesting) think I`ll sleep on it tonight then read them again general opinion seems to be they look good but may be some starting probs I know I can get new hose to renew the old ones this is the same as high presure air lines on hgv`s and as the w/shop where I work has rolls of the stuff it is cheaper but I still like the look of the braided

I had a cracked fuel line on Cylinder no1, very disturbing to see fuel around the fitting.

Tried to refit the plastic pipe many times, heated in hot water used a block to try and tap in on. Nightmare, gave up, always leaked.

Fitted braided lines and have never looked back.

My early six runs hot and used to missfire when in traffic, fitted a Kenlowe which fixed it, proving to me it was due to a hot engine bay.

I therefore was concerned about the braided types but have never had a problem.

I feel a lot more confident about the fittings, the plastic ones feel so brittle you'd think it could go at anytime.

The "plastic" fuel lines are nylon I think. They only go brittle when old.

The braided ones may well be more wear resistant but what is inside the stainless steel braid? Presumably similar material to the original.

You can probably buy a whole roll of the injector pipe from a supplier such as Pirtek for the price of a single braided hose.

Making the hoses isn't that difficult once you've done a little practice & made suitable clamp.