After 15 years of wanting to own a 5 and a few weeks of seeking specific info on this car (my public thanks to Roger Ferris for all he was able to do), we have now become proud owners of a TR5

The car in question was considered "lost" according to the register many years ago and in this time has had a very sheltered life, owned by a mining magnate and the last owner for a collective 33 years.

It only has 57,000 miles on the clock (investigations have proven this to be the true milage), and whilst now royal blue (instead of its original white), sitting on strange hot wire type alloys and missing the original hard top, it appears that all other orig equip is all there.

The car has no rust, although it is very tired and in need of a lot of TLC.

The photos make the paint look a lot better than it is and the engine bay and boot are awful to say the least

The intention is to fully restore the car, however for the moment I'm just enjoying finally having a 5 in my garage.

Details:

Comm No: CP3097 (5th last Tr5 built)

Build date: 19 Sept 1968

Colour: New White (currently Royal blue)

Trim: Black Ambla

Details: Built for the Australian Market

Date shipped: not yet known (BMIHT to confirm)

P7010030.jpg

P7010029.jpg

P7010034.jpg

Hi Andy

Patience has paid off then!!! Hope you enjoy the '5' as much as my family do with ours!

Are you intending to change the wheels! There doesn't look as though there's much room at the front for suspension travel... :blink:

Best regards

Hi Andy

Patience has paid off then!!! Hope you enjoy the '5' as much as my family do with ours!

Are you intending to change the wheels! There doesn't look as though there's much room at the front for suspension travel... :blink:

Best regards

Hi Andy

Best regards

Hi Ian

Your pick up is accurate, not only is their no travel, the top bush on the RHS shock is shot (although the shock is excellent), the combination makes for interesting sounds over any decent bumps !!

I definately want to change the wheels and tyres, although the guards have been flared so I'm in two minds as to whether I should change over now or when I get the guards re-rolled.

Just a question - what size wheels and tyres would you recommend for the 5, I note from the tech specs that the 6's had bigger tyres at production, but how have you found this as a 5 owner ??

Many thnaks

Andy

Hi Ian

Your pick up is accurate, not only is their no travel, the top bush on the RHS shock is shot (although the shock is excellent), the combination makes for interesting sounds over any decent bumps !!

I definately want to change the wheels and tyres, although the guards have been flared so I'm in two minds as to whether I should change over now or when I get the guards re-rolled.

Just a question - what size wheels and tyres would you recommend for the 5, I note from the tech specs that the 6's had bigger tyres at production, but how have you found this as a 5 owner ??

Many thnaks

Andy

Andy,

It would be great if you brought your 5 to Malvern and let us all see the car at the 40th birhtday celebration. Please let me know if this is your intention.

Cheers Peter Moffatt

It would be great if you brought your 5 to Malvern and let us all see the car at the 40th birhtday celebration. Please let me know if this is your intention.

He would at least be in with a decent chance of winning the 'long distance attendance' award but I suspect would require some financial inducement :rolleyes:

looks goood i like the wheels.It is nice to see something different than spokes or minilites

i have 195/65/15 avon tyres on revolution wheels on mine .which i believe are TR6 size and they are fine,but you need to have strong arms for slow parralel parking.

your pics are good it does not look like it needs a full restoration,you shoud enjoy it as it is if you can.

hope to see you at malvern?

Andy,

well done to find it in OZ. Can't help agreeing with the pundits that the 5 was the pick of the bunch.

Make sure you do enough burning round in it, before you start the restoration, to ensure you don't get withdrawal symptoms during the long hard slog.

Andy, congratulations! You'll have to add the profile to the TR Register International site, ( http://www.trregistry.com/start/registry/html/TR5/index.htm )

I have 3087 and was wondering where the later vehicles were. I came to the USA 12 years ago and 3087 is in Los Altos, south of San Francisco, and is holding up well. So I'll have to skip Malvern, though it would be fun to attend...

My biggest challenge have been PI setup. But one or two calls to Malcolm at Prestige got me through the toughest issues. Thank goodness for cheap international calls!

Enjoy the journey,

Jimpost-4209-1179288799_thumb.jpg

post-4209-1179288799_thumb.jpg

Andy, congratulations! You'll have to add the profile to the TR Register International site, ( http://www.trregistry.com/start/registry/html/TR5/index.htm )

I have 3087 and was wondering where the later vehicles were. I came to the USA 12 years ago and 3087 is in Los Altos, south of San Francisco, and is holding up well. So I'll have to skip Malvern, though it would be fun to attend...

My biggest challenge have been PI setup. But one or two calls to Malcolm at Prestige got me through the toughest issues. Thank goodness for cheap international calls!

Enjoy the journey,

Jimpost-4209-1179288799_thumb.jpg

Hi Jim

The thought has crossed my mind as well, with ours being 3097 with 3101 the last built, I wonder how many between ours and 3101 are left

I 'll ask Roger Ferrie if he has any info as he seems to have an amazing knowledge of these cars

If I find anything interesting, I'll keep you posted

Cheers

Andy

Lovely part of the world althogh the thought of driving a convertible in WA makes my scalp recoil!

Compared to Edinburgh I can see your point, of course you wouldn't drive it in the middle of the day in summer

I still think that 22C summer evenings (or many winter days !), top down, cruising the coast road...... pretty hard to beat